Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Do I need to calibrate my lens?

summer19
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do I need to calibrate my lens?

I just bought a new body (5D mkiii) and I'm wondering if I need to/should have my current lenses calibrated. I've never done so in the past, but my focus seems to be a little off.

Any thoughts/tips appreciated.

Feb 01, 2016 at 07:45 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do I need to calibrate my lens?

I do it every time I get a new camera or lens. The "dot tune" method developed by snapsy is probably a great place to start, if you haven't done this kind of thing before.

Dot tune, https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1187247/0

Feb 01, 2016 at 08:04 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do I need to calibrate my lens?

But first... You might want to put the thing on a camera, mount on a tripod, attach a remote release and see how it does already.

Feb 01, 2016 at 09:44 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do I need to calibrate my lens?

summer19 wrote:
I just bought a new body (5D mkiii) and I'm wondering if I need to/should have my current lenses calibrated. I've never done so in the past, but my focus seems to be a little off.

Any thoughts/tips appreciated.

Why are you wondering about it? YOU have to determine why your "focus is a little off", by properly testing all your lenses.

Feb 01, 2016 at 10:06 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do I need to calibrate my lens?

Just a comment in case you did not realize it.

The AFMA adjustment adjusts the camera to the lens for a given distance to subject. It does not calibrate the lens. The lens will have to be sent to Canon if it needs calibration. One of the reasons you might send it to Canon is if the AF varies by a great deal with subject distance. A small variation is normal, but if AF is way off at say 5 ft, but excellent at 30 ft, only Canon can fix that.

Feb 02, 2016 at 01:08 AM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do I need to calibrate my lens?

The first thing I've done with a new camera or lens is to check the focus. too late when the shots come out a little fuzzy. easily done, easily corrected, That's why Canon made it.

Feb 02, 2016 at 01:14 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Do I need to calibrate my lens?

Two times now it needed to "adjust" my new purchased camera body (EOS 350/rebell XT in 2005 and 5D MK II in 2009). I do not know what CPS did, but after it all my lenses (only three) where working fine again at MFA set to "0" (with 5D II of course, the rebell did not offer MFA).

If you calibrate all your lenses to your new body and this one is not adjusted correct, you will get in trouble with those lenses with any other body you might purchase or use.

Ralph

Feb 02, 2016 at 03:53 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Do I need to calibrate my lens?

Ralph Conway wrote:
If you calibrate all your lenses to your new body and this one is not adjusted correct, you will get in trouble with those lenses with any other body you might purchase or use.

Ralph

That's why any of my lenses that exhibit a problem go back for repair or replacement.

Feb 02, 2016 at 10:31 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.