Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Olympus Om-D E-M1 actually giving 18,3mp files?

Wilbus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Olympus Om-D E-M1 actually giving 18,3mp files?

This is weird and it's something that's been bugging me since I switched to Capture One Pro instead of Lightroom.

Most of the time when I open a RAW in C1 I find out that it is already cropped. Or rather, I see that pretty much every file I have imported are pre-cropped. At fist it was just annoying and I re-cropped them.

I started thinking more about it today after a quick test with an ND filter. I saw the same thing, the photo was cropped so I removed all borders/restraints and re-cropped it to it's full potential and to my surprise I saw that there were things in the photo that I had not included in the viewfinder.

So it got me thinking, what if Olympus sensor is actually bigger but it only, normally, gives you 16mp with the crop that we normally use? I exported one photo, first in the pre-cropped version, which means the way the file is loaded in to C1. Next I exported it after removing all restraints from the crop.
I then checked the files and their pixel count and this is what I got.

The pre-cropped file was 4608x3456 pixels which is 15,925,248 pixels, which is close enough to 16mp that Olympus says.

The other file, which I re-cropped to it's full potential, was 5027x3658 which is actually 18,388,766 pixel so all inte all around 18,3mp.

What's more interesting is that I not only get more MP from that file but I also get more coverage from the same lens setting.

I forgot to grab a screen from C1 but I will post tomorrow and show what it looks like on import.

Meanwhile, these are the two files. Nothing edited or done to them, I just picked two files for testing purpose.

Anyone noticed this before? I've never seen the bigger type of file in Lightroom for example.

/Rasmus

As it's been imported.

"Cropped" to itäs full potential.

Feb 03, 2016 at 06:01 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Olympus Om-D E-M1 actually giving 18,3mp files?

How do you re-crop? TIA.

Feb 03, 2016 at 07:26 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Olympus Om-D E-M1 actually giving 18,3mp files?

What you're seeing is the distortion profile. The camera (and C1 upon opening) applies the distortion correction and crops the stretched image to what you framed in the EVF. The 'uncropped' version is a stretched version from the original RAW data. If you turn off the distortion profile, you'll be at 16 MP with no crop.

Feb 03, 2016 at 08:14 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Olympus Om-D E-M1 actually giving 18,3mp files?

Wilbus wrote:
Anyone noticed this before? I've never seen the bigger type of file in Lightroom for example.

/Rasmus

What Jordan already said, but here's a bit more information.

You're never going to see that "bigger" file in Lightroom until Adobe gives us the option to see it.

Even with "lens profile" unchecked, Lightroom is still following the camera's internal file crop parameters (at least up to LR 5, I haven't tested this with Lightroom CC because I don't use C1 any longer).

C1 has the ability to completely ignore these parameters and give you the actual, un-corrected file. There are many instances I actually preferred the uncorrected from C1 (I think using the Panasonic 14/2.5, one could get more distortion but a wider image and sharper corners) but since my workflow is so Lightroom-centric, I learn to live with losing a little from the edges on certain lenses.

Feb 03, 2016 at 11:20 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Olympus Om-D E-M1 actually giving 18,3mp files?

Thanks for the replies and explanation!

So, I could actually get wider then, say, 12mm if I disable the distortion profile or crop outside the C1-distortion data?

I am still thinking about using Lightroom again. I like C1 a lot thanks to the image quality but I hate the image sorting, all my images are mixed in one folder as it is now without any keywords (keywording has been added in C1 9.0 now).

I'm just not sure I can get the same quality from Lightroom.

Again, thanks for the clear explanations!

K-h.a.w. When I open the image in C1 I see the crop and I see more of the image outside the crop which made me re-do the crop and expand the image so to speak.

Feb 04, 2016 at 05:43 AM
SoulNibbler
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Olympus Om-D E-M1 actually giving 18,3mp files?

So I was going to chime in about the distortion, but I was beat to the punch.

Just a couple of notes on c1 if you are considering swapping back.
Do yourself the favor of mapping out keyboard shortcuts. On mine I have:
Ctrl+shift+
P exposure +.1
L exposure -.1
O +contrast
K -
I +brightness
J -

With those shortcuts I can fine tune or setup an overall look in less than 5 seconds per image. You can bind most commands to the keyboard and it really makes things fly.

Lightroom has rudimentary keyboard shortcuts that really keepe from going back.

Feb 04, 2016 at 07:38 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Olympus Om-D E-M1 actually giving 18,3mp files?

Sorry I didn't quite understand I think.

If I understood you correct you are using C1 and have no interest in going back to Lightroom due to rudimentary shortcuts?

I do like both programs. C1 wins as far as image quality goes (although some issues with colours on the OM-D files) and Lightroom wins hands down as far as a picture library goes.

Feb 04, 2016 at 01:40 PM
SoulNibbler
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Olympus Om-D E-M1 actually giving 18,3mp files?

Pretty much,
The shortcuts and color tools keep me with capture one.
I guess the library might be a similar selling point for lightroom. It never clicked for me and how I wanted to organize things.

Feb 05, 2016 at 06:30 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Olympus Om-D E-M1 actually giving 18,3mp files?

I'm with SoulNibbler. It sounds so trite at first glance but the shortcuts along with the much quicker flow in Capture one, once you get it down, is a HUGE advantage over programs like Aperture or Lightroom, which tend to confine one to their idea of how it should all go. I think the target audience has something to do with it. Most of those driven to C1 tend to work for a living and really appreciate how ten seconds per picture saved adds up and well as the fact that it quickly becomes so semi-automatic that one can get into a zen like state and simply focus on the image rather than the tool.

But in the end it must be said that nothing imho gives the same crisp results as C1 - that's the real strength of the program. The workflow, that is a bonus, but one that I could not do without now that I have it down. Not to be underestimated.

Keyboarding has been in C1 for several versions now - it just suck, I think. But then again for really good importing, IPTC and keyw-ording ... nothing comes close to Photo Mechanic. Their structured key-wording is priceless and has saved me much frustration. The code replacements too.

Feb 06, 2016 at 03:40 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Olympus Om-D E-M1 actually giving 18,3mp files?

SoulNibbler wrote:
Pretty much,
The shortcuts and color tools keep me with capture one.
I guess the library might be a similar selling point for lightroom. It never clicked for me and how I wanted to organize things.

The library is my biggest complaint (besides how LR handles Fuji xtrans files). For those of us that want to use several raw developers, it just makes more sense to organize images into folders on a drive....IMO One can work this way in LR but it requires constant synchronizing whenever there are changes to the folder structure or when pictures are added or deleted.

Feb 07, 2016 at 10:42 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Olympus Om-D E-M1 actually giving 18,3mp files?

Pavel wrote:
I'm with SoulNibbler. It sounds so trite at first glance but the shortcuts along with the much quicker flow in Capture one, once you get it down, is a HUGE advantage over programs like Aperture or Lightroom, which tend to confine one to their idea of how it should all go. I think the target audience has something to do with it. Most of those driven to C1 tend to work for a living and really appreciate how ten seconds per picture saved adds up and well as the fact that it quickly becomes so semi-automatic that one can get
...Show more

Yes indeed, the editing of the program and the crisp results beats LR hands down IMO. It's just the library/folder/sorting function I need to get a grip on!

How good is Photo Mechanic integrated in the RAW processing with C1?

Feb 08, 2016 at 03:54 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.