New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

dtolios
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

So, it is set, will be travelling in Thailand for 2.5 weeks in the begining of March, staying in HK 3 nights, 2 going in and 1 coming back to LA.

The Thailand trip will involve a few days in Bangkok with guided and freestyle hikes, river boat rides, than diversifying with a few days in the Chiang Mai area and finally Phuket and PhiPhi.

What kind of gear to bring along? I want to keep it relatively light and I obviously have too much:

Canon - EF
6D along with:
24-70 II,
16-35 4 IS
70-200 4 IS
35 2 IS
85 1.8
100 Macro
24 TSE
1.4x extender

Fuji X
X-E2 + 27 2.8

I was thinking that just the 24-70 + 70-200 or 16-35 + 70-200 will be a safe way to approach the trip, having the X-E2 for the light-carry-on alternative.

I believe that there is a huge range of subjects to be photographed, but one cannot really cover all of it in his/her first time in a place.

Do you think that I will "really" miss a Macro lens for those lil critters in the forest?

Or I will regret having just a APS-C + 2.8 glass for low light "stuff"?

Batteries: I have 5x batteries available (1x OEM and 4x Wasabi) for each camera. Should be enough.

Memory: I also have 2x 64GB and 2x 32GB SD cards to split between them. Will the available SD cards be enough? I shoot Raw and I don't like spending my bedtime reviewing and deleting, but I don't want to buy a crap-load of SD cards that I won't be using the rest of the time. Still this might be the cheapest addition to my kit.

Tripod: Outside my heavy-weight 190Pro B with an assortment of heads that will stay home, I have a Dolica Proline 62" ballhead tripod I will be bringing with me, had ok experience with it holding my DSLR. Fits in the Carry-on, but I seriously doubt that the better half will be happy with me setting up tripods too often...I don't know if I should even care for the 24 TSE in the light of this. This is not a fit-in-a-backpack tripod. Should I consider getting a smaller one that at least would be on me during the day? Otherwise it will be limited to me fooling around with long shots around our base probably.

Any advice welcome,
Sorry for the wall of text.

Feb 05, 2016 at 12:32 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

16-35, 35f2, 70-200

SE asia tends to have a lot of smaller tight places, an ultrawide would be nice for that. Thailand gets pretty dark inside many of their restaurants.

Feb 05, 2016 at 12:45 PM
lowside67
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

I think even thought it's "travelling", people have very different styles of photography and need different lenses. With that said, the universal theme is if you are hoping to document a trip instead of making a trip only about taking photos, less gear and more versatile gear is always better. I know a lot of serious photographers on this forum wouldn't be caught dead without 2 bodies, 5 lenses, a flash, tripod, and filters but for me travelling is about the travel, and the photography is a theme I enjoy but not the main purpose of the trip. YMMV.

I don't take many people photos, preferring landscapes - for me a 16-35 would be indispensable, so I would probably be very happy with just the 16-35 and 70-200, and the 16-35 would be on the camera 95% of the time. Even though the glass is all F4, the combination of excellent 6D high ISO performance and the fantastic IS on the 16-35 would get you by 99% of situations IMO.

On the other hand, if you prefer people or situational photography over pure landscape, the 24-70 2.8 II is an incredibly versatile lens that you could probably leave on the camera 99.99% of the time. The 70-200 is not too heavy so I would probably bring it, so that you can decide each day whether the day's activities are likely to make use of it or not.

Hope that helps,
Mark

Feb 05, 2016 at 01:37 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

Set your priorities on what you want out of these photos then go from there. If you think too much, you're going to want to bring everything. Keep it simple.

Feb 05, 2016 at 02:44 PM
diverhank
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

If I were you, I'd bring everything and then leave some behind in the hotel depending on the type of day trip you're planning.

If that is not possible, I'd bring the
1. 16-35 for most of the landscapes work
2. 24-70 for taking pictures of your wife...my wife disapproved of almost all of her pictures I took using the 16-35. And my getting new gear is directly proportional to how much she likes her pictures
3. 85 1.8 because it is so small and see # 2 - nice pictures of the wife (boss)
4. 70-200 f/4 + 1.4x for closeup & tele work

Whatever you do, don't leave the tripod at home. I also brought my 100mm L macro...never touched it. The 24-70 stayed on the full frame 90% of the time as the wife wants her pictures taken all the time. I brought both the 5D3 and the 7D2 with me. Out of the 3 weeks, I used it (the 7D2) once. The same goes with the 70-200 but when you need it, you need it - I used it at a local zoo. I used the 85mm f/1.8 at the beach with great result...I'm almost to the point of being able to acquire the 85mm f/1.2L because of those...(honey if you think these are fantastic, wait til you let me get the 1.2... )

Feb 05, 2016 at 03:30 PM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

What you take depends 100% on what you want to do. Only you can determine whether you are taking too much.

My wife and I have been to S.E. Asia a numerous times and photography was always a big part of what we did. We'd do full-time photography in remote spots for a couple weeks. Then when we were in cities and towns sight seeing and visiting we did no photography at all, or close to it. We just wanted yo relax and enjoy without the burden. I greatly enjoyed both things.

I always brought long telephotos and my shortest lens was a 24-70 f/2.8 that I almost never used. My tripod was a full sized 3-section Gitzo (RRS TVC-33 equivalent) packed diagonally in my checked luggage for travel and a large ball head (RRS BH-55). I'd guess the camera stuff weighed more than all of our other belongings combined.

Feb 05, 2016 at 04:03 PM
Tareq
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

For me, again, my travel kit list is as following:

1. Full frame body + backup body[mostly fast action to cover another areas than landscapes and portraits].
2. UWA, which is 16-35 or equivalent
3. Mid range lens zoom preferred, 24-70 for me, and many may go with 24-105, i once carried both, but any will do it.
4. 70-200, this lens is a mysterious lens, you really don't know when it is the most important or not, i am a wide side fan guy so this lens isn't my top favorite one, but this lens prove to be strong in many areas even landscapes, so i put it as my main kit too, and it is definitely part of the holy zoom trinity [16-35, 24-70, 70-200], so i don't leave it behind and wish if i had it, regardless of its weight i manage to carry it.
5. Macro lens, and macro can be done everywhere in the world even in the hotel or in the bedroom, it can make some interesting subjects, still life or abstract or closeup you can make from this lens maybe more than another lenses, so i don't forget it at all, it is not heavy lens and i don't make it as an issue lens to the whole kit.

Then after the above main kit i can add something here and there, 50 1.4 if i want faster or 85, many prefer 35 1.4 but to me i never feel i fall in love at this FL, but i can't put myself as others or others as me, if many love 35mm then you can add this, there is also 24 1.4, i assume those 35/24/50 are used for low light indoors or bokeh for portraits, then you only can decide if those are very important or not, zooms are always an advantage for me in travel as portability or not footing in and out, if i am in edge of a cliff then i won't sacrifice my life with a prime if i want something longer than or wider than, zoom here will do the job.

Flash is necessary in life, as sometimes we are not under best exposure/lighting conditions, so no harm to have it regardless you use it or not. Extenders are small, so you can put it in bag and forget about it.

Since 2006 until 2009 i didn't change this standard and i never felt i have something missing, just in each travel i add little more gear, for example in 2009 to USA i added Hasseblad and Canon 15 fisheye, in 2006 to Europe i think i took Sigma 12-24 and Sigma 8mm fisheye, to New Zealand i took 50mm 1.4 and 100-400.

At the end, take what you already have and try to manage about weight, you don't know what you will expect when you travel, when i travel i feel i want to shoot everything, from landscapes to portraits to wildlife, even sports if possible, so for that i sometimes i wish if i can take all my gear, and that i came out with what is my list should be, i always take lenses that can cover from UWA up to long so i mentioned the trinity, and macro i like sometimes if i don't shoot non macro subjects.

Let us know what you will carry and what will be your results, so i can learn about your travel gear.

Feb 05, 2016 at 04:31 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

If you need more gear here are my contacts in each city.

HKG [email protected]

BKK [email protected]

Feb 05, 2016 at 04:52 PM
Planean15

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

I like Charlie's recommended arrangement. I imagine the 16-35 would come in quite handy in the crowded streets of Hong Kong. The 70-200 could be doubled for above-the-shoulder portrait shots in place of the 85. The 35 2.0 will be indispensable for night shots.

Feb 05, 2016 at 05:00 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

6D, 16-35 and 70-200, for low light situations your 35 f2 unless you're planning some portrait shots then add the 85 f1.8. Your XE-2 system covers 40mm which is a nice compromise for street shooting. If you think low light shots will be many you might look at getting a nifty-fifty; maybe rent one!

Just one thought, I'm not an XE-2 owner and thus don't know how well it performs in lower light situations. Your 6D has a killer center AF point and it could work well for city/street type shooting. Personally I'd probably shoot a ton with just the 6D and 35 f2; but we all have differing wants/needs

Bring lots of batteries; w/chargers, you didn't mention any flash options for the Canon setup, you might bring something small like a 270EX II or the tiny 90EX that I think was released for the EOSM.

A mono or small tripod, and your regular cleaning kit; blower/brush, microfiber clothes, for lenses/sensors, etc. And, bring a bit of wonder for those new experiences soon to be encountered, enjoy such exotic lands/peoples, it sounds like a fantastic adventure

Cheers,
Jerry

PS. My ultra-wide is the 17-40L, but I'm seriously looking at the new 16-35 f4L IS as a replacement, how do you like your copy, has it proved to be a good/great purchase? Thanks!

Feb 05, 2016 at 05:09 PM
dtolios
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

Thank you all for your input so far.
I used to have the 17-40L too. It was my go-to hiking lens along with the 70-200 4 IS.

Even at 40mm the boss' portraits were not flattering. (I hear you diverhank)

The 16-35 4 IS is too new and will be its 1st trip, but from a few interior & exterior UWA architecture shots with it, it is clearly sharper in all wide apertures than the older 17-40. Distortion is an issue with UWA if you tilt the camera much like with any equiv.

I also agree that the 35mm is not my fav FL, but this lens "sings" below f/4 in ways either the EF 50 1.4 or the Sigma 50 EX I've owned before it never could. Still not an ideal close up lens for people, at least not the wife, but its ok.

None of the lenses in my kit gets nearly the attention the 24-70 ii gets. If it wasn't for its size the 35 or the 50s before it would be completely redundant, and would be my choice for all-around.

In the long run i know that all lenses have a place. Thus i justify owning them.

The X-E2 is a great street performer and with the 27mm you can wear it with a sling strap all-day and not mind. Battery life is a challenge much like with all MILCs but i found it a good upgrade vs my eos m1 overall. Iso performance is passable for aps-c.

Feb 05, 2016 at 09:29 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

You could probably get along great with just the 6D, a tripod and the 24-70. It really depends on how much gear you care to lug around daily, and how much you want to expose your gear to theft by leaving it in the hotel.

Thailand is hot and wet pretty much all the time. You sure you want to lug all that?

Another consideration, since you're changing planes in HKG is that the carry on limits are lower, so you may carry on a bag here, and then be forced to check it there, which would not be pleasant.

I'd personally skip the 70-200, the 1.4, the 85 and the TSE. The 35 might be nice to stick on the front of your 6D for evenings & general small ness, or the 16-35 but I probably wouldn't bring both.

I used to be one of those "bring everything you own" kind of people but it's exhausting.

Have fun.... I loooooooooove Thailand. I used to go regularly, to the point where my passport had 3 extra books of visa pages. Those were the days, I tell you.

Feb 05, 2016 at 09:50 PM
fredv
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

travel light 16-35, 70-200 and a flash it covers a lot.

Feb 05, 2016 at 10:16 PM
brian500au
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

In my own personal experience you are covering a lot of miles in such a short time. Unless you are just going as a photographer you might be surprised on how much time you actually have to pull out your camera.

You also need to take into account the time difference, and hence the time lag flying in from the US to HK. Also be aware of size and weight restrictions on flights (both international and internal). You are flying quite a bit so you not only have to go through security but also might be challenged with weight and size of your carry on. These are very busy airports and english is not their first language. Also remember both HK and Thailand are very hot and humid countries and can sap your energy very quickly unless you are used to the heat.

Having said all that both HK and Thailand are wonderful places to photograph. In HK you will want to visit both the harbor at night and Victoria peak during the day. Ideally the 16-35 will cover those areas. During the day and dining at night is a wonderful cultural experience and I would suggest the 16-35 and / or the 24-70 would cover these areas. You should take with you a small tripod for your night shots around the harbor.

Thailand is such a diverse country - from city, to jungles, to beaches. In the city you will most likely want to visit the Grand Palace and this is where you will need you 16-35, Phuket and Phi Phi are sandy islands - once again it is wide angle. Both Bangkok and Phuket have a large night life area if you want to photography that. Maybe your 24-70 or 16-35 for that area.

Some warnings with Thailand - both areas you visit (Bangkok and Phuket) are large tourist areas and the standard precautions when being a tourist should be observed. Don't drink too much (there is plenty on tap) and don't flaunt your money. Some education on animal welfare of both the Elephants and the tigers in Thailand might persuade you not to visit these tourist places - but if you insist you might want to visit an Elephant refuge rather than where elephants perform or are ridden.

For what it is worth my standard tourist kit when traveling consists of the following:

Canon 6D
16-35L
24-70L
70-300L
270EX flash
Cards and extra batteries.
Small CF tripod
Small Lowepro 220AW sling bag (which fits all the above except tripod).

Best of luck and have a great time. PM me if you need more advice - I regularly travel around asia both for my job and as a tourist.

Feb 06, 2016 at 12:37 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

Is this a holiday on which you'll be relaxing, soaking it in, swimming and feeling safe or are you intent on nailing great photos to add to your portfolio? Or do you want to achieve both?

Next, are you travelling with someone who can watch your gear while you are in the pool or at the beach?

Never leave valuable, saleable gear in any hotel or hotel 'safe'.

1: Travel light.
2: Think 1.4 if you are out and about at night = 6D + f1.4 if you are walking about at night.
2a: Take your 24-70 and push the 6D's ISO.
3: You could do something crazy like buyinga Sigma 24 1.4, and also take your macro.
4: Memory, batts, charger and a cloth.
5: Tripod - only if you really are intent on making (seriously making) night images.

Recommended gear: 6D, 24-70 f2.8L II, (100 Macro -optional).

But that's nuts. Simply go and buy a nice XF 16-55 f2.8 as a treat and only take your XE-2 with a new 16-55. Seriously - travel light.

Feb 06, 2016 at 02:15 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

When I travel light I take 2 bodies and 2 lenses. Used to be a 24-105 but now is a 24-70 II. Used to be a 70-200 F4 IS but now a 55-250 STM.

While in Hong Kong do not miss going up to Victoria peak at night. The view is astounding. Pretty good in the daytime as well. Every evening Hong Kong has a laser show best viewed from the Kowloon side of the harbour.

Feb 06, 2016 at 08:22 AM
JohnC
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

Paul Mo wrote:
Is this a holiday on which you'll be relaxing, soaking it in, swimming and feeling safe or are you intent on nailing great photos to add to your portfolio? Or do you want to achieve both?

Next, are you travelling with someone who can watch your gear while you are in the pool or at the beach?

But that's nuts. Simply go and buy a nice XF 16-55 f2.8 as a treat and only take your XE-2 with a new 16-55. Seriously - travel light.

This is the way I would go, maybe add the 55-200. I was in Thailand for two weeks in December and in HK last October, never felt the need for an ultra wide angle. In my case I took my A7R and a 24-240. On the boat ride to Phi Phi I was content to have my cell phone only.

Feb 06, 2016 at 08:54 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

Victoria Peak.

~original[/IMG]

Bank of Hong Kong

~original[/IMG]

You may want to consider a tram ride up to Big Buddha. Airport is to the left in the background. We did all that in 3 days which included day trip to Macau and another Island.

~original[/IMG]

Feb 06, 2016 at 09:18 AM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

I'm going on a 2,5 week roundtrip to Thailand next Saturday.
Although I'm a Nikon shooter I have more or less the same "problems".
My set will be:
Nikon D810 and Nikon Df
18-35/3.5-4.5G, 24-120/4.0G, 70-200/4.0G, 300/4.0E, TC1.4
Manual focus lenses for when I have time; 16FE, 20/3.5, 2.8/2.0, 50/1.4 and 105/2.5
This all fits nicely in a ThinkTank Accelerator (about 8kg)
The MF-lenses + Df fits in a Dome F6 which is in my luggage.

wide-angle for cities/markets and temples
midrange for normal use
short-tele for boat trips
tele + TC for birds

In 2013 I spent a couple of days in Hongkong.
My most just lenses where 24-120/4.0, 70-200/4.0 and 16-35/4.0, in that order.

Feb 06, 2016 at 09:48 AM
dtolios
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Thailand & Hong Kong trip - Gear advice

I love that there is a consensus: i.e. we all love to travel light, but light is totally relative, so we are all-over-the-place

For those that did go to Thailand or similar trips for 2-3 weeks, what was the average flash card "allowance" per week roughly? I understand that my cameras are not 36MP, so please mention the camera model / sensor size for context.

Feb 06, 2016 at 11:17 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.