New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Battery quest for 5D MKI

beenaround

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Battery quest for 5D MKI

Just picked up my first Canon, and ive been having a little trouble searching for batteries. Id like to pick up a pair, and im not sure where to go.

Ive dug through reviews, and checked links but nothing really says, go here. Get these. You will be happy.

Im not looking to drop $100 on the pair but I also dont want to waste money on garbage. The camera came with a Canon single charger which seems to work fine, but if someone could point me in the direction of a decent dual charger that would be great as well. I believe the BP-511 or 511a is what im looking for.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

Feb 06, 2016 at 09:27 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Battery quest for 5D MKI

The BP-511a is the correct battery.
It is still sold new, e.g., at BH.

EBH

Feb 06, 2016 at 09:31 AM
beenaround

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Battery quest for 5D MKI

Is the Watson good to go? Or am I gonna have to drop the $105 on the Canon?

Feb 06, 2016 at 09:36 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Battery quest for 5D MKI

Just get a couple off eBay with a spare charger. Third party never last as long as brand, but no matter.

Feb 06, 2016 at 10:57 AM
qc_mountain
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Battery quest for 5D MKI

If you don't mind waiting 2-3 week's for shipping you could get Chinese Battery for a fraction of the price they are fairly good for the price.... i use them for my 5DMkII with no problem's

you can get 2 Battery's a wall charger and car charger plug for $24.95us and Free shipping

http://www.aliexpress.com/

Francois

Feb 06, 2016 at 11:41 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Battery quest for 5D MKI

I've been using this brand for my Fuji XT1 and more recently for my Canon 7D2 and 5D3. I have had no problems with them. They seem to last about the same as the Canon ones. Here is the link to the 5D ones....

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-Charger-PowerShot/dp/B005BSKKGU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1454777794&sr=8-3&keywords=wasabi+battery+canon+5d

Feb 06, 2016 at 11:58 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Battery quest for 5D MKI

I'm not a fan of third-party batteries, having had quite a few less-than optimal units and several that failed in unfortunate ways. I think you might be better off with 5D batteries than with batteries for later versions of the 5D, though I would start with at least one reliable Canon unit.

The issue isn't clear cut. With another camera I use, I have a couple of the OEM batteries plus a couple of third-party batteries. The third-party batteries work OK (and their charger is fine), but they don't hold a charge as long and they seem to have lost their ability to hold a charge over time more quickly. They are fine for secondary "may use in a pinch" batteries, but I don't trust them as first line batteries.

I had a very bad experience with one other third party battery supplier and a 5DII. I had used batteries from that supplier with my 5D and they worked OK, so when they started to offer 5DII batteries I ordered a pair. One was dead on arrival and the other held perhaps 20% of a normal charge. I returned them and received replacements... neither of which worked. I now simply get the Canon batteries and move on.

Yes, it seems wrong to spend the Canon prices when something promising performance at a much lower price exists. However, as a breed, these third-party batteries have not proven to be as reliable. You might get something that works or you might not. It might last as long as Canon or it might not. It might work for a while and it might fail prematurely.

When I'm making photographs, for me it is unacceptable to be unsure of whether the batteries will work as expected, and saving a few dollars and losing photographs is not an attractive trade. (I discovered the defect in one set of batteries on a long backcountry pack trip on which I had calculated enough batteries for a week plus a small overestimated. Two third party batteries turned out to give reduced service and I was nearly in a heap of trouble.)

Dan

Feb 06, 2016 at 12:04 PM
Don George
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Battery quest for 5D MKI

SterlingTek.com I've used there batteries for years with no problems.

Feb 06, 2016 at 12:47 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Battery quest for 5D MKI

Don George wrote:

I believe those are the same as the Wasabi ones I linked above. These ones are sold under a lot of brand names. In Canada I actually have them under the BM brand.

Feb 06, 2016 at 01:08 PM
beenaround

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Battery quest for 5D MKI

Appreciate all the info guys - im going to go with the third party stuff for now. If I find they are garbage i'll end up looking into the Canon branded ones.

Feb 06, 2016 at 02:00 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Battery quest for 5D MKI

I've had the best luck with STK batteries, albeit still not as consistent as my OEM batteries. Like others have written, the market market batteries tend to not hold a charge as long and seem to have a shorter useful life. I had one that overheated and was so swollen it was almost impossible to remove.

Feb 06, 2016 at 04:05 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Battery quest for 5D MKI

Don George wrote:

I had good luck with their 5D batteries many years ago... and very bad luck with some others of theirs. (See my earlier post for a story.)

I've had somewhat better luck with Wasabi batteries for my Fujifilm camera, but these batteries do not hold a charge as well as stock batteries.

You can take a chance and things might work for you OK, or they might not. It isn't a chance that I find worth the few dollars of savings.

Dan

Feb 06, 2016 at 04:21 PM
beenaround

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Battery quest for 5D MKI

I understand there is certain risk, and I certainly do not want to damage my camera. However if it was a few bucks that would be one thing, but in this case 2 Canon OEM batteries are $75 more for than the 2 mentioned above.

Like I had said in the first post, I dont want to buy garbage and waste money. But I also dont want to spend $100 + on 2 batteries.

It doesnt really seem like there is a middle of the road...

Feb 06, 2016 at 05:44 PM
Mickey
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Battery quest for 5D MKI

SterlingTek will do you fine.

Feb 06, 2016 at 07:19 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Battery quest for 5D MKI

beenaround wrote:
I understand there is certain risk, and I certainly do not want to damage my camera. However if it was a few bucks that would be one thing, but in this case 2 Canon OEM batteries are $75 more for than the 2 mentioned above.

Like I had said in the first post, I dont want to buy garbage and waste money. But I also dont want to spend $100 + on 2 batteries.

It doesnt really seem like there is a middle of the road...

In life, you usually get what you pay for.

Feb 08, 2016 at 12:24 AM
lowbone
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Battery quest for 5D MKI

Don George wrote:

+1

Feb 08, 2016 at 06:56 AM
ciprian.trofin
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Battery quest for 5D MKI

I had good experience with Phottix batteries for my 6D.
http://www.phottix.com/index.php/en/phottix-bp-511a.html

Feb 08, 2016 at 07:22 AM
beenaround

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Battery quest for 5D MKI

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
In life, you usually get what you pay for.

I've said this myself a thousand times and it is a very true statement. However in this case, I'm lucky that this is a hobby and not a full time job.

Feb 08, 2016 at 09:17 AM
cannot

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Battery quest for 5D MKI

I use "generic" batteries in my 5D/5DIII. I don't know the brand for the 5D as I got those from the previous owner, but they work just great. For the 5DIII, I ordered the "BM Premium" batteries from Amazon. I selected this based on the reviews. I paid only $22 for two. Package came with the battery charger, a car charger, and an European adapter plug.

Feb 08, 2016 at 01:24 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.