New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Custom Tripod Scabbard Molle Vest

RobAmy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Custom Tripod Scabbard Molle Vest

I figured I would share a gear carrying system I put together. It or may not interest some

This a Custom Tripod Scabbard I had made by

Sunrise Tactical Gear

Scott was great to deal with and highly recommended.

The base is a Molle Load Bearing Harness system with a PLB belt by Warrior Assault Systems. I wanted something like this for years. Finally I had it built. I am loving it. I wanted something that is fast and can handle the large lens weights that I use up to my 800mm. The 200-400 and 70-200mm are pictured. It holds my Gitzo tripod with the RRS FH-350 fluid head. I wanted a quick deployment of my tripod once I was at my location with my camera or cameras ready to use. This is comfortable and fast. You can put pouches to taste depending on your needs. I prefer this to a backpack for speed of being ready to shoot and not have to carry my tripod separate or strapped to the backpack. It is a open top design so I just reach back and pullout the tripod and just slide it back in once done. I am using the Kirk super handles (old version) to carry the lenses.

Everything together is a little pricey but for me well worth it for the ease of use of my gear.

Custom Tripod Scabbard Molle Vest by A & R Photography, on Flickr

The Vest I used

Jan 31, 2016 at 05:42 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Custom Tripod Scabbard Molle Vest

so it is not attached to the belt so your back can somewhat naturally curve and reasonable freedom of movement?

Jan 31, 2016 at 06:34 PM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Custom Tripod Scabbard Molle Vest

Correct, however that tripod scabbard has a full molle plate from top to bottom so the user can attach it however they feel will work best for them. Or to a different vest system altogether. The scabbard comes with malice clips so you can put them where you like. My tripod is more top heavy with the video head so I put my clips as high up also. It does come with compression straps which you can move also. I like one up high and one attached to the belt to control any side movement but still gives me flexibility.

Jan 31, 2016 at 06:44 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Custom Tripod Scabbard Molle Vest

RobAmy wrote:
The scabbard comes with malice clips...

Alice clips, right?

I find the psychology behind the desire to appear tactical interesting. Not sure about others, but as one matures I think it becomes less.

Carrying anything vaguely tactical can - and has in my travels - attract unwanted attention.

Nowadays I prefer low-key.

Jan 31, 2016 at 08:22 PM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Custom Tripod Scabbard Molle Vest

It comes with Malice clips. There also are Alice clips which I have never used.

I agree on the tactical look. I wanted the harness style vs full vest so it is a little less tactical looking. I don't have a need to look tactical at all but it is more useful for my needs. I do not think I will run thru airport security with it on

Jan 31, 2016 at 08:32 PM
shutchinson

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Custom Tripod Scabbard Molle Vest

I like that. Never really liked a vest either. I've worn an LBE many years ago, and you did a great job putting that together. I have a molle waist belt, but if I load it up, it pulls my pants down. That gets embarrassing...

My Pro Tactic 350 is more "tactic" than I prefer, but I got it for its size and function, and I can always pull the rain cover up and you can't tell what it is.

This is a great place for molle attachments and web gear...

http://www.hudson4supplies.com/

Edited on Jan 31, 2016 at 10:33 PM · View previous versions

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:26 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Custom Tripod Scabbard Molle Vest

RobAmy wrote:
I figured I would share a gear carrying system I put together. It or may not interest some

This a Custom Tripod Scabbard I had made by

Scott was great to deal with and highly recommended.

The base is a Molle Load Bearing Harness system with a PLB belt by Warrior Assault Systems. I wanted something like this for years. Finally I had it built. I am loving it. I wanted something that is fast and can handle the large lens weights that I use up to my 800mm. The 200-400 and 70-200mm are pictured. It holds my Gitzo tripod
...Show more

That looks very serious and heavy. How do you handle the rain and snow?

EBH

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:31 PM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Custom Tripod Scabbard Molle Vest

I just use a poncho for rain, it snowing I would not use this vest but instead my guar gear or f-stop pack. This is best suited for nicer conditions for ease of use as any camera gear setups.

Feb 01, 2016 at 09:49 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.