Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Tree Swallow / YR Warbler

thomas_1950
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tree Swallow / YR Warbler

Greetings,

I was not able to get out much in 2015 but it is nice to get back out again, have fun and post some pictures.

A twisting, turning, Tree Swallow jetting by at Mach 3: Nikon D800e, f/6.3, 1/3200 sec, ISO 400

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y426/thomas1904/_DSC2892%20jpg%201200%20FB_zpsuksw0suf.jpg

Yellow-rumped Warblers are cute too!: Nikon D800e, f/7.4, 1/2000 sec, ISO 400

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y426/thomas1904/_DSC2347%20jpg%201200%20FB_zps8wdtzvze.jpg

Yellow-rumped Warbler, a clever name. : Nikon D800e, f/7.4, 1/2000 sec, ISO 400

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y426/thomas1904/_DSC2351%20jpg%201200%20FB_zpspavhfwsh.jpg

Feb 06, 2016 at 12:05 PM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tree Swallow / YR Warbler

I like all three images but there seems to be some residue from selecting or processing your subjects, particularly in the first. I would like to see a less edited version if you have one. I would guess that these are crops.

Feb 06, 2016 at 01:45 PM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tree Swallow / YR Warbler

Love these harbingers of spring in Canada. Gives us hope they will soon be coming north.
I think the images may be over sharpened.
Don

Feb 06, 2016 at 02:21 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tree Swallow / YR Warbler

its nice to see these this time of year as they are our warm month birds. I agree with Don the detailed areas on the last 2 seem a bit crunchy. Capturing a tree swallow in flight is challenging yet a lot of fun. Good job getting this one in frame Thomas.

Morris

Feb 06, 2016 at 02:54 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tree Swallow / YR Warbler

Nicely done Thomas, but I have to agree about the over sharpening ~ Ron

Feb 06, 2016 at 04:43 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tree Swallow / YR Warbler

Congratulations on the swallow in flight, not easily done. Love them all.

Birdie

Feb 06, 2016 at 09:37 PM
HarveyGold
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tree Swallow / YR Warbler

DonGut wrote:
Love these harbingers of spring in Canada. Gives us hope they will soon be coming north.
I think the images may be over sharpened.
Don

+1

Feb 07, 2016 at 09:48 AM
thomas_1950
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tree Swallow / YR Warbler

Many thanks for your comments and constructive criticism. What sharpening technique would you recommend aside from smart sharpen and unsharp mask in Photoshop?

The percent of keeper pictures are super low for me shooting the little dive bombing Tree Swallows but it was nice to get one.

Feb 09, 2016 at 01:44 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tree Swallow / YR Warbler

thomas_1950 wrote:
Many thanks for your comments and constructive criticism. What sharpening technique would you recommend aside from smart sharpen and unsharp mask in Photoshop?

The percent of keeper pictures are super low for me shooting the little dive bombing Tree Swallows but it was nice to get one.

Thomas - I don't know anyone who has a a high percentage of keepers on these guys. As far as sharpening, there are as many techniques as there are people doing PP. I'll tell you what I do, and I hope others will give advise too.

I use PS 5 and do my first bit of sharpening in Bridge. But I first remove all sharpening and then adjust noise. After NR in Bridge, I use the sharpening slider in Bridge to bring back some of the sharpness lost from NR.
Next I apply some sharpening, but not a lot in PS. This may well be selective sharpening of the subject only so there will be no effect on the BG.
Finally, I sharpen a little after I resize because resizing seems to rob a bit of sharpness.

I suggest you take a photo with lots of fine detail and open it in PS. Then select Unsharp Mask. While watching the fine detail, move the slider to the right. Some of the fine detail will start to lighten or turn white. When that occurs, you have gone too far, so you will need to back off until the lightening is removed.

As I said, there are many ways to sharpen, and some are probably better/easier than my technique, so I suggest you try several and pick the one that works best for you ~ Ron

Feb 09, 2016 at 08:27 AM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tree Swallow / YR Warbler

Well done grabing the swallow.
Phil

Feb 09, 2016 at 09:00 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.