FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Young Water Moccasin

Ira Runyan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Young Water Moccasin

A young Water Moccasin AKA Cottonmouth (Agkistrodon piscivorus) found on the road to the MIT parking lot west of Viera, Florida.

Young Water Moccasins look different than adults. Juveniles and young adults have bands across their bodies and are lighter brown. Their patterns, which can be striking, fade or are lost as they age.

Another interesting characteristic of juvenile water moccasins -The juveniles have bright-yellow tail tips that they use as a caudal lure to attract prey. They move the tail tip slowly back and forth to lure prey, such as frogs, within striking distance.

Feb 04, 2016 at 09:20 AM
LuckyStrike
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Young Water Moccasin

Hello Ira!

I looked at your photos this morning and really enjoyed them... Interesting snake and description of coloration as they get older. (I have never seen a water mocassin)

Scanning through the latest posts this evening and seeing yours again, I wanted to comment ansd say likely the reason for almost no feedback is because of the subject matter.

So many people have a huge innate fear of snakes & the repulsion is unreal.... Even a photo brings this out !

Personally I have always been fascinated by snakes and various reptiles/amphibians etc.

Thanks for your photos cool!!!

LuckyT

Feb 04, 2016 at 11:53 PM
tshore
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Young Water Moccasin

Nice pic of an interesting creature. I have never encountered one outside a zoo. I have mixed feelings about that...

Feb 05, 2016 at 01:26 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Young Water Moccasin

Super pix and great info Ira...I for one, love snakes but haven't seen too many in the wild...their markings are quite beautiful and the caudal lure is such a great adaptation for a younger snake.
Eric

Feb 05, 2016 at 08:58 AM
psharvic
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Young Water Moccasin

Well done, Ira. Thanks for the information. Lucky is right, not a popular topic but glad there are a few who enjoy them.

Feb 05, 2016 at 10:07 AM
jcw1982
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Young Water Moccasin

Nice photo and excellent information! I went canoeing at the Outer Backs about a year ago. One my goals was to see a cottonmouth an an alligator in the wild. I did see both, making my vacation a success. I find almost any wildlife fascinating.

Feb 05, 2016 at 11:56 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.