New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Do Not Sell on Amazon, Seriously

ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do Not Sell on Amazon, Seriously

You probably don't know this, but if a seller files a claim against you, Amazon has a policy in place to always side with the buyer. Always and without exception. Scammera are capitalizing on this in droves. Most comminly, the buyer requests a refund claiming the item never arrived. Amazon will not get involved with tracking numbers. They simply issue the refund. So if you shipped a lens uninsured, you're out the lens and the money. With no chance of winning an appeal.

This is so prevalent that services are offering free X Boxes literally right now. Read this link: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/this-scam-lets-you-have-your-xbox-and-refund-it-too

Just Google it. So many horror stories.

A textile company sold a guy 100 cloth napkins, the guy used the napkins at his dinner party, requested a refund after he used them, claiming "didn't match description" and Amazon automatically took the money out of the sellers bank account.

In my case, I sold an iPhone. The buyer requested a refund claiming "did not match item description" and sent me back a completely different, broken iPhone. Amazon could care less. They issued him the refund and he kept the phone. Nothing I can do.

Feb 05, 2016 at 03:07 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do Not Sell on Amazon, Seriously

That sucks.

ohsnaphappy wrote:
...the buyer requests a refund claiming the item never arrived. Amazon will not get involved with tracking numbers. They simply issue the refund. So if you shipped a lens uninsured, you're out the lens and the money...

Just wanted to point out that if the item is delivered (which the shipper would know), then there's no recourse from insurance.

Feb 05, 2016 at 07:27 AM
lara_ckl
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do Not Sell on Amazon, Seriously

Isn't mail fraud a federal crime?

Feb 05, 2016 at 09:38 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do Not Sell on Amazon, Seriously

Yes, it is. IC3 is the friend to one of these folks who got ripped off, that is if it's in the US. I don't have a clue about anywhere else, and I sure don't know what the case is across Country lines. Safest solution? Just don't sell on that site, but then I realize with that statement that I'm being entirely redundant.

Feb 05, 2016 at 09:47 AM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do Not Sell on Amazon, Seriously

So, selling via Amazon is just as risky as selling using eBay and/or Paypal, if not worse.

Not good news.

Normally I'd say it's probably best to only do business with people you personally know, or at least those who are firmly established members of a forum like FM. Unfortunately though, the criteria that might dictate what "firmly established" means can be and often is subjective. Then, there's that question of "who you know" not actually being "who they claim to be," as in (e.g.) "Hi, I'm Penn from Penn & Teller. Watch me make your money disappear."

Feb 05, 2016 at 10:10 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do Not Sell on Amazon, Seriously

I've heard a lot of horror stories too of buyers returning an item on day 29 after the purchase.

Feb 06, 2016 at 02:09 PM
architect7
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Do Not Sell on Amazon, Seriously

I've pretty much resolved to buy/sell far less than I used to and to only deal on Craigslist from now on. Plus USPS just lost a $1000 item I sold on eBay earlier this week; I just don't have time or energy for this level of stress, what a pain.

Feb 06, 2016 at 02:19 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Do Not Sell on Amazon, Seriously

Suddenly, Craigslist, for all its warts, is looking mighty attractive (utilizing the usual precautions and dealing in cash). In the rush for customer mindshare, eBay, Paypal and Amazon put all burdens on the seller.

Feb 07, 2016 at 03:23 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Do Not Sell on Amazon, Seriously

Ebay and PayPal have been doing the exact thing for years.

* OP your post says "seller" where I believe you mean "buyer".

Feb 16, 2016 at 04:37 PM
Abuttolph
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Do Not Sell on Amazon, Seriously

I wonder if Amazon would be any better if the Amazon Fulfillment service was used. They would then be responsible for the packing and shipping. Not sure about the item description and what their role in responsibility is for that service.

The only Amazon issue that we have had (have not tried to sell anything through them) is that a few years ago, my husband purchased some kind of special tape kit through one of Amazon's vendors. The kit shown in the listing included tape and a dispenser. When the package arrived, it only included part of what was supposed to be included. Amazon refused to help out at all and said that he needed to only deal with the vendor. The vendor would not budge, claiming an error in the product listing.

Feb 23, 2016 at 02:17 PM
D.Hussey
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Do Not Sell on Amazon, Seriously

lara_ckl wrote:
Isn't mail fraud a federal crime?

Sure it is .... but good luck getting anyone to pursue prosecution. Cops are likely to just laugh in your face and say "Too bad sucker" and its unlikely any DA will want to burden his already overwhelmed docket with your 'trivial' problems

Feb 29, 2016 at 02:06 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Do Not Sell on Amazon, Seriously

D.Hussey wrote:
Sure it is .... but good luck getting anyone to pursue prosecution. Cops are likely to just laugh in your face and say "Too bad sucker" and its unlikely any DA will want to burden his already overwhelmed docket with your 'trivial' problems

In my limited knowledge of the US legal system, I believe it's the US Postal Inspector service that deals with mail fraud, rather then local police.

Feb 29, 2016 at 04:24 PM
D.Hussey
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Do Not Sell on Amazon, Seriously

molson wrote:
In my limited knowledge of the US legal system, I believe it's the US Postal Inspector service that deals with mail fraud, rather then local police.

You might be correct, probably are correct, But it still needs to have the prosecutor's office willing to allocate resources to have it result in anything

Feb 29, 2016 at 08:10 PM
majix

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Do Not Sell on Amazon, Seriously

I am a seller ,we have at least 3-4 fake claim each month and Ebay always act on buyers favor

Mar 03, 2016 at 04:27 PM
ShutterbugJ
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Do Not Sell on Amazon, Seriously

I actually won a fight with Paypal once as a seller. I contacted them immediately after receiving a notification from eBay that the buyer hadn't received the item, and they put notes in my account and assured me my money was secure, as I was able to find via google information on the buyer, who had scammed a bunch of people. Later Paypal contacted me with a claim, and I "lost" the claim and was told there was nothing they could do despite the notes in my account, but then was able to talk to another person at Paypal a couple of days later who was appalled, reversed things again so I got my money back, and said that they would have a manager review the previous person who "couldn't do anything's" work. I doubt that they had a talk with that person, but it's nice to know that it can be done. Admittedly, it was only ~$15, but if Paypal hadn't come through on my side, I would have closed my account, so they saved a customer.

Mar 13, 2016 at 03:14 PM
stefanlaz09

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Do Not Sell on Amazon, Seriously

That's a poopie situation, contact amazon asap

May 23, 2016 at 09:16 AM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Do Not Sell on Amazon, Seriously

Just FYI, when you sell something on Amazon, you are supposed to enter the tracking number for the shipment. So how can a buyer claim the item did not arrive if you did what you were supposed to do and have the tracking to back up your side? Something off with these stories.

May 23, 2016 at 09:26 AM
Chdwil
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Do Not Sell on Amazon, Seriously

eBay now has a selling service that collects a commission on any item you give them to sell. I wonder what the scammers get when they file a claim against this middle service.

I've been on ebay for 16 years and never lost my money on a deal. Had a couple close calls, but it pays to be through as a seller. Make sure you have full documentation of serial numbers, always always always use priority shipping as it is tracked and less days it's out there the less that can happen to it. Pictures are your friends, take pictures of the packing, item in packing, and pictures the buyer could never know you took to prove fraud in the case of fake returns. Always require direct signature. Give your postman a gift card for Christmas, believe me you want to be their friend. If someone requests a return and it's not fraudulent , just accept it a cut your loses in shipping. You get the eBay fees back. And what I find more important than anything is always hand your package to the delivery service and ask for a scan receipt that has the tracking number, weight, time, date. Even if you bought the postage through eBay and it's flat rate you still get a receipt with that info from the service.

May 29, 2016 at 05:06 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Do Not Sell on Amazon, Seriously

Another reason I don't like Amazon is that at least for me they don't allow you to adjust the shipping charge. Just sold a smaller bag, they gave me a credit of $6.49 for a bag. Shipping ended up costing me $23.15.

Selling price +$70.00
Shipping credit +6.49
Amazon Fees - 12.14
USPS shipping fee - 23.15

Net proceeds - $41.20

Jun 16, 2016 at 02:25 PM
Dolyd

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Do Not Sell on Amazon, Seriously

I don't like Amazon!

Jun 22, 2016 at 03:23 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.