Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · I've outgrown my Sigma 17-50. Suggestions for replacement.

johnctharp
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · I've outgrown my Sigma 17-50. Suggestions for replacement.

technic wrote:
But reality is VERY different, at least for infinity scenes at larger apertures the 18-50 is much worse IMHO and at f/2.8 I think the Canon 17-55IS is the sharpest; might be related to DXO testing only at relatively short distances.

This is more common than people think; we use tests that are done on test charts to get a general idea of relative performance, but lenses can vary in performance by focal distance; particularly, there's quite a few Zeiss lenses that fall lower on test chart scores that are done at a closer focus distance that will clean house when focused closer to infinity.

That's why first-hand experience such as yours is important, as in this example having sharper corners when focused closer (portraits) isn't a common use case, but having them sharp closer to infinity (landscapes) definitely is. It's entirely feasible for both your experience and DxO's tests to be representative of the lens .

Feb 04, 2016 at 09:45 AM
FordTran
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · I've outgrown my Sigma 17-50. Suggestions for replacement.

Had that lens for a while on my nikon crops and I did not experience sharpness issues wide open. Depends on your budget these are my recommendations.

Any sigma art in that range. 35/1.4, 50/1.4,18-35/1.8
New line tammies with VC, 35/1.8, 45/1.8, 15-30/2.8

Of course the 17-50 from canon is legendary. I hear the stm lenses are good. New nifty 50stm, 40 pancake. I will say that the 50/1.4 is a dog. Hated it.

I know you said no body upgrade, but you can't deny the fact that New technologies has propelled Iso performance. meaning slower hand held shutter speeds or smaller aperture or just higher iso in low light is possible. These three factors alone should give you a very powerful tool for capturing sharp images in crappy light, especially with some LR post processing to clean up.

Feb 04, 2016 at 10:12 AM
MGH-PA
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · I've outgrown my Sigma 17-50. Suggestions for replacement.

FordTran wrote:
Had that lens for a while on my nikon crops and I did not experience sharpness issues wide open. Depends on your budget these are my recommendations.

Any sigma art in that range. 35/1.4, 50/1.4,18-35/1.8
New line tammies with VC, 35/1.8, 45/1.8, 15-30/2.8

Of course the 17-50 from canon is legendary. I hear the stm lenses are good. New nifty 50stm, 40 pancake. I will say that the 50/1.4 is a dog. Hated it.

I know you said no body upgrade, but you can't deny the fact that New technologies has propelled Iso performance. meaning slower hand held shutter speeds or smaller
...Show more

Thanks!

Well I have the 70D. It's not that outdated

Feb 04, 2016 at 11:19 AM
Charlie N
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · I've outgrown my Sigma 17-50. Suggestions for replacement.

when I outgrew my siggy, I went to full frame, you really dont have much wiggle room.

Feb 04, 2016 at 12:05 PM
takowasa
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · I've outgrown my Sigma 17-50. Suggestions for replacement.

18-35 / 1.8 + 85 / 1.8.

Feb 07, 2016 at 06:50 PM
MGH-PA
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · I've outgrown my Sigma 17-50. Suggestions for replacement.

Bumping this back up here. After looking over some things and seeing what I'm lacking, I'm considering jumping into FF. The problem is, I still want a good video system. I've thought about abandoning the whole setup and going with a D750 and some good glass (one package in particular that is for sale on here by a member is catching my eye). I'm just not sure I will be able to get used to the Nikon menu system and camera controls after this much time with Canon. The 6d doesn't gain me anything with video, and the 5dmkIII is priced too high imho when compared to other Nikon offerings.

Thoughts?

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:45 AM
dthrog00
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · I've outgrown my Sigma 17-50. Suggestions for replacement.

I'd recommend trying one in person and maybe taking a look through the manual or Youtube videos.

Dave

Feb 24, 2016 at 08:01 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · I've outgrown my Sigma 17-50. Suggestions for replacement.

MGH-PA wrote:
Bumping this back up here. After looking over some things and seeing what I'm lacking, I'm considering jumping into FF. The problem is, I still want a good video system. I've thought about abandoning the whole setup and going with a D750 and some good glass (one package in particular that is for sale on here by a member is catching my eye). I'm just not sure I will be able to get used to the Nikon menu system and camera controls after this much time with Canon. The 6d doesn't gain me anything with video, and the 5dmkIII is
...Show more

It's hard to complain with what the D750 brings to the table- it's still a lower performance body than the 70D when it comes to action, and it won't AF during video nearly as well, but it does exceed the 6D in all aspects except for super-high ISO performance, and the 5D III in many.

If what you want is better video output, it may be your camera. Just note that you're going to pay for the lenses!

Feb 24, 2016 at 08:07 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.