Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2016 · Are You going to upgrade to the 1Dx II ? Why?

GoGo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Are You going to upgrade to the 1Dx II ? Why?

Its a simple question for 1Dx users.

Are you going to upgrade to the 1Dx II and if so why are you doing it?

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Jan 30, 2016 at 08:40 AM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Are You going to upgrade to the 1Dx II ? Why?

I'd say no but if the 1dx comes down a bit more I can see that in my future

Jan 30, 2016 at 08:43 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Are You going to upgrade to the 1Dx II ? Why?

No, but that's because the main areas of my photography have veered away from sports and action, towards scenic and performance. If I get back into more sports shooting, then I'd pick up either a second 1DX or a 1DX II, depending.

Jan 30, 2016 at 09:13 AM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Are You going to upgrade to the 1Dx II ? Why?

If the AF points are spread further apart, possibly.

Jan 30, 2016 at 09:39 AM
David Garcia
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Are You going to upgrade to the 1Dx II ? Why?

No. My 1DX suits me just fine. I need a higher Rez body at the moment. Waiting for the 5D 4 and more news on Canon Rumors re: replacement of the sensors on the 5DS/R.

Jan 30, 2016 at 09:45 AM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Are You going to upgrade to the 1Dx II ? Why?

Until Canon actually announces what the specs are on the camera, it seems a little tough for folks to answer that question...

Jan 30, 2016 at 09:55 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Are You going to upgrade to the 1Dx II ? Why?

It's rather unlikely that I will unless the body has substantially improved IQ.
20MP is so 2007.

EBH

Jan 30, 2016 at 10:04 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Are You going to upgrade to the 1Dx II ? Why?

Won't know for sure until I see high ISO RAW's. The spec sheet for the 1DX is already good enough for me. It all comes down to high ISO now. If it's a big improvement then I will think about it. I would have to see something like 12800 become 3200 to really get excited though.

Jan 30, 2016 at 10:39 AM
leewoolery
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Are You going to upgrade to the 1Dx II ? Why?

...too early to tell if I'd buy one considering what Nikon has done with the D5 and D500.

I am mainly a sports/action photographer but also do portraits and the 1Dx is the best camera I ever owned ( and shot with ) but I have taken hundreds of thousands of images with the D4, D3s and D3 and they have served me well over the years.

The 1D Mark IV just never impressed me during my testing period but the 1Dx has allowed me to produce images day after day, on the field/court, in the studio and on-location, with no complaints.

I am still holding on to the bulk of my Nikon gear and will wait and see if I add to my Canon line-up or not.

The 1Dx does everything I require of a camera but ( at least ) 22 megapixels, improved high ISO performance and AF would be enough for me to consider a 1Dx Mark II over a D5.

If the 1DxII is geared more towards video then I wouldn't be interested and would probably wait on a D5 to become available.

Lee

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:24 AM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Are You going to upgrade to the 1Dx II ? Why?

EB-1 wrote:
20MP is so 2007.

EBH

seriously? if you want high mp, get the 5dsr. i'll trade the stupid high MP for faster fps and better dynamic range/higher iso. If the rumor turn out right, 1dx mk ii has Continuous shooting of 14 frames / sec. 16 frames / second in the live view mode.

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:57 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Are You going to upgrade to the 1Dx II ? Why?

Bubble wrote:
seriously? if you want high mp, get the 5dsr. i'll trade the stupid high MP for faster fps and better dynamic range/higher iso. If the rumor turn out right, 1dx mk ii has Continuous shooting of 14 frames / sec. 16 frames / second in the live view mode.

I just want something in between, like 28 MP. That would have the pixel size of the 1D IV.

EBH

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:00 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Are You going to upgrade to the 1Dx II ? Why?

Since (1) No one knows what specs it will have (or even if it exists), (2) No idea of cost, (3) No clue about performance both optically and thru put, I can't see how any intelligent - as opposed to some fantasy mutterings - one can even have an opinion. Just an opinion of course

Robert

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:05 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Are You going to upgrade to the 1Dx II ? Why?

OntheRez wrote:
Since (1) No one knows what specs it will have (or even if it exists), (2) No idea of cost, (3) No clue about performance both optically and thru put, I can't see how any intelligent - as opposed to some fantasy mutterings - one can even have an opinion. Just an opinion of course

Robert

I think we are basing our opinions on the specs and pictures leaked yesterday by digicame-info. Over the past 8 years that I've owned a DSLR, one thing I've found very consistent is that when digicame-info releases specs and pictures a few days before an announcement date (been confirmed by many as Feb 1 (N.A.) Feb 2 (Australia)) that they have been correct every time. Of course there are still aspects about the price and the actual performance like the new AF algorithms that we don't know but then again performance info is almost impossible to know until you actually buy the thing and use it or wait for a bunch of real users on the forum to post their experiences. Of course all the Canon Explorer of Light articles that will be released next week will say it is the best thing in the world.

With that said, based on the specs from yesterday, I am still on the fence. Price will play a big part especially being in Canada and having our dollar so weak. If it is $8000 or more then I will save that money for the 600DO instead.
However, based on the specs the reason I would buy the 1DXII to replace my 1DX is the wider spread of the AF points and that all AF points can be used at f/8. I use a fair amount of f/8 combos (100-400II +1.4TC, 600II +2xTC and 200-400 with two 1.4TCs) so having 61 f/8 points and more importantly the use of all the AF modes like Expansion and Zone with f/8 would be a huge benefit to me.

14FPS is fine, don't really care to much about that. Don't care about 4K and video. 20MPs is okay but I would have liked 24-28 for more cropping. Low ISO DR doesn't matter to me. High ISO DR and Noise does matter and that will be impossible to tell until some non-biased reviews come in. We know the upper limit of ISO hasn't been increased but the expanded limit has so who knows??

Edited on Jan 30, 2016 at 12:31 PM · View previous versions

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:30 PM
bhollis
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Are You going to upgrade to the 1Dx II ? Why?

EB-1 wrote:
I just want something in between, like 28 MP. That would have the pixel size of the 1D IV.

EBH

Well, I suspect that Canon had to choose between high resolution and a high continuous fps (very difficult to deliver both) and opted for the latter in the belief that most of the target audience for the 1DX II would not want to compromise fps (or buffer capacity) in order to gain more than 20MP in resolution.

I expect/hope that the 5D3's replacement will provide a middle ground option between the 1DX II and 5DS/R with a resolution of somewhere around 28 to 32MP, and a burst rate of around 7 to 8 FPS. Maybe that's the camera you'll want. I know it's the one I'm waiting for.

Edited on Jan 30, 2016 at 12:36 PM · View previous versions

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:30 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Are You going to upgrade to the 1Dx II ? Why?

bhollis wrote:
...Conversely, I expect that Canon will cater to the higher resolution/lower fps crowd with the...

5DS/R.

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:32 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Are You going to upgrade to the 1Dx II ? Why?

bhollis wrote:
Well, I suspect that Canon had to choose between high resolution and a high continuous fps (very difficult to deliver both) and opted for the latter in the belief that most of the target audience for the 1DX II would not want to compromise fps (or buffer capacity) in order to gain more than 20MP in resolution.

Conversely, I expect that Canon will cater to the higher resolution/lower fps crowd with the 5D3's replacement. Maybe that's the camera you'll want. I know it's the one I'm waiting for.

If the rumour that the 5DX (unlikely there will be a 5D4) will have 8FPS and maybe around 28MP AND if it got the 61 f/8 points then I'd likely be more interested in that then the 1DX2.

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:35 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Are You going to upgrade to the 1Dx II ? Why?

bhollis wrote:

Conversely, I expect that Canon will cater to the higher resolution/lower fps crowd with the 5D3's replacement. Maybe that's the camera you'll want. I know it's the one I'm waiting for.

I suppose, but it's too late for me this time around. We'll see what is in store for winter 2017-2018. For now I will have to use 5DsRs for everything that needs high IQ and the 1Dx occasionally for acceptable IQ in low light.

EBH

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:37 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Are You going to upgrade to the 1Dx II ? Why?

arbitrage wrote:
If the rumour that the 5DX (unlikely there will be a 5D4) will have 8FPS and maybe around 28MP AND if it got the 61 f/8 points then I'd likely be more interested in that then the 1DX2.

Is there chance of having one by April 15

EBH

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:39 PM
bhollis
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Are You going to upgrade to the 1Dx II ? Why?

jcolwell wrote:
5DS/R.

Actually, I edited my post to reflect that I was alluding to my belief that the 5D3's replacement will likely take a middle ground approach--higher resolution than the 1DX II but lower than the 5DS/R, and with a lower FPS than the 1DX II but higher than the 5DS/R.

I think there's a substantial market for such a middle ground camera. And I'm part of this market segment.

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:41 PM
GoGo
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Are You going to upgrade to the 1Dx II ? Why?

Thank you all, food for thought.

The specs for the new 1Dx II have not yet been announced by Canon but most interested parties seem to know whats coming.

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:47 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.