Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Idaho Falls and the SE Idaho area - spots for astro and landscape?

arduluth
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Idaho Falls and the SE Idaho area - spots for astro and landscape?

Hey all!

I'm traveling to Idaho Falls for training at the INL next week. I'll be staying in Idaho Falls. I'm going out a day early to have a whole day for hiking and taking pictures. I also plan on doing as much hiking as I can after my day is over, or doing night photography.

I'm looking for places that are within an hour or two from Idaho Falls that are worth checking out. I've had some good recommendations from reddit on where to hike, but FM seemed like it'd the best place to find out where to photograph.

I'm interested in all sorts of ideas on what to check out, but I'm especially interested in:

1. Astrophotography - something to do (other than catch up work!) after a day of training. Anywhere to recommend that might provide some interesting foregrounds, tree/mountain/landscape silhouettes, places with a neat curve to the landscape, etc?
2. Sunrises and sunsets - any nice overlooks for watching a sunrise? This is mostly for the sake of enjoyment not photography, though a landscape worth photographing wouldn't hurt. Not sure I'll make it out in time to watch the sun set, but places to do this would also be great.
3. Formations, landmarks, ecologies, etc that are special to the area

No lenses longer than 200mm or wider than 24mm. I'm not into wildlife/birding.

Feb 05, 2016 at 02:36 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Idaho Falls and the SE Idaho area - spots for astro and landscape?

You can reach either side of the Tetons within two hours from Idaho Falls
The Idaho side, look for Driggs, ID, is much closer

Bob

Feb 06, 2016 at 07:54 AM
John Zeman
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Idaho Falls and the SE Idaho area - spots for astro and landscape?

It would be a good 2 hour drive from Idaho Falls but Shoshone Falls near Twin Falls Idaho was an impressive waterfall and a fun shoot for me. However I have no idea what it would be like this time of year.

Feb 06, 2016 at 09:39 AM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Idaho Falls and the SE Idaho area - spots for astro and landscape?

If 22 is open, Grand Teton NP is ~2 hours away.

Snake River Gorge, east of Alpine is a pretty drive.

Catch a snow-coat tour out of West Yellowstone. (Touristy, but pretty!)

Craters of the Moon is ~15 minutes from INL.

Feb 06, 2016 at 11:28 AM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Idaho Falls and the SE Idaho area - spots for astro and landscape?

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I flew in last night, and hit Craters of the Moon today. Had a nice snowshoe.

Hoping I'll make it to Grand Teton NP on Friday or Saturday, playing it by ear.

Feb 08, 2016 at 12:19 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Idaho Falls and the SE Idaho area - spots for astro and landscape?

just drove through idaho falls from jackson yesterday on my way home. snow on the ground. teton pass is open (was yesterday).

Feb 08, 2016 at 01:57 PM
BugLightGeek
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Idaho Falls and the SE Idaho area - spots for astro and landscape?

So no road closures from Idaho Falls all the way up to Jackson?
What about from Jackson up to Yellowstone?

I'm headed out to Rexburg March 20 - 25 and am hoping to get away for a bit of shooting. Can't make up my mind where to go...so many choices, so little time!!

Feb 23, 2016 at 03:01 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.