Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Canon 5D3 or 70D body for current lens collection?

Debbie

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 5D3 or 70D body for current lens collection?

I am torn between these two, but maybe someone can advise which body would be better with my current lenses? I do a variety of photography, mostly nature but sometimes sports and weddings, but not professionally (yet). This will be an upgrade from my 20D

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Telephoto Zoom
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Telephoto Zoom
Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG MACRO
Canon 18-55mm (stock lens on my 20D)

And, has anyone bought them refurbished? A little nervous since I called Canon and they couldn't give me in info on refurbished models other than its a chance on what I would get (returned, overstock etc. No way to tell the shutter count either)

Thanks!

Edited on Feb 08, 2016 at 11:49 PM · View previous versions

Feb 08, 2016 at 07:53 PM
Fred Meebley
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 5D3 or 70D body for current lens collection?

Which version of 5d are you looking at?

Feb 08, 2016 at 07:59 PM
Debbie

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 5D3 or 70D body for current lens collection?

5D Mark III, wish I could afford the 5DS or the 5DSR!

Edited on Feb 08, 2016 at 08:19 PM · View previous versions

Feb 08, 2016 at 08:03 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 5D3 or 70D body for current lens collection?

Hi Debbie,

I'm a full frame type of person, so I'd go for the 5D, but it wouldn't work with the EF-S 18-55 lens. OTOH, the 70D is a much more modern camera, which would have much better AF for the occasional sporting events (I haven't used a 70D), but the 5D could provide some sweet full-frame image separation in situations where it counts (i.e. portraits, weddings, ...).

OTOH, I think you should consider saving up for a little longer, and buy a 6D.

P.S. I know that using abbreviated camera names can save a lot of electrons, but it helps prospective respomders a lot if you use unambiguous names: 5D is one particular camera, just as 5D III is. "DS" is not, as there are many 1D-series "DS" cameras. Just sayin.

Edited on Feb 08, 2016 at 08:10 PM · View previous versions

Feb 08, 2016 at 08:04 PM
Debbie

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 5D3 or 70D body for current lens collection?

Isn't the 6D is less expensive and better for portraits and landscapes while the 7D is better for sports and nature? Reason I chose the 5D (or 70D), it seemed more versatile?

Feb 08, 2016 at 08:10 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 5D3 or 70D body for current lens collection?

Debbie wrote:
Isn't the 6D is less expensive and better for portraits and landscapes while the 7D is better for sports and nature? Reason I chose the 5D (or 70D), it seemed more versatile?

Yes, the 6D is less expensive and less versatile than the 5DIII. OTOH, the 6D is more expensive and more versatile than the 5D.

The 5D is a very old camera. The 5DIII is a relatively new camera. It helps a lot when you specify version numbers. For example, "should I trade up from my iPhone to an iPhone?", vs. "should I trade up from my iPhone 3 to an iPhone 6s?".

P.S. I use a Galaxy Note.

Feb 08, 2016 at 08:18 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 5D3 or 70D body for current lens collection?

Hi Debbie,

Like JColwell I favor full frame but I just purchased a 70D refurbished from Canon and its a fine camera. I wouldn't worry about buying refurbished from Canon. You have two weeks to return for full refund and a one year warranty. Unless you feel you are often reach limited, I would go for a full frame, either 5D3 or 6D. I love my 5D3, its my main camera and with f8 autofocus you can put a 1.4x on your 100-400 and achieve the reach of a 70D (which won't f8 AF). Your first three lenses should work wonderfully with a 5D3, that would be my first choice. It should keep you happy for as long as you have kept your 20D.

Feb 08, 2016 at 08:32 PM
Fred Meebley
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 5D3 or 70D body for current lens collection?

i love my 5d3 and would buy it all over again. The only advantage that I see for the 70d is video auto focus and flip/touch screen. I have been thinking about getting one for a camcorder/second camera. Everyone I know that has bought a refurb has been happy with it. I don't have any experience with the 6d but hear it's a wonderful camera for the price.

Feb 08, 2016 at 08:36 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 5D3 or 70D body for current lens collection?

I agree with Jeff's opinion.

Feb 08, 2016 at 08:38 PM
dmahar
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 5D3 or 70D body for current lens collection?

If it is your only body then the the 5Diii every time. Sell your ef-s lens to hep fund it - or to get a 1.4 TC to retain your current longest effective focal length. Your 24-70 will be as wide on the 5D iii as the 18 is on a crop.

Feb 08, 2016 at 08:45 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 5D3 or 70D body for current lens collection?

Debbie wrote:
5D Mark III, wish I could afford the 5DS or the 5DSR!

Whew, I thought you meant the original 5D. Great sensor, rubbish everything else, especially AF and is so old it lacks so many desirable features it's not funny.

5D3 or 6D in a heartbeat over 70D. You'll need to dump the cheapo 18-55 and save some pennies for an UWA FF alternative and longer term I'd swap the Sigma out even for the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC.

Feb 08, 2016 at 09:09 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.