New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Looking for opinions on what to buy a 7d or 1d mark 3

bulldogimaging

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for opinions on what to buy a 7d or 1d mark 3

I am in the market for a new to me camera I have about 600 to spend and have been looking at either a 7d or 1d mark 3. I generally use my camera for car shows and travel photography I currently own a 24-105 l lenses a nifty 50 and a tokina 11-16 all being shot on a original 1d I have a go pro so I not looking to shoot video at all please everyone give me your opinions for my next purchase

Jan 30, 2016 at 09:48 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for opinions on what to buy a 7d or 1d mark 3

IQ - very little difference between the two with perhaps a slight resolution edge to the 7D and 'richness' to the 1D3.

Ergonomics/weight/size are so personal that it takes an potential buyer to figure it out for themselves. If you find you are constantly flipping around to portrait orientation - the 1D3.

Travel - here the 7D may appeal more.

Burst rate, battery life, ruggedness, sex appeal - the 1D3 hands down.

Dual slots for instant back up - the 1D3.

7D's are slight current - at least locally they are - meaning possible longer support from Canon.

Jan 30, 2016 at 10:27 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for opinions on what to buy a 7d or 1d mark 3

1DIII and a guy has one on the B & S right now for 450.00.

Jan 30, 2016 at 10:47 PM
rdalrt
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for opinions on what to buy a 7d or 1d mark 3

Of the two you mention, 1D3.

However, for mostly car shows and travel photography and a budget of $600, have you considered the original 5D?

Jan 31, 2016 at 08:44 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for opinions on what to buy a 7d or 1d mark 3

I'd get the 1DIII. I shot a 7D and 1DIII together for a couple of years. The 1DIII had more accurate AF and, if you didn't have to crop, better IQ. The 7D has higher resolution, but its IQ quickly deteriorates if you start to crop it. The 7D has a "reach advantage" compared to the 1DIII, due to its higher sensor density (232 ppmm vs. 138 ppmm), but since the 1DIII has better "per pixel" IQ, this is often not actually realized in most situations. It sounds like you won't be "reach limited" for most car show and travel situations, and so the only plus for the 7D would be its relatively small size and low weight; otherwise, the 1DIII is the best choice.

Jan 31, 2016 at 09:13 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for opinions on what to buy a 7d or 1d mark 3

rdalrt wrote:
Of the two you mention, 1D3.

However, for mostly car shows and travel photography and a budget of $600, have you considered the original 5D?

...or save up a little longer and get a 5DII.

Jan 31, 2016 at 09:14 AM
bulldogimaging

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for opinions on what to buy a 7d or 1d mark 3

I had considered a 5d original but decided against just cause in the want I want to shoot anything fast moving like a day at the track I will end up being limited I appreciate everyone's input and I'm leaning towards that 1d3

Jan 31, 2016 at 09:35 AM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for opinions on what to buy a 7d or 1d mark 3

Like some of the others here, I also simultaneously owned a 1D Mark III and a 7D. I ultimately sold the 1D Mark III and kept the 7D. The primary reason for doing so was that my use for those cameras often came in focal length-limited situations, and the much higher pixel density of the 7D gave me clearly better results.

I found that, while I really liked the original image quality of the 1D Mark III, if I had to crop a 1D Mark III image to the same field of view as an uncropped 7D image, the image quality advantage quickly shifted to the 7D.

On the other hand, if I were not shooting in focal length-limited situations and if I knew that it was going to be rare for me to have to severely crop 1D Mark III images, I might well have chosen to keep the 1D Mark III over the 7D.

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:05 AM
Tareq
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking for opinions on what to buy a 7d or 1d mark 3

Can't you wait little more to save more and go with 7D mkII? between those two i will definitely go with 1D3, but if you add 7DII then this will be a change point, many recommended me to go with 7D2 sacrificing my 1D3, but 7D i have a friend who is shooting with 7D and he always prefer my 1D3 over his 7D.

Jan 31, 2016 at 11:15 AM
mxrider641
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking for opinions on what to buy a 7d or 1d mark 3

I had heard all the stories about the 1 series, but did not understand until I picked one up. Once I picked up a heavily used MKIII, I have not used my 7D. The downsize of the MKIII is the screen resolution and the reach if you need it. As has been said here before, the MKIII images just look better to my eye, and I always liked my 7D(s). Saving now for a MKIV (even though I do like my 7DII).

Jan 31, 2016 at 04:13 PM
Nuchuga
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking for opinions on what to buy a 7d or 1d mark 3

Ive owned both and unless your shooting sports, the 7D would be my pick! The 1D will quickly get heavy and large to travel with along with the fact that is resolution is on the lower end. Its a great camera but would probably be lest realistic to shoot still photography with! Plus you can still get them serviced!

Feb 01, 2016 at 06:33 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking for opinions on what to buy a 7d or 1d mark 3

bulldogimaging wrote:
I am in the market for a new to me camera I have about 600 to spend and have been looking at either a 7d or 1d mark 3. I generally use my camera for car shows and travel photography I currently own a 24-105 l lenses a nifty 50 and a tokina 11-16 all being shot on a original 1d I have a go pro so I not looking to shoot video at all please everyone give me your opinions for my next purchase

I owned both a the 1D III is just a better camera overall. As long as you can afford longer glass then get the 1D III or get a 7D II. I would not recommend a 7D at this stage. Otherwise wait for the 80D which will probbaly be a much better camera than the 7D ever was. 70D AF is supposedly improved over 7D, 80D should improve the 70D's AF again.

Feb 01, 2016 at 07:13 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Looking for opinions on what to buy a 7d or 1d mark 3

I considered those two cameras years ago when the 7D was new, and I ended up with a 1d3. I thought the files looked a lot better and once you get used to the ergonomics, that was better too. Noise looked better to me and you could really beat those big fat pixels up in post without killing your image. The battery life too... man. I'm going to miss that.

You might want to consider the 7d2. BH has 'em for about 1149 after rebate with some other useful items bundled in, which is not terribly more than a used 7d or 1d3 (ok, double). The 7d2 is a terrific all-arounder for a crop camera.

Feb 05, 2016 at 10:25 PM
Fred Meebley
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Looking for opinions on what to buy a 7d or 1d mark 3

What lenses do you have, and do you like to shoot wide landscape shots when you travel?

Feb 07, 2016 at 10:19 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.