FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2016 · Canon EOS-1D X Mark II interview with Chuck Westfall

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon EOS-1D X Mark II interview with Chuck Westfall

Canon 1DX Mark II interview with Chuck Westfall
Ari Hazeghi (speedmaster20d) posted an interviewed with Chuck Westfall, Technical Adviser at Canon, discussing the EOS-1D X Mark II's new features.

Here is an excerpt:

AH: What are the main hardware and software improvements incorporated in the the new 61-point high-density reticular AF II system compared to the original system in the EOS-1D X?

CW:
1. Low-light sensitivity has been doubled to EV -3 at the center AF point when the camera is set to One-Shot AF. This makes the new camera easier to use in extremely low light.
2. AF point illumination in the viewfinder has been significantly enhanced, making the EOS-1D X Mark II easier to use in a wide variety of shooting conditions.
3. All 61 AF points remain active even with lens/extender combinations featuring a maximum aperture of f/8 (compared to center point-only AF with the EOS-1D X under the same conditions).
4. AF coverage across the image area has been expanded by up to 24% compared to the EOS-1D X, and we have added Zone AF for greater compositional flexibility.

To read the entire interview, visit Ari's blog

Pre-order the new Canon EOS-1D X Mark II for $5,999 (Body only) or $6,299 (Premium Kit)

1. Canon EOS-1D X Mark II DSLR Camera (Body Only)
    B&H Photo | Adorama

2. Canon EOS-1D X Mark II DSLR Camera (Premium Kit)
    B&H Photo | Adorama

Feb 02, 2016 at 07:35 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon EOS-1D X Mark II interview with Chuck Westfall

Its always interesting to read Chuck's interview comments. He is probably the best qualified to answer questions. I recognize that he works for Canon, but he also answers technical questions that others only guess at.

Feb 02, 2016 at 07:40 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon EOS-1D X Mark II interview with Chuck Westfall

Fred Miranda wrote:
CW:
....2. AF point illumination in the viewfinder has been significantly enhanced, making the EOS-1D X Mark II easier to use in a wide variety of shooting conditions.

I wonder, what does that mean?

Feb 02, 2016 at 08:13 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon EOS-1D X Mark II interview with Chuck Westfall

I thought it was back to old 1D AF standard of LED projected reddish squares.

EBH

Feb 02, 2016 at 08:24 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon EOS-1D X Mark II interview with Chuck Westfall

How will Chuck respond to the trolls complaining about Canon only having 41 x-type points vs Nikon's 99. Apparently Canon's dropped the ball big time.

1DX II has really bright red illuminated AF points now visible all the time.

Feb 02, 2016 at 08:25 PM
pompo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon EOS-1D X Mark II interview with Chuck Westfall

why nobody in the US is mentioning that Canon has finally an on chip ADC ? Shouldn't image quality improvement be one of the most important key features?

Feb 03, 2016 at 12:17 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon EOS-1D X Mark II interview with Chuck Westfall

Where in the Canon specs. is it stated that there is on-sensor ADC? Perhaps that claim is inaccurate.

EBH

Feb 03, 2016 at 12:20 AM
pompo
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon EOS-1D X Mark II interview with Chuck Westfall

http://www.eoshd.com/2016/02/all-is-revealed-canon-1d-x-mark-ii-video-faq/

Says Ebrahim:

“The sensor uses an entirely new on-chip ADC design, as well as micro-lens gapless design. The new chip offers marked improvement over the predecessor in high-iso performance and dynamic range that’s applicable to still images and video mode. The sensor was designed for speed in-mind therefore allowed the 4k60/HD120 plus vastly improved rolling shutter performance on the video side.”

“I can definitely confirm the 4K video image off the new sensor is the highest quality video of any Canon DSLR camera, in terms of resolution, dynamic range, lack of compression artefacts, and striking lowlight ability. The image reproaches that of current highest-end cinema cameras in a DSLR body, with AF and phenomenal stills performance. And a major point is that the 1DXII quality allows it to go places even the Cx00 cameras simply cannot due to the [weather sealed] body.”

Feb 03, 2016 at 12:32 AM
pompo
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon EOS-1D X Mark II interview with Chuck Westfall

I have read it more than once in a few different places.

Feb 03, 2016 at 12:35 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon EOS-1D X Mark II interview with Chuck Westfall

But Ebrahim does not work for Canon, or do I misunderstand? It's all very strange.

EBH

Feb 03, 2016 at 12:39 AM
pompo
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon EOS-1D X Mark II interview with Chuck Westfall

he said he had a Canon source who's NDA expired,,,here is another mention:
http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2016/02/02/canon-eos-1d-x-mark-ii-hands-on-review/

The sensor gets a modest resoltuion upgrade, from 18 megapixels to 20, but the real work here has gone on behind the scenes, with the new on-chip A/D converter design and Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology for faster, smoother live view autofocus.

Edited on Feb 03, 2016 at 12:57 AM · View previous versions

Feb 03, 2016 at 12:47 AM
Scottgoh

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon EOS-1D X Mark II interview with Chuck Westfall

nice to upgrade to this new mark 2

Feb 03, 2016 at 12:49 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon EOS-1D X Mark II interview with Chuck Westfall

EB-1 wrote:
But Ebrahim does not work for Canon, or do I misunderstand? It's all very strange.

EBH

It's *really* strange that North American reviewers were basically not told anything about the move of the ADCs on sensor. Even DPReview (Rishi) is saying that they got nothing about it when people asked why it wasn't in their overview, and provided European sources.

But at this point, we can take it as mostly fact. Many reviewers (whether they're aware of the change, or even know what it is) are commenting about clean shadows at all ISOs. It may or may not be what one would expect from a 20MP 135-full-frame Exmor, but it's certainly better than what Canon has released so far.

Feb 03, 2016 at 12:59 AM
bhollis
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon EOS-1D X Mark II interview with Chuck Westfall

johnctharp wrote:
It's *really* strange that North American reviewers were basically not told anything about the move of the ADCs on sensor. Even DPReview (Rishi) is saying that they got nothing about it when people asked why it wasn't in their overview, and provided European sources.

But at this point, we can take it as mostly fact. Many reviewers (whether they're aware of the change, or even know what it is) are commenting about clean shadows at all ISOs. It may or may not be what one would expect from a 20MP 135-full-frame Exmor, but it's certainly better than what Canon has released
...Show more

That the 1DX II has on-chip ADCs seems pretty clear at this point. I've seen references to this in too many places for them all to be wrong.

Why Canon USA is being so coy about it is less clear. My guess is that that this issue has posed something of a marketing conundrum for Canon. Do they highlight the move to on-chip ADCs and all the benefits it brings? If they do, then mightn't it be seen by some as a tacit admission that the folks who have been criticizing Canon sensors for the past few years were right all along? And if Canon starts touting the benefits of on-chip ADCs, where does that leave the sensors in all of Canon's other current cameras? Potentially looking somewhat lacking. Canon's other option is just to stay mum, or just talk about gapless micro lenses, and let the reviewers sing the new sensor's praises. My guess is Canon USA has opted for the latter approach.

Of course, I'm just speculating and might be way off base.

Feb 03, 2016 at 01:40 AM
pompo
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon EOS-1D X Mark II interview with Chuck Westfall

I'm wondering if it is the same rumor being repeated over and over that makes it become real...is on chip ADC the only way to achieve this "better details in shadows less noise-more latitude " ?

I have found on the Italian canon site where they mention more latitude in over and under exposing without losing any details, and less noise at any ISO sensitivity. But they they only talk about gapless "something".

Feb 03, 2016 at 01:53 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon EOS-1D X Mark II interview with Chuck Westfall

bhollis wrote:
That the 1DX II has on-chip ADCs seems pretty clear at this point. I've seen references to this in too many places for them all to be wrong.

Why Canon USA is being so coy about it is less clear. My guess is that that this issue has posed something of a marketing conundrum for Canon. Do they highlight the move to on-chip ADCs and all the benefits it brings? If they do, then mightn't it be seen by some as a tacit admission that the folks who have been criticizing Canon sensors for the past few years were right all
...Show more

Exactly my thoughts on the matter.

Edit. One more thing: The A/D C might also just be a bi-product of Canon having to read-out the sensor very fast for 4K @ 60 fps, so it is *not* safe to say that they will use the tech in other new sensors. It might also be an expensive sensor tech for them although it isn't for Sony/Nikon.

Edited on Feb 03, 2016 at 02:33 AM · View previous versions

Feb 03, 2016 at 02:08 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon EOS-1D X Mark II interview with Chuck Westfall

pompo wrote:
I'm wondering if it is the same rumor being repeated over and over that makes it become real...

A guy from Canon UK, David Parry, told about the on-sensor A/D C in a video, so it is no rumor.

http://youtu.be/9zMhvISTvTY

Edited on Feb 03, 2016 at 02:15 AM · View previous versions

Feb 03, 2016 at 02:10 AM
pompo
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon EOS-1D X Mark II interview with Chuck Westfall

ok that settles my doubts, now if April 26 would come !!! I am ready!

Feb 03, 2016 at 02:14 AM
bhollis
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon EOS-1D X Mark II interview with Chuck Westfall

pompo wrote:
ok that settles my doubts, now if April 26 would come !!! I am ready!

My doubts won't be fully settled until I see some test results.

Feb 03, 2016 at 02:35 AM
charlyw
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon EOS-1D X Mark II interview with Chuck Westfall

With all that forum hullabaloo about on sensor A/DC - what if that does only bring noticeable benefits at high ISO (all the comments I saw regarding image quality centered around this performance area) while it brings new problems or no changes at base ISO with it. I don't believe the on sensor A/DC are the miracle cure everybody (as in vocal forum nerd demanding their use) makes them out to be...

There are at least 2 different kinds of A/D converters that Canon could use, the type used by Sony is notoriously slow (but quite precise) and thus they need to use an awful lot of these to get enough throughput to make them feasible. Canon usually had external A/D converters which operated at very high speed - so speed never was a problem and the whole Digic architecture isn't conductive to use the large amount of parallel A/D converters like Sony does. So maybe Canon went the route to integrate the previously external A/D converters, thereby reducing circuitry distance and in turn noise coming from the previous pathways but still persisted with the fast A/D converters with as usual 8 or 12 of them in parallel coupled to the input lines of the Digic processors. Then the benefits could lie squarely in the realm of high ISO and none or very little at low ISO - which would fit the intended target audience of the 1DxII...

Feb 03, 2016 at 04:20 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.