FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Little Corona 1/29/16

nismoxr34
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Little Corona 1/29/16

I decided to go out last night, because of the predicted storms this weekend, for a few sunset shots. I haven't really been doing much landscape lately because of my part-time job shooting sports. But it's always nice and refreshing to go out and try to make a photo. I don't really know what I don't like about it, except for how unbalanced it feels, definitely left heavy, but would love some comments and critiques to help me next time I go out.

Edited on Feb 01, 2016 at 04:56 PM · View previous versions

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:00 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Little Corona 1/29/16

Very nice light and image. I'd crop the boat out on the right and crop a tiny bit on the left to lose that small dark rock poking in. I'd also consider cropping or cloning out the cloud that looks a bit like a jet trail at the top middle.

There are some bizarre things going on with the horizon. It is curved and dips down but then pops up again on the left. Is this a blend of more than 1 image? It could just be wave action messing with my eyes.

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:04 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Little Corona 1/29/16

I think it is a great image. FG elements are strong and leads your eye towards the lt upper sky begging for some clouds there. The clouds on the rt hand corner complements the rocks on the Rt lower end nicely. I also like how the sunlight hitting the Rt side rocks.
Nice work Kelvin.
Harsha

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:09 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Little Corona 1/29/16

Very nice image. The colors and the foreground curves make this an enjoyable view.

Maji

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:14 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Little Corona 1/29/16

Hey Kelvin,

This sure looks familiar! I was there shooting the sunset too. I was just to your right next to the Camel rock shooting the water splashing over it. On Wednesday I shot close to wear you are standing.

Great lines here in the reef leading to the arch and I like the water movement in the foreground. I would clone out that fishing boat on the horizon on that right. It was a pain in the butt with them going back and forth out there.

Jim

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:55 PM
nismoxr34
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Little Corona 1/29/16

Scott Kroeker - Yes, that boat suggestion is definitely helpful, I read through your comments and definitely see how that dark area just sticks out!

As for the edge, I don't know what it is, but this is a single exposure. Might be that I should darken or add more contrast at the left, it does look like ghosting, but that was definitely there!

Jan 30, 2016 at 02:17 PM
nismoxr34
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Little Corona 1/29/16

Thanks Harsha! I always love using leading lines or framing and it's hard to find something that works in landscape. I definitely need to do this more and train my eye a little more!

Jan 30, 2016 at 02:18 PM
nismoxr34
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Little Corona 1/29/16

Thanks Manji! definitely a good sunset! Wish the clouds came in a little more, and now the area is full of clouds because of the forecasted showers in the area.

Jan 30, 2016 at 02:18 PM
nismoxr34
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Little Corona 1/29/16

For sure Jim! I was trying to wait for that boat to move out of the frame, but it just didn't!

I walked to Camel Rock around 4:20 to scout the area, but didn't see you there. I did see a few other photographers in the area though. But I remember talking to you a few years ago to meet up! We should one of these days, and love the images you produce.

But yes, I was waiting for the water to come into the reef a little, just to get a little more contrast in the reef, since it was really too dark without any of the water there. Thank you for the comments.

Jan 30, 2016 at 02:22 PM
Surfnsun
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Little Corona 1/29/16

Perhaps what's throwing you off is that it kinda feels like the rocks are leading your eyes away from the sunset?

On a positive note, I love the colors and content!

Jan 30, 2016 at 03:03 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Little Corona 1/29/16

I really like the composition. The foreground rocks are very nice leads and were framed well. The clouds on the right side balance the scene very nicely. The horizon line needs some work though.
Congrats,
Fred

Jan 30, 2016 at 05:07 PM
nismoxr34
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Little Corona 1/29/16

Thanks Surfnsun, yeah it might be just some thing, like luminosity or colors that makes me feel like it's unbalanced.

Jan 31, 2016 at 12:05 AM
nismoxr34
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Little Corona 1/29/16

Fred,

I'll try to upload another edited version with all the critiques, I definitely see that the horizon kind of bends off to the left a little. Thanks for the comments!

Jan 31, 2016 at 12:05 AM
nismoxr34
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Little Corona 1/29/16

Modified horizon slightly as well as a clone of the boat. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Feb 01, 2016 at 04:57 PM
Mike Jacks0n
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Little Corona 1/29/16

One thing I would have tried would be a longer focal length to emphasize the distant formation. However, it may have needed to be changed to a labor intensive stitch to make that work though... Either way, I think it looks nice with the modified horizon and framing.

Feb 02, 2016 at 03:28 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Little Corona 1/29/16

Very nice scenes!

My only suggestion is a slight lowering of the mid tones. But nice as they are...

Feb 02, 2016 at 08:28 PM
nismoxr34
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Little Corona 1/29/16

Mike, Yeah I did want to emphasize the arch. It was hard to get a nice foreground with a larger distant object! I'll try the stitch next time and see how that turns out!

Feb 04, 2016 at 11:40 AM
nismoxr34
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Little Corona 1/29/16

Thanks Mark! When you suggest lowering the midtones, what specifically are you looking at? I feel as if the lower section of the reef is dark enough, but maybe a little tweaking of the midtones in the sky would help out.

Feb 04, 2016 at 11:42 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.