New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2016 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

hotdog12
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

When traveling on vacation, I pay attention to the extremes. My choice would be the 16-35, 70-200, 1.4x and maybe the 35mm for night street shooting. Have fun! Beautiful country.

Feb 06, 2016 at 11:24 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

dtolios wrote:
I love that there is a consensus: i.e. we all love to travel light, but light is totally relative, so we are all-over-the-place

For those that did go to Thailand or similar trips for 2-3 weeks, what was the average flash card "allowance" per week roughly? I understand that my cameras are not 36MP, so please mention the camera model / sensor size for context.

That's down to how you shoot. Per week minimum would be 256GB (2x 128GB SD cards) - personally that would give me a little overhead. But if I stumble upon something exciting the sky's the limit. I would hazard a guess at 8x 128GB SD cards and you'd be safe. You can find 16GB emergency SD cards at almost all Tesco Lotus stores, even the mini stores. I carry all my SD cards in an emptied, clean, bright red hair wax pot - a small one.

Feb 06, 2016 at 11:47 AM
Michael H
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

I know people's opinions of what "light" means, but go light! For me the past couple SE Asia trips that meant a 1D body and a 24-70. I also purchased a 70-200/f4 for some reach and lightweight with killer quality. The last trip I might have used it for 2-3% of my images.

Planning a trip now and I will take 1 body and a 24-70. Done. Of course a few batteries, cards and a small Nexto backup device though dual cards would likely have me just carrying enough small, light and passive cards. The only thing that might sway me another way would be the weather sealed Oly E-M1 and the 12-40. The lightweight is awesome.

Note that both of these are well sealed units. The weather resistance is very important to me as I simply don't want to be overly concerned.

Feb 06, 2016 at 12:17 PM
taemo
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

bring the focal lengths that you like to shoot the most AND also identify the two type of photography you want to do.

like for myself, I'm more into street, travel and landscape photography and my favourite focal length are 28mm and 50mm. Only time I bring a longer lens is if I foresee shooting wildlife which is not really my forte.
I'm also gearing up for our Asia trip this coming march (HK, Thailand, Singapore, Japan) and cameras I'm bringing are:
XE2 w/ XF18 2 and XF35 1.4
M240 w/ 35mm 50mm
XA4
will use a M adapter in case I want to get a 75mm focal length

still deciding whether to bring a M 28mm lens but I'll see first how I like the XF18 on the XE2 fw4.0.
im bringing the M 35mm lens in case I want a compromise between the 28mm and 500

Feb 06, 2016 at 12:22 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

The first time in SE Asia, I brought a 5D3/7D and 3 lenses (17-40, 24-105, 70-200)....it was okay but after that trip I decided to buy a Fuji mirrorless system as I just didn't find it worth it to lug the DSLR for landscapes and temples. For me I'm more into wildlife and birds so I don't feel the need to have all the best gear for travel photography.

My second trip I would have just brought the Fuji (and I did) but half of that trip was birding and orang-utans so ended up bringing even more gears like 200-400 and 1DX....so that plan didn't really work

If I was going back for a trip more like the first one, I'd bring my Fuji setup only (XT-1, 18-55, 23 and 14 and maybe my 55-200).

Feb 06, 2016 at 12:37 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

arbitrage wrote:
If I was going back for a trip more like the first one, I'd bring my Fuji setup only (XT-1, 18-55, 23 and 14 and maybe my 55-200).

Exactly. Don't fret about what you might not be able to photograph, revel in what you can.

Feb 06, 2016 at 08:23 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

I'm amazed at what some people call "traveling light." For some, that even includes a 6D or a 1D body! That's not "light." I used to travel like that, i.e. big bodies with lots of big glass to cover all bases. 16-35. 24-70. 70-200. 85mm f/1.8. 50mm f/1.4. A 35mm f/2 thrown in for good measure.

In the here and now, my "travel light" kit consists of:

• Olympus E-P5 body
• Olympus VF-4 viewfinder
• Leica X Vario (28-70 fixed lens)
• Panasonic 14mm f/2.5
• Panasonic 35-100

That's it. The IQ from all or any of that gear is superb, especially the X Vario. The E-P5 surpasses my old 1Ds II in most respects, but definitely in terms of weight! The keeper rate with my light gear is also better than anything that came before it. There are also times when I've traveled with just the X Vario.

If you're going to travel light ... especially to Thailand in March, when it will be hot as hell ... travel REALLY light.

- Steve

Feb 06, 2016 at 08:41 PM
Fred Meebley
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

I bet you will use the 16-35 for 90% of your shots. I would just bring it, your 6d, the Fuji, and a mini tripod. Keep it simple and enjoy your vacation. I tend to shoot landscape and nature the most, but if you shoot people more, you might want the 24-70 instead.

Feb 07, 2016 at 10:48 AM
dtolios
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

Well, tripping is up, back to LA...I did not miss much traffic, busy parts of Thailand were just as horrible (if not worse).

Hope you did not place lots of bets Fred, the lens I've ended up using for 90% of the shots with the 6D was the 24-70, followed by the 70-200 and only a handful of occasions I've actually reached for the 16-35.

The aftermath:

* Was shooting in low light in the afternoons / evenings, but for the most part, it felt that a 24-105 would serve me better than the 24-70 II. Oh well...

* I did not buy "real gear" for the trip, but did get SD Cards, which I've ended up not using...Filled up around 100GB between 2/4 64GB UHS cards with the Canon, and around 19GB with the Fuji.

* I've also had lots of batteries with me that I did not really need, despite spending a few nights away from the grid. I had 5x batteries for each system. Felt like I could do with 2 for the Canon and 2 for the Fuji, easy.

* I was planning the days and left lenses / crap I did not think I would need in safety boxes back in our base for daytrips, still, humidity and heat made that backpack seem heavy even at <1/2 capacity :P

Mar 25, 2016 at 11:48 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

Welcome home - we look forward to any images you're willing to share.

Mar 25, 2016 at 12:02 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

When we were in Hong Kong taking the water taxi this little girl and her mother were on it. I asked the mom if I could take her photo and she said yes as she gets asked all the time! Taken with my 24-105, my trusty walk around lens...

© Herb 2016

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:17 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

I'll put my voice into the go light (whatever that means to you), and go wide, and go fast/mid-wide. If you're dying for mid-tele or longer, go ahead, but a tele-zoom (even 70-200) is just something I would hate to lug with me in SEA.

I've lived in Thailand, and traveled to SEA over a dozen times in the last decade for paid photography and vacation.

My essentialist/generalist kit would be 1 camera and 1 fastish lens (f/2 or faster) around 28mm or 35mm. For many of my trips it was a 5D2 + 35L.

If I were to add something to that, it would be UWA, either a small prime (Tamron 17mm is what I used) or UWA zoom.

If I were to add something to that, it would be a mid-tele/portrait prime. Something 85mm or 100mm, f/2 or f/2.8.

I wouldn't bring anything else unless I had a very specific thing I wanted to photograph.

My current kit is an A7rII, 16-35 f/4, 28mm f/2. I'll probably add a 50mm, or better yet an 85mm/100mm something not to big.

http://photos.russjuskalian.com/2015/12/28/2.JPG

http://photos.russjuskalian.com/2015/12/26/4.JPG

http://photos.russjuskalian.com/2016/01/05/6.JPG

http://photos.russjuskalian.com/2016/01/05/18.JPG

http://photos.russjuskalian.com/2015/09/05/3.JPG

http://photos.russjuskalian.com/2015/09/05/21.JPG

http://photos.russjuskalian.com/2015/09/05/72.JPG

http://photos.russjuskalian.com/2015/09/14/1.JPG

http://photos.russjuskalian.com/2015/09/17/8.JPG

http://photos.russjuskalian.com/2014/05/04/13.JPG

http://photos.russjuskalian.com/2007/02/25/4.JPG

http://photos.russjuskalian.com/2007/07/27/2.JPG

http://photos.russjuskalian.com/2007/01/28/1.JPG

http://photos.russjuskalian.com/2009/11/12/3.JPG

http://photos.russjuskalian.com/2009/11/18/21.JPG

http://photos.russjuskalian.com/2010/06/10/64.JPG

http://photos.russjuskalian.com/2007/02/24/28.JPG

http://photos.russjuskalian.com/2011/01/19/1.JPG

And a selfie of sorts:

http://photos.russjuskalian.com/2015/09/05/77.JPG

Mar 31, 2016 at 03:47 AM

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

16-35 and 70-200 - the duo for the ages. I've been using just that when I'm travelling (though lately, I'm sometimes using the Tamron 70-300 on the long end), adding a Sigma 14/2.8 on the occasions when I feel that I might need an ultrawide.

But the 16-35 and 70-200 would be the default choice anyway. Your X-E2 with the 27 would fit nicely in the middle.

Mar 31, 2016 at 09:59 AM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

I just spent a while in Thailand. My dslr didn't come out of my bag...
I used Sony rx100 for pretty much all the shots, including underwater.

Now, I've been to Thailand many times up to 4 weeks at a time so perhaps it got a bit dull, but imho Thailand is not as good for photography as say Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar. It was awesome 10 years ago, but got developed really fast. In the last 2-3 years more and more Chinese groups come on huge buses(up to 5-6 buses x 30-40people in each), covering all the sights, yelling and screaming(if you've traveled in China, you know what I mean)
A lot of Island which were empty before are now too busy( eg. If you read about Koh Lanta, it's being advertised as a quiet and empty island. IT IS NOT! I found it was busier than Koh Phangan). Phuket is a dirty dump. Phi Phi is getting there and I can't recommend it to anyone( not in the last 5 years). I can go on and on.

It's still a great place to travel and still relatively cheap, and has some semi-secluded places and small islands, but I just can't find anything "Amazing and Unique" to photograph and a few neighboring countries still have that charm. I know a number of photographers who went to Thailand not knowing this and got upset when they couldn't find anything they wanted to capture - this is why I wrote this. Perhaps so that there would be realistic expectations.

Have low expectations and when you'll get more out of it, it will be a win

Apr 01, 2016 at 03:47 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

DmitriM wrote:
...but I just can't find anything "Amazing and Unique" to photograph and a few neighboring countries still have that charm. I know a number of photographers who went to Thailand not knowing this and got upset when they couldn't find anything they wanted to capture - this is why I wrote this.

I'd call BS on this, with a twist of early 20th Century Nat Geo Mag colonialism tossed in the mix.

If you can't find anything "amazing and unique" to photograph in the very first place you set down in Thailand-- probably Bangkok-- then you haven't looked. Real life, with real people, is going on all around. (Just like, mind you, in any European big city or village, or American big city or village...)

What do you expect? People living in Thailand to eschew development so that you can take a photo of them living an idealized, "primitive and undeveloped" photogenic life that looks "amazing and unique" to your friends back home who have no grasp of the place and expect a postcard view of a world in which ethnic Thais all walk around in Kachin traditional clothing all day despite this being a totally impossible reality?

You expect Phuket, Phi-Phi... or Myrtle Beach to remain outside the scope of capitalism, commerce, and materialism-- while contributing to exactly these things by falling for and indulging the myth of the undeveloped, secrete beach getaway? I'm guessing you want the myth of the totally undeveloped-- and the convenience of being in the totally undeveloped where there also happens to be English speaking people and places for you to eat and sleep up to some kind of non-local standard?

The story of new vs. old, of a complex city with a crush of various incomes and affluences, of crazy urban development, of materialism and tourism and real plodding life-- everything!-- is in Bangkok alone. The rest of the country too has its Empire State buildings, and its corners you'll be lucky to bump into another tourist, or find a place to sleep like you'd expect.

Thailand is colorful, and vibrant, and changing, and challenging. Not to mention politically and socially all over the place and in a major time of transition and uncertainty. If a photographer can't find the amazing and unique and compelling to photograph-- I think the only thing lacking is the vision of the photographer.

It's true, if you go hoping to find a reality from a postcard (anywhere), expect to be disappointed. Those postcards are all composites, re-touched, and imbued with the fantasies of the North Atlantic middle class view of a paradise that doesn't include local people with their own needs, desires, longings, and humanity. Hell, I might say this about a lot of places, and a lot of what passes as "photography" these days in terms of how our view of the world has become distorted (which is why I will never believe in 'shopping in a better sky to your photograph).

Thailand, like the rest of SEA, is dynamic-- and real. It's funny how our view can become so twisted that it is exactly these qualities that cause some people to see the opposite!

Apr 03, 2016 at 01:38 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

^ Nice post. I'd advise anyone coming to candidly ask themselves, 'What do I want/expect to photograph?'

Then post a thread asking how to achieve that as this forum has many people living outside the dominant U.S. - so any travelers seeking guidelines prior to departure... ask away.

<------ flickr

Apr 03, 2016 at 03:22 AM
tunisia
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

Well said, bravo! And great photographic examples of what you attest to above. Thanks.

Apr 03, 2016 at 05:50 AM
tgrantster
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

arbitrage wrote:
The first time in SE Asia, I brought a 5D3/7D and 3 lenses (17-40, 24-105, 70-200)....it was okay but after that trip I decided to buy a Fuji mirrorless system as I just didn't find it worth it to lug the DSLR for landscapes and temples. For me I'm more into wildlife and birds so I don't feel the need to have all the best gear for travel photography.

My second trip I would have just brought the Fuji (and I did) but half of that trip was birding and orang-utans so ended up bringing even more gears like 200-400 and
...Show more

Count me in this camp. I recently spent a month in Japan with a 5D III and a 24-70. Other then wanting to get some pics of cool buildings in tight streets it was wide enough for sure (some shots are in my "top 15 link"). Perfect for shots of the family too. I never really craved anything longer but there were times it may have been nice to get some distance between me and the family so I could get some natural candid shots. Also the high ISO on the 5DIII is just soooo good I was regularly hitting ISO 20000 in some of the temples and the results were great. But the weight was just too much to lug around anything more. You'll probably want to carry more than a camera. Been a while since I was in Thailand but where you're going is hot and you'll have drinks, snacks and all that other stuff you need to enjoy yourself.

This time around (we're heading back to Japan for another month this summer) I'll have a Fuji setup. X-T1, 18-55, 35, 55-200, 10-24...Fuji with 3 lenses is about the same weight as the 5d and 24-70. We'll see if more lens options provides me with better results than better high ISO and faster focusing...fingers crossed.

Apr 03, 2016 at 08:04 PM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

justruss wrote:
I'd call BS on this, with a twist of early 20th Century Nat Geo Mag colonialism tossed in the mix.

If you can't find anything "amazing and unique" to photograph in the very first place you set down in Thailand-- probably Bangkok-- then you haven't looked. Real life, with real people, is going on all around. (Just like, mind you, in any European big city or village, or American big city or village...)

What do you expect? People living in Thailand to eschew development so that you can take a photo of them living an idealized, "primitive and undeveloped" photogenic
...Show more

Wow, what's with the anger and attitude?
It's my opinion. And no, I hardly find any city beautiful as my perception of beauty is different than perhaps you have and THAT'S OK... You should accept it as well that some people don't see the world as you do.
I've been to so many countries, I have something to compare and over development and the introduction of mass tourism in Thailand in the last 5 years have a negative impact on the country in certain areas. And as I've been and lived in Thailand I probably know more about it than an average tourist who goes on a beach, then tourist pub, gets drunk and comes back home in a few weeks.

And if you are not aware of how mass tourism can destroy and have a negative impact on certain countries and communities, there's certainly no need to get angry when someone mentions that. Like the fact there are communities in Thailand that want to be left alone, yet tourists keep going there to take pictures since for them it's a "zoo". 5 years ago there would be 1 person in a week and now there would be up to 100.

d

Apr 04, 2016 at 10:34 AM
tgrantster
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

I was in Thailand about 15 years ago...Bangkok and Ko Samet. Loved it. Thailand had a certain feel and vibe that was just amazing...it sticks with you. Having spent a week in Kyoto last summer I can echo the sentiments about the large tours coming through and needing to dodge people with selfie sticks everywhere. A good friend just returned from Thailand a couple of weeks ago and echoed the same sentiments about the tour groups hitting all the major sites in Thailand. That being said it can be a positive thing as it forces those of us who don't like the crowds to go out and find the path less traveled. This year I'll be heading up to Kanezawa, Gifu and Inuyama...then catch some Sumo in Nagoya.

Apr 04, 2016 at 06:03 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.