Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Maurice White (Earth, Wind & Fire)

Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Maurice White (Earth, Wind & Fire)

Lost another one this week. I photographed Maurice, Philip and the whole band on numerous occasions both here in Los Angeles and in Las Vegas, both on stage and in the studio. This is from an EWF show at L.A.'s Universal Amphitheater probably dating back to the late 1980's. In all my experiences with EWF, everyone in or connected with the band has always been of the highest caliber. Professional, courteous, friendly, with no bullshit and no attitude. Maurice was one of the great ones who endured for many decades. I ran into him a few years ago at our local Culver City Trader Joe's. Just happened to be right behind him in line. I tapped him on the shoulder and said "Maurice, what are YOU doing here?" He turned and said, "Peter, a man's gotta eat" He got that right.

This is back in the high speed Ektachrome (ISO 400) days of manual exposure, manual focus Nikon and no hope of spraying or praying.

Maurice White fronting Earth Wind & Fire at the Universal Amphitheater

Feb 05, 2016 at 07:34 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Maurice White (Earth, Wind & Fire)

Great shot!

Feb 05, 2016 at 08:28 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Maurice White (Earth, Wind & Fire)

Great shot and story Peter!
Sad to hear. Thanks for sharing!

Feb 05, 2016 at 11:57 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Maurice White (Earth, Wind & Fire)

I think you sprayed and prayed - one frame per four seconds. Ah, the old days. Great photo.

Feb 06, 2016 at 03:52 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Maurice White (Earth, Wind & Fire)

I'm pretty sure it was either an F3 with motor, which would have been 5 frames per second or an FM with motor at 3.5 fps. But back then I never shot the volume I do today at concert venues. I mean, I shot 2200 frames at The Troubadour just before Christmas. Back then, the motor was used mostly to be able to keep the camera to your eye and not have to physically move to wind the film. Thirty-six frames go by really fast and even then film was expensive. It was all about anticipation and timing.

Feb 06, 2016 at 07:28 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.