New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Gino (Updated)

dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gino (Updated)

This is our friend Gino, who was our guide of the winery at Castillo di Verrazzano. He was a wonderful guide who knew the history and the operation of the organic winery front to back. He spoke wonderful English and since he lives in Florence, he gave us some great tips to make our visit there memorable. We did the wine and food pairing. The both the food and wine were superb.

I bought a 135mm f2.0 specifically to take on the trip so I could leave the 70-200 f2.8 at home.

I got some great suggestions that I have incorporated in this new image. I took some of the red out of the ears and removed the patch from his jacket. Thanks to all for their helpful critiques.

© Doug MacMillan 2016

Our Guide Gino

Edited on Feb 01, 2016 at 05:22 PM · View previous versions

Jan 31, 2016 at 06:40 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gino (Updated)

I love this shot, Doug.

I might be inclined to tone the red down on his ears (just what I see on monitor) but the backstory, the image and the processing so fits. The texture of his skin is superb to my eye. Straight to my inspiration folder.

Really well done buddy.

Chuck

Jan 31, 2016 at 06:52 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gino (Updated)

nolaguy wrote:
I love this shot, Doug.

I might be inclined to tone the red down on his ears (just what I see on monitor) but the backstory, the image and the processing so fits. The texture of his skin is superb to my eye. Straight to my inspiration folder.

Really well done buddy.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck! I agree about the ears. I think the red got accentuated in the jpeg conversion. I might have to fix that.

Jan 31, 2016 at 06:57 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gino (Updated)

Nice, Doug! I love the energy in his eyes, and I just feel like there's a story ready to come out of him as I look at his face.

That's a sweet lens, but I'm surprised you'd want that over the 70-200 just due to the flexibility you'd have with the zoom. Nonetheless, you're working that 135 sweetly! Great job!

Jan 31, 2016 at 08:49 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gino (Updated)

friscoron wrote:
Nice, Doug! I love the energy in his eyes, and I just feel like there's a story ready to come out of him as I look at his face.

That's a sweet lens, but I'm surprised you'd want that over the 70-200 just due to the flexibility you'd have with the zoom. Nonetheless, you're working that 135 sweetly! Great job!

Thanks Ron!

It was an excuse to get the 135, which I had wanted. I just felt the 70-200 would be so big and white that it would draw attention. We're cruising down the Rhine in July and I'll take the 70-200. We'll be joining another couple who suggested it. I've know Mark since the second grade and known Toni since before they married 40 years ago. It was 50 years ago this July/August that Mark's mother, took 8 high school students on a trip to Europe. It was on that trip that Deb and I shared our first kiss in Florence. On that trip, we all made a pact to return in 50 years. 3 of the 8 will honor that pact.

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:01 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gino (Updated)

I think its a very nice portrait. Good expression.

I will ignore color since I'm learning I'm a terrible judge of that.

One thing worth thinking about to me is the jacket logo pulls me to the bottom right. I wish it were either fully in frame or cropped out. it probably falls under "stuff only photographers care about" though.

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:04 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gino (Updated)

Evan Baines wrote:
One thing worth thinking about to me is the jacket logo pulls me to the bottom right. I wish it were either fully in frame or cropped out. it probably falls under "stuff only photographers care about" though.

I agree with Evan on the jacket applique, I just didn't want to sound too nitty. I think that may mean Evan is nitty?

In any case, Doug, I would clone it out.

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:11 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gino (Updated)

Thanks to Chuck, Ron and Evan for their suggestions. I've changed the image. If you still see the patch, you may have to do a hard refresh, which is <Ctrl>F5 on a PC.

On a side note, I took the image through PortraitPro 15, the newest version. It does a better job than previous versions IMO and allows you to do some skin work without getting that plastic look.

Feb 02, 2016 at 08:15 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gino (Updated)

I agree nice portrait. I would pull of a touch of saturation and maybe just a touch of vibrance. I usually always pull out a little sat on all my portraits. First get density then adjust color. Density can effect how we view/judge color but fine portrait indeed.

Feb 02, 2016 at 11:30 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gino (Updated)

airfrogusmc wrote:
I agree nice portrait. I would pull of a touch of saturation and maybe just a touch of vibrance. I usually always pull out a little sat on all my portraits. First get density then adjust color. Density can effect how we view/judge color but fine portrait indeed.

I'll have to try that. It also made me think of another trick I've used that I like. I make a nice full B&W image as a new layer, then set its opacity very low. It gives a very nice feel to the image. I think I'll try that tonight.

Thanks!

Feb 02, 2016 at 11:45 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Gino (Updated)

Enjoy your trip! I lived in Germany for almost six years and made that trip up and down the Rhine (where all the castles are) quite a few times. A friend of mine actually runs tours throughout Europe and specializes in that area. I just love that whole area, it's like you're entering another world. Let me know if you post pics in one of the other forums, as I'll definitely want to check them out.

Feb 02, 2016 at 12:03 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Gino (Updated)

friscoron wrote:
Let me know if you post pics in one of the other forums, as I'll definitely want to check them out.

Will do.

BTW, I showed the photo of Gino to some friends at work. Several ladies wanted to go home, pack and fly off to Italy!

Feb 02, 2016 at 12:14 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Gino (Updated)

dmacmillan wrote:
I'll have to try that. It also made me think of another trick I've used that I like. I make a nice full B&W image as a new layer, then set its opacity very low. It gives a very nice feel to the image. I think I'll try that tonight.

Thanks!

I think just backing off a few clicks of saturation and/or vibrance is easier. I'm usually dial down about 8 on sat with my color portraits. If I only want to effect the skin and keep the sat where it's at in the rest of the image I use a quick mask capture the face and other skin and dial it back a touch. I think it looks more natural, I used to love the look of VPS for color portraits then portra natural.

Edited on Feb 02, 2016 at 02:24 PM · View previous versions

Feb 02, 2016 at 12:31 PM
Numfar
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Gino (Updated)

This looks really good.

Feb 02, 2016 at 01:53 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Gino (Updated)

Numfar wrote:
This looks really good.

Thanks! You are one of my favorite photographers here, your kind words are much appreciated!

Feb 02, 2016 at 02:28 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Gino (Updated)

I took Allen's advice and toned the image down a little with adjusting saturation and vibrance.

The first image is done with those adjustments. The second uses a B&W copy overlaid with the opacity turned down. I used it as a mask, adjusting the amount of change differently for the jacket and his face. Is either better and do you have a preference?

Thanks,
Doug

© Doug MacMillan 2016

Gino with Saturation and Vibrance adjusted.

© Doug MacMillan 2016

Gino with B&W overlay as adjustment

Feb 02, 2016 at 05:32 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Gino (Updated)

Doug, to my eye all three versions are huge wins. It just depends on what look you're after (and/or how you recall his skin tone in that light on that day). I think most would go with 2 or 3 but I don't perceive No.1 to be over the top on my monitor.

It's simply a gorgeous portrait and "capture" in the truest sense.

Chuck

Feb 02, 2016 at 06:38 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.