FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Snail Set

Dalantech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Snail Set

Technique: I found this small snail on the underside of a flower petal. There wasn't much I could do with it due to the angle, so I flipped the petal over the flower.

Tech Specs: Canon 70D (F14, 1/250, ISO 200) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (1x) + a diffused MT-24EX. This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. I used an artificial flower for the background.

Timid by John Kimbler, on Flickr

I put a little water on it to see if I could get it to come out of its shell. As it started to move I looked for some interesting angles. Shooting top down shots are really boring -it's the same angle that we normally view the small world so get down low. Get the viewer on the same level as the subject and you might just capture some personality...

About 1.5x for the next two frames.

Is it Safe Yet? II by John Kimbler, on Flickr

What's Up? by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Jan 31, 2016 at 03:55 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Snail Set

John,

The petal held up well.

A snail looks like an easy macro subject but they are not. You will often find the snail turning to be at right angles to its shell when you least want it too.

Also, getting two eyes and a significant part of the front end of the shell in the same plane can be frustrating. To get all five point sharp in the last image is a triumph.

I like the yellow theme. I suspect some yellow on the shell bounced of the surroundings.

Harold

Jan 31, 2016 at 04:23 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Snail Set

Very nice series.

Jan 31, 2016 at 01:53 PM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Snail Set

Thanks Harold and Jonathan

Jan 31, 2016 at 03:29 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.