New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Profoto Air remote and Acute 2R

D4765
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Profoto Air remote and Acute 2R

I have a Profoto Air Remote to trigger my B-1's and D-1's. I am using a TTL-N, however I do not use the ttl function, only manual. I recently purchased a Acute 2R power pack. that has a built in pocket wizard receiver. My question is what do I need to trigger the pack and still be able to use my air remote to trigger and adjust my B-1's ? I don't want to use a sync cord to trigger the pack or the built in optical slave I am not familiar at all with any of the remotes from pocket wizards or any of the other brands that may or may not be compatible with pw.

From what I have looked at it appears I will have to stack the air remote on top of a pw or compatible transceiver. Any help would be appreciated.

I only need triggering for the 2R pack, even if there was another suggestion for using the packs sync cord port with some type of wireless trigger. Cheaper is better but not a limiting factor.

Jan 30, 2016 at 04:12 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Profoto Air remote and Acute 2R

If I am reading your question correctly, you should be able to connect a Profoto Air transceiver to your Profoto pack (via pc sync cord). Your Profoto TTL-N trigger should trigger the transceiver, albeit no TTL or ability to control the pack power levels. You'll retain full control over the B1s.

ken

Jan 30, 2016 at 07:44 PM
D4765
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Profoto Air remote and Acute 2R

Yes you are reading it correctly. However I want the transceiver mounter on the camera for the convenience of adjusting the B1 airs. I also have the TTL-n. Would it work if I used it to trigger the acute with a small sync cord. Just as a trigger because I never really use the TTL unit for TTl Only manual.

Jan 30, 2016 at 07:54 PM
hakerj01

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Profoto Air remote and Acute 2R

Throw another profoto air sync trigger on the pack, connect another profoto air sync trigger to a pocketwizard, or turn on the optical.

Jan 30, 2016 at 09:29 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Profoto Air remote and Acute 2R

D4765 wrote:
Yes you are reading it correctly. However I want the transceiver mounter on the camera for the convenience of adjusting the B1 airs. I also have the TTL-n. Would it work if I used it to trigger the acute with a small sync cord. Just as a trigger because I never really use the TTL unit for TTl Only manual.

You *could* use a long pc cord but I think too many cords makes it too complex and easy to trip over. I'm not a fan of using optical slaves.

You can use your current Profoto TTL-N on your camera hotshoe to trigger your lights. You can control power levels on the B1 only. You need to add a Profoto Air Sync remote receiver on your Profoto pack. Set everything to the same channel and shoot!

I use a similar set up with the B1, B2 and the Acute2 B600 pack.

Ken

Jan 31, 2016 at 12:52 AM
D4765
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Profoto Air remote and Acute 2R

Thanks to all that contributed. I ordered the air sync receiver last night. Seems like the best option. I don't trust the optical as sometimes it is totally blocked by the modifier and also I shoot tethered when possible and 1 cord to the camera is enough to deal with. Thanks again to all.

D. Morse

Jan 31, 2016 at 06:40 AM
Conner999
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Profoto Air remote and Acute 2R

I do this all the time, just pop a simple AiR unit onto the Acute and away you go.

I have used an AiR into a PW to radio-trigger some additional PW-equipped Profotos, but it's one more point of failure that can sometimes get a bit funky if the PW transceiver gets temperamental.

Jan 31, 2016 at 08:25 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.