Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Want to add extension tubes to Nikkor 105mm or other options to increase...

loopylulu

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Want to add extension tubes to Nikkor 105mm or other options to increase magnification

Hello there,

I have a D3100 with Nikkor 105mm macro lens and a pretty good tripod and I am very interested in insect photography. I was immediately taken with Thomas Shahan's insect photographs and immediately I realized I would never be able to do that with just my Nikkor 105mm.

Should I invest in some extension tubes and since price is an issue right now can I trust any of these from aliexpress which I have never used but at the same time I am not naïve and understand the risks.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?spm=2114.01010208.8.3.4ax26I&initiative_id=QRW_20160207160157&SearchText=extension+nikkor&productId=32373620114

If you have any other suggestions on how to increase my magnification at a relatively cheap cost I would greatly appreciate the assistance.

thank you for any help with this.

Feb 07, 2016 at 07:10 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Want to add extension tubes to Nikkor 105mm or other options to increase magnification

Think you have 2 choices - either a set of extension tubes - you should be able to find some fairly cheap auto tubes on Amazon. This will get you to around 2:1 mag using all the tubes.

You could also use an add on diopter or add on a reversed lens around 50mm.
For the former a Raynox MSN202 diopter will take you to 2:1 to 3:1 mag approx.
A reversed 50mm lens using a macro coupling ring (male/male fitting the filters of both lenses) is another cheap option especially if you have a lens around 50mm but you can buy old (non autofocus) lenses on ebay pretty cheaply. It doesn't matter what the original camera fit was as you will use it backwards.

Brian V

Feb 08, 2016 at 01:41 AM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Want to add extension tubes to Nikkor 105mm or other options to increase magnification

No matter how I say this it's gonna sound bad, and I'm not really trying to put Thomas down (I happen to like his work as well). But keep in mind that most of his insect macro photos are heavily cropped, and that's why the subject looks so large in the frame. But what looks good on the web doesn't necessarily look good in print, and that's one of the reasons why I don't crop in post (I'm not alone -there are quite a few who don't). Even if you get that 105mm up to 2x you're still not going to get the framing that Thomas does unless you're willing to throw a lot of pixels away, or shoot at a much higher magnification...

Feb 08, 2016 at 02:00 AM
loopylulu

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Want to add extension tubes to Nikkor 105mm or other options to increase magnification

Thank you for your response. When you say a 50mm lens, can I use the standard 18-55m lens that came with the camera or do I specifically need a 50mm lens?

thanks again

Feb 08, 2016 at 09:37 AM
loopylulu

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Want to add extension tubes to Nikkor 105mm or other options to increase magnification

I can appreciate that, I do understand what you are saying and it makes sense. Thanks for the honesty.

Feb 08, 2016 at 09:37 AM
loopylulu

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Want to add extension tubes to Nikkor 105mm or other options to increase magnification

Do you have any suggestions or links for the macro coupling ring. I do not want to order the wrong one if I go that route.

Feb 08, 2016 at 09:38 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Want to add extension tubes to Nikkor 105mm or other options to increase magnification

loopylulu wrote:
Thank you for your response. When you say a 50mm lens, can I use the standard 18-55m lens that came with the camera or do I specifically need a 50mm lens?

thanks again

You would be better off with a prime lens around 50mm.
The coupling ring you get depends on the filter thread si9zes of the two lenses you are using - ie the Nikon 105mm and whatever 50mm lens you are planning on using.
Search for "male male macro coupling adapter" on ebay etc.

Brian v.

Feb 08, 2016 at 09:44 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.