New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Market House Sunrise

WalterF
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Market House Sunrise

Twice a year 11 Nov. and 29 Jan. the sun will show through the arch of the Market House in Fayetteville NC.

Got up early this morning to drove there and the first thing I notice was the hands are not on the clock They are supposed to put them back on this week, a little late!

I shot this with the sun partially obscured from view, the flare issue is less noticeable. I am showing the BW which I like better and the Color for those who like it.

I am going to go back this fall to reshoot as the hands were not on the clock, but I am curious what everyone thinks so if I need to address anything then I will be more prepared.

Thanks for looking

Walt

The Market House Fayetteville, NC

The Market House Fayetteville, NC

Jan 30, 2016 at 09:50 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Market House Sunrise

I prefer the color. At first I thought the tower was leaning a bit clockwise, but the lower rooflines are level, so perhaps its because the off center sun is causing an illusion.

To get a sharper sun flare, stop down even further and if you take shots up to the point where the sun just winks out, you get the best effect. As it is, you have very good flare control.

At first I thought about a tighter crop, but I like the way that one flare points directly at the lower left corner, any crop should maintain that relationship I think.

I also like how the sun is lighting up the streetlights and some of the building faces, not noticed in the B&W.

Jan 30, 2016 at 10:09 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Market House Sunrise

I'm a mono nut, but as Ben mentioned, the glow of the sun on the surrounding elements is way nicer in the color version.

I might reduce that vignette a bit.

Do you *need* that flagpole? You could tighten up a bit and see how that goes. Food for thought below.

Cheers!

Jeff

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:14 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Market House Sunrise

I almost always prefer color and do for this image. Now that you told us about the clock hands, you will need to shoot another and add the hands to this image.

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:42 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Market House Sunrise

beavens wrote:
I'm a mono nut, but as Ben mentioned, the glow of the sun on the surrounding elements is way nicer in the color version.

I might reduce that vignette a bit.

Do you *need* that flagpole? You could tighten up a bit and see how that goes. Food for thought below.

Cheers!

Jeff

I am not that partial to the weather vane and lightening rod, tried adjusting vignette and cropped as you did to see how it worked and it is good.

Still love my mono

Thanks Jeff

Walt
---------------------------------------------

Camperjim wrote:
I almost always prefer color and do for this image. Now that you told us about the clock hands, you will need to shoot another and add the hands to this image.

My wife prefers the color also, so I am being out voted Yep already have it on the calendar for 11 Nov. to get one with the hands.

Thanks Jim for commenting

Walt

Jan 30, 2016 at 01:23 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Market House Sunrise

You certainly don't need to wait until Nov 11. Just shoot an image with clock hands and work a little Photoshop magic.

Jan 30, 2016 at 01:25 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Market House Sunrise

Camperjim wrote:
You certainly don't need to wait until Nov 11. Just shoot an image with clock hands and work a little Photoshop magic.

+1 @ reshoot clock and resize the circle to fit to match the size of the hands. No need to wait for November.

Jan 30, 2016 at 01:53 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.