New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · What the...

Spyro P.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What the...

About 18 months ago I bought two Godox Ving V850 flash units, and I've been using them happily ever since.

The key selling point of these things was the battery, which is this enormous 2000 mAh unit that lasts forever, pretty much like a power pack

https://spyro-p.smugmug.com/photos/i-wBBZxpq/0/X2/i-wBBZxpq-X2.jpg

A couple of months ago I started having trouble getting the battery out of the flash but I didn't think much about it, I thought maybe a spring or a safety might be bent or something. But today I took the battery off the charger and I saw that it was swollen in the middle

https://spyro-p.smugmug.com/photos/i-5nvrHMG/0/XL/i-5nvrHMG-XL.jpg

then I checked the other one, same thing

https://spyro-p.smugmug.com/photos/i-2qSVZpJ/0/XL/i-2qSVZpJ-XL.jpg

I'm obviously getting rid of them first thing tomorrow, and I've already ordered replacements which should be here sometime during the week.

My question is, since I've already been using them in that state for at least two months without noticing, during which time they've performed just fine, should I use them one last time tomorrow? I need to take photos indoors for some work I need to get done around the house, and I really need my flashes... but I don't want anything blowing up in my face either, or inhaling toxic fumes!

Jan 30, 2016 at 06:43 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What the...

A Lithium battery that does that would scare me given some tend to go up in flames and even explode. I would not use it myself.

Jan 30, 2016 at 08:16 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What the...

Won't comment on whether or not you should use them. Rather, I was also interested in buying a bunch of these flashes a while ago, considering their low price and decent specs. But decided against it in part because so many buyer feedback reports on Amazon, etc., complained about the batteries. I don't recall any complaints about swollen batteries, but instead very short lifespans or suddenly no longer working, IIRC.

Maybe it's just a consequence of the price point? Eventually the batteries will fail and need to be replaced. Isn't it the case that many manufacturers claim optimum lithium battery lifespan is only around 2-3 years? That said, I've used laptops and lithium camera batteries well beyond that range.

Jan 30, 2016 at 08:30 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What the...

I googled a little bit and apparently it was a bad batch, Godox has acknowledged and has given identification numbers for later batches that don't have such problems. I'm not changing those flashes, they are excellent.

now, where did I put that motorbike helmet...

Jan 30, 2016 at 08:52 AM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What the...

Makes me wonder what sort of UL quality lab testing is done by the manufacturer on the batteries they provide beyond the number of charges that can be gotten out of them.

Certainly scary.

Jan 30, 2016 at 09:02 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What the...

jancohen wrote:
Makes me wonder what sort of UL quality lab testing is done by the manufacturer

the industry standard one

Jan 30, 2016 at 09:10 AM
gyoung143
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What the...

Same thing happened with the first battery in my Samsung Galaxy S4, when charged it swelled and stopped the phone finishing the boot sequence, it stayed in a boot/re-boot loop. New one under warranty has been ok for 2yrs.

Gerry

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:47 AM
matthewm
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What the...

Do not use swollen batteries. Dispose of them properly and get new batteries. They can explode, leak and corrode. Not a good idea, nor is it particularly safe.

Jan 30, 2016 at 10:09 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What the...

What Matthew said. Swollen Lithium cells are dangerous, especially if you charge them like that.

The result is like what you see on the net with "hoverboards" at the moment. Fast and super hot. If one of these went off while your face was near it I guarantee you'll never be the same. It could actually kill you. I'd think about where those batteries are when you hold your camera up to your eye.

Gordon

Jan 30, 2016 at 10:21 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What the...

ok I got one last hurrah out of the batteries
but I took some precautions

https://spyro-p.smugmug.com/photos/i-qXMJf6q/0/XL/i-qXMJf6q-XL.jpg

now off to recycling they go.

Jan 31, 2016 at 04:06 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.