New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · New 1DxII, CFAST SLOT?

ggreene
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New 1DxII, CFAST SLOT?

Not sure why Canon isn't looking at Nikon's releases and the resulting user feedback. No need for the 5Ds/5DsR combo as Nikon already went through the growing pains on that. No need for the CFast/CF combo either as Nikon went through the pains on that as well. If your opponent is going to give you free market research take it.

The D5 storage option is the superior solution to this. Let the user make the choice and let them decide when to upgrade.

Feb 07, 2016 at 04:19 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New 1DxII, CFAST SLOT?

ggreene wrote:
Not sure why Canon isn't looking at Nikon's releases and the resulting user feedback. No need for the 5Ds/5DsR combo as Nikon already went through the growing pains on that. No need for the CFast/CF combo either as Nikon went through the pains on that as well. If your opponent is going to give you free market research take it.

The D5 storage option is the superior solution to this. Let the user make the choice and let them decide when to upgrade.

I think both companies want to please everyone. My guess is that those who want both memory card types and camera with and without filter is split 50-50.

Feb 07, 2016 at 04:23 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New 1DxII, CFAST SLOT?

arbitrage wrote:
Seems that way, not sure who is subsidizing the card, could be Canon, could be the retailers, could be Sandisk.

Weird. When I was placing the order (a few minutes before the official announcement) the "package" was $300 more expensive, thus more expensive than the things bought individually - I guess the package went down. Oh well.

Feb 07, 2016 at 07:23 PM
JaimitoFrog
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · New 1DxII, CFAST SLOT?

dolina wrote:
What I find annoying is there are two formats trying to replace CF cards. These are CFast and XQD. One is based on SATA technology while the other is PCIe.

With the decline in popularity of high end still/video cameras this only means higher costs for memory cards.

This is in contrast to SD cards low end or consumer application. It enjoys lower pricing because of more competition and volume.

Don't forget Sony memory sticks. SD are still more popular among all storage cards.

Feb 07, 2016 at 07:42 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · New 1DxII, CFAST SLOT?

JaimitoFrog wrote:
Don't forget Sony memory sticks. SD are still more popular among all storage cards.

Didnt Sony give up on that years ago?

Feb 07, 2016 at 07:46 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · New 1DxII, CFAST SLOT?

stanj wrote:
Weird. When I was placing the order (a few minutes before the official announcement) the "package" was $300 more expensive, thus more expensive than the things bought individually - I guess the package went down. Oh well.

Stan, call your seller they may match the 'newer' price...

Feb 07, 2016 at 08:01 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · New 1DxII, CFAST SLOT?

Imagemaster wrote:
Sounds like Canon has given you a choice, unlike Apple.

Point being, if you in the strata that can afford this then you can bear a little extra pain by updating your memory. It's about moving into a next era.

Granted, if Canon had decided on dual CFast then cutting a deal with SanDisk would have been prudent.

No doubt the EOS-1 D V will go dual.

Question - will this dual config result in a repeat of the dog's breakfast 5D3 CF-SD decision?

I agree it is good to have choice, but over the last 10 years look at how much gear we have had to leave behind due to advancement. It looks like CF cards and their speeds, and pins, are next.

Feb 07, 2016 at 08:13 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · New 1DxII, CFAST SLOT?

ggreene wrote:

I know, right?

It looks like Canon is 1 generation behind Nikon with those decisions!

As for writing to both cards as a backup, video files are saved only to 1 card on 1Dx. Therefore it negates the backup in the camera right there if you are shooting video...

CFast cards are more popular in video scene compared to XQD, so I believe CFast will win, and I'm surpised and also pi$$ed off that Canon went ahed with having two different cards in 1DxII especially that they are supplying free card and card reader. Would love to have two CFast card so I can dump the dying CF format... Sorry, but I do not see a 5D mark IV having two CFast cards, knowing Canon they will cripple the system to a CF or CFast and SD card again...

I really thought that 7D mark II will be the first Canon camera introducing CFast cards to Canon consumers. What a let down...

Feb 07, 2016 at 08:27 PM
JaimitoFrog
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · New 1DxII, CFAST SLOT?

They probably did market research and most news agency probably weren't pleased to dump their CF cards.

Feb 07, 2016 at 08:35 PM
melcat
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · New 1DxII, CFAST SLOT?

I just want to point out that it's possibe to do a "warm backup" to the slower card within the camera. (At least, it was in earlier 1 series.) Instead of setting the camera to write to both cards as it shoots, write only to the faster one, but after a session copy the current folder to the slower card using the menu item in the camera. Then create a new folder on the faster card and shoot to that.

This probably isn't suitable for a professional covering an unrepeatable event like a wedding or sports final. But it is, for example, suitable for a once-in-a-lifetime trip shooting wildlife, when you can do the copy after each outing (zodiac ride, safari drive etc.) If you lose the shots from one outing, another one is coming. Because the cards never leave the camera, you eliminate the chance of handling errors like mixing up or losing cards (actually the largest risk), and you don't need access to another device to copy the cards.

Canon don't say what the camera does if it gets an error on one card when writing to both as it shoots. I'd love to know that the shot is saved to the remaining good card, but Canon don't say that's how it works. If it just stops and displays an error, you've more than doubled your chance of error by using two cards (as you would normally use the more reliable of the two formats).

Feb 07, 2016 at 08:53 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · New 1DxII, CFAST SLOT?

ggreene wrote:

But the choice is only either or. I actually prefer both (CF+CFast) and likely many other people will as well.

The 5D IV will probably have CFast and UHS-II SD, either of which will be fast enough.

EBH

Feb 07, 2016 at 09:13 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · New 1DxII, CFAST SLOT?

arbitrage wrote:
Seems that way, not sure who is subsidizing the card, could be Canon, could be the retailers, could be Sandisk.

stanj wrote:

StillFingerz wrote:
Stan, call your seller they may match the 'newer' price...

That would certainly have worked (B&H), but I ordered the body only

Feb 07, 2016 at 09:25 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · New 1DxII, CFAST SLOT?

EB-1 wrote:
But the choice is only either or. I actually prefer both (CF+CFast) and likely many other people will as well.

The 5D IV will probably have CFast and UHS-II SD, either of which will be fast enough.

EBH

Peak speed of each

CFast - 600MB/s or 4000x
SD UHS-II - 312MB/s or 2080x

Feb 07, 2016 at 11:04 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · New 1DxII, CFAST SLOT?

dolina wrote:
Peak speed of each

CFast - 600MB/s or 4000x
SD UHS-II - 312MB/s or 2080x

Exactly.

EBH

Feb 08, 2016 at 12:13 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · New 1DxII, CFAST SLOT?

EB-1 wrote:
Exactly.

EBH

Although I find the UDMA7 CF cards a tad overpriced compared to UHS-II cards. They command about a $20-30 premium at the moment.

Feb 08, 2016 at 12:52 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · New 1DxII, CFAST SLOT?

JaimitoFrog wrote:
They probably did market research and most news agency probably weren't pleased to dump their CF cards.

Possibly. And with the Olympics approaching they probably can't make the new cards fast enough.

Feb 08, 2016 at 01:38 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.