Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Can you overcharge a Canon LP-E6 camera battery with the LC-EJ Canon Bat...

R.E. Simmons

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Can you overcharge a Canon LP-E6 camera battery with the LC-EJ Canon BatteryCharger ?

I plugged ib a canon LC-E6 battery charger with a Canon LP-E6 battery (all Canon original equipment) in for charging and forgot it for 48 hours. The battery nor the charger was not hot when I remembered but glowed a blinking green. The battery is not swollen. It fit perfectly into the Canon 7D, no bulging and fired up and works with the 7D with no problem.

Is there an over protection device in the charger or may I have damaged the battery or the charger? I don't want a damaged Lithium battery in the mix,

Not one of my brighter moves. Any sound information of this would be appreciated. Would anyone suggest calling Canon directly about this.

Thanks for your time and trouble if you answer.

Best,
R.E. Simmons

Feb 02, 2016 at 11:39 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Can you overcharge a Canon LP-E6 camera battery with the LC-EJ Canon BatteryCharger ?

To the best of my knowledge....no issues here.

I often place a battery in the charger and several days later may go to get it.

There is a chip in the battery and charger....that when it is at full charge, it stops charging.

Feb 02, 2016 at 11:48 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Can you overcharge a Canon LP-E6 camera battery with the LC-EJ Canon BatteryCharger ?

The charge terminates at max voltage (~4.2V/cell) when the charge current drops below C/30 or something. The longest I've left the battery in the charger is about a week.

EBH

Feb 02, 2016 at 11:52 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Can you overcharge a Canon LP-E6 camera battery with the LC-EJ Canon BatteryCharger ?

I've left a battery in the charger for weeks. The chargers detect when a battery is charged and then either stop charging, or switch to a tiny maintenance charging that keeps the battery from going down.

Obviously, its best to pull them out in a day or two, but it won't hurt anything unless there is a defective charger or battery.

Feb 03, 2016 at 12:29 AM
charlyw
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Can you overcharge a Canon LP-E6 camera battery with the LC-EJ Canon BatteryCharger ?

R.E. Simmons wrote:
Is there an over protection device in the charger

Of course there is, else the charger wouldn't have received the necessary certifications to be sold... Both the battery and the charger do in fact have several layers of protections against damage.

Feb 03, 2016 at 04:57 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Can you overcharge a Canon LP-E6 camera battery with the LC-EJ Canon BatteryCharger ?

R.E. Simmons wrote:
The battery nor the charger was not hot when I remembered but glowed a blinking green.

Certainly shouldn't have been blinking after that long.

Use the battery and and if possible check the charger with another known battery.

Also please note that if you bought the charger separately from the camera there are some counterfeit chargers that do this and are dangerous - even though they look exactly like Canon OEM, I have inadvertently bought two.

Feb 03, 2016 at 05:52 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Can you overcharge a Canon LP-E6 camera battery with the LC-EJ Canon BatteryCharger ?

Modern devices have fail safes for overcharging.

Feb 03, 2016 at 07:01 AM
R.E. Simmons

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Can you overcharge a Canon LP-E6 camera battery with the LC-EJ Canon BatteryCharger ?

Thank you to all that have replied. I appreciate the input.

Feb 03, 2016 at 08:52 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.