Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Lola The Great Horned Owl

big_fish
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lola The Great Horned Owl

Great horned owl by Neil Fisher, on Flickr

During the summer of 2015, Northern Saskatchewan saw 532 wildfires burn a staggering 700,991 hectares. An estimated 13,000 people were displaced and relocated to evacuation shelters further south in the province. Often overlooked, was the impact these fires had on the native wildlife. Lola, a great horned owl, was found in distress by a La Ronge area resident and turned over to provincial conservation officers. She had suffered burn damage to the majority of her wing feathers – leaving her flightless and unable to find prey.

The Wild and Exotic Animal Medicine Society (WEAMS) is a non-profit organization operated by student volunteers at the Western College of Veterinary Medicine and has been caring for Lola since mid-July. She is expected to make a complete recovery and weather permitting, will be released as soon as her damaged feathers molt – which will likely be the spring of 2016.

Standing face to face with such an impressive predator was an incredibly humbling experience. I can’t quite pinpoint what exactly commanded more respect – her eyes, her beak or the knowledge that it requires twenty-eight pounds of force to open the talons of a great horned owl once they slam shut. Needless to say, It’s certainly an experience I won’t soon forget.

Edited on Feb 06, 2016 at 10:24 AM · View previous versions

Feb 04, 2016 at 10:28 AM
phoenix7gtm
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lola The Great Horned Owl

These are all very nice. Very well done Neil.

~George.

Feb 04, 2016 at 10:38 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lola The Great Horned Owl

Very well done Neil. I hope she can be successfully released ~ Ron

Feb 04, 2016 at 04:15 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lola The Great Horned Owl

Sad story and great photos Neil

Morris

Feb 04, 2016 at 09:24 PM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lola The Great Horned Owl

I always wonder about wildlife in a fire and it's obvious they also suffer. Thanks for sharing.
Don

Feb 06, 2016 at 12:46 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.