1       2       3              7      
       9       end

Archive 2016 · Nikon Service Incorrectly saying camera is grey market

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · Nikon Service Incorrectly saying camera is grey market

werds wrote:
I know it may be out of school to state this... but I find it slightly disturbing that Nikon can't seem to get it right here and yet when I register any Tamron USA purchase I make on their online warranty registration page it verifies and tells you right then and there if the product is a validly listed USA product (based on the serial number!) or not I also print a PDF copy of the confirmation page and keep it for my records too.

Sad the same cannot be done by Nikon

Yeah, and then there was the Tamron 150-600 fiasco when Tamron could not admit that there was a problem with the AF when their first copies hit the market.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1278436/0?keyword=tamron#12184026

Feb 03, 2016 at 01:38 PM
akul
• • • • •
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · Nikon Service Incorrectly saying camera is grey market

I hope this is getting resolved. Horrible. I believe Thom Hogan mentioned that he sees grey market being sort of corporation's way to clear inventory and yet, not to provide any service afterwards to cut cost. Really shady business if Nikon is intentionally making grey market available to help their sales. I do not know what basis Thom's comment was from.

Regardless, i can see some justification if they refuse for the warranty repair, but to refuse the repair altogether, while they won't even sell the parts, is borderline criminal. Why is there no class action law suit ? No sure..

Feb 03, 2016 at 02:21 PM
werds
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · Nikon Service Incorrectly saying camera is grey market

Imagemaster wrote:
Yeah, and then there was the Tamron 150-600 fiasco when Tamron could not admit that there was a problem with the AF when their first copies hit the market.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1278436/0?keyword=tamron#12184026

True, I remember that going on. That said I was more pointing out how a smaller 3rd party has managed to create an automated database that can be used for validation.

Feb 03, 2016 at 02:40 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · Nikon Service Incorrectly saying camera is grey market

werds wrote:
That said I was more pointing out how a smaller 3rd party has managed to create an automated database that can be used for validation.

I have yet to see any proof that Nikon does not have a similar database or that they made a mistake using their database to determine that the OP's camera was a grey-market one.

Feb 04, 2016 at 11:31 AM
werds
• •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · Nikon Service Incorrectly saying camera is grey market

Imagemaster wrote:
I have yet to see any proof that Nikon does not have a similar database or that they made a mistake using their database to determine that the OP's camera was a grey-market one.

Is their database consumer facing? And you say you haven't seen that they don't have this type of database, this whole thread reads otherwise. Am I saying they don't have a database of serials that they can access internally? No, but for all intents and purposes what we as customers see does not appear to be a system that has all those various databases integrated in a manner that provides a simple service for the customer that can allay many of the issues being discussed here...

Maybe I am being simple and misunderstanding the thread and it's contents. Maybe Nikon does have a unified database or overlying data retrieval system that does this function, but to me as an outside consumer only able to use the direct comparison information I have - it doesn't look like it and if it exists it most likely is disjointed. Is this all conjecture? Yep... one of the many things that keeps forum threads and forums alive and running

Feb 04, 2016 at 12:05 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · Nikon Service Incorrectly saying camera is grey market

Dang right there is a lot of conjecture. Bottom line is if you are not happy with Nikon policies, don't buy Nikon.

Feb 04, 2016 at 02:49 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · Nikon Service Incorrectly saying camera is grey market

right on, tony, and that's exactly what I will do.

Feb 04, 2016 at 02:54 PM
werds
• •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · Nikon Service Incorrectly saying camera is grey market

Imagemaster wrote:
Dang right there is a lot of conjecture. Bottom line is if you are not happy with Nikon policies, don't buy Nikon.

And that is the saddest part because Nikon makes some good stuff and having had Canon in the past and used their warranty service this kind of stuff worries me as a current Nikon user... not enough to switch back systems but it is a bee in the bonnet so to speak whenever I am weighing purchase decisions!

Feb 04, 2016 at 10:10 PM
Danner
• • •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · Nikon Service Incorrectly saying camera is grey market

I'm sure NPS does a good job for its members. On the consumer side, they probably do have to manage the hordes, as it were.

Feb 04, 2016 at 10:26 PM
Ryukyu
• •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · Nikon Service Incorrectly saying camera is grey market

Manage the hordes?
Strictly speaking about out of warranty repairs, as long as a customer is willing to pay to have a Nikon product repaired, why shouldn't they fix it regardless of where it came from?

Feb 05, 2016 at 12:18 AM
SteveS
• • • •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · Nikon Service Incorrectly saying camera is grey market

mco_970 wrote:
I am not supposed to cut and paste what Nikon sent me back, but they did assure me this issue is being handled by the proper department.

Tom, have you heard anything out of Nikon??

Cheers,
Michelle

Any updates with Nikon contacting you.Tom.

Feb 05, 2016 at 06:47 AM
leewoolery
• • • •
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · Nikon Service Incorrectly saying camera is grey market

werds wrote:
And that is the saddest part because Nikon makes some good stuff and having had Canon in the past and used their warranty service this kind of stuff worries me as a current Nikon user... not enough to switch back systems but it is a bee in the bonnet so to speak whenever I am weighing purchase decisions!

I use both systems and am a member of NPS and CPS and every time I send a higher-end product into Nikon for service, the work order stated "impact damage" and minimum charge on the last repair was $ 449.00.

I have a 70-200 f/2.8 that has been in twice for major mechanical/electrical repairs and a 24-70 f/2.8 that has to go in for the third time because one side of the lens is still soft.

One time, the NPS representative cut the repair bills in half because she stated "you never should have been charged that much" and your lenses and cameras showed no sign of impact damage.

I took that as I would have been charged that much if I wouldn't have asked about it.

They did send me loaners for the entire time my gear was in for service and that is a life-saver.

The problem is that these are professional lenses and they are not abused and things keep going wrong with them and that is not very comforting.

Now Nikon did send me a brand new AFS II 1.4 teleconverter to replace one that had a scratched lens element
( my fault totally ) for a minimal charge but that item has to go back now since it no longer works.

My experiences with Canon products and repairs have been totally the opposite and one that stands out is I sent in a well-used 1D Mark III for a shutter replacement and received a repair estimate but never a payment authorization notice.

The camera came back in a few days, looking brand new with a repaired shutter, the entire rubberized skin on the body had been replaced, some scratched plastic panels and metal body parts were brand new and a statement was included stating "complimentary repair."

That's hard to top.

Feb 05, 2016 at 10:00 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · Nikon Service Incorrectly saying camera is grey market

http://kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm Scroll down to the "Gray Market Returns."

Disclaimer: I'm not an affiliate of KR. I have no links from his website. I do not need $10 to support my growing family.

Feb 05, 2016 at 06:15 PM
macD600

p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · Nikon Service Incorrectly saying camera is grey market

A couple weeks ago I sent in my D600 to Nikon USA and it initially got rejected. Serial number started with 501. Canada according to the number scheme. I sent photos of side of the box containing serial number and D600(U) sticker, also copy of original receipt from Adoroma date Dec 2012. After that they took it.
Do you have any of these to provide them?

Feb 05, 2016 at 06:34 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · Nikon Service Incorrectly saying camera is grey market

anthonysemone wrote:
http://kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm Scroll down to the "Gray Market Returns."

Disclaimer: I'm not an affiliate of KR. I have no links from his website. I do not need $10 to support my growing family.

I've got three wives and seventeen children to support, and I support my growing family through this website, as crazy as it might seem.

Feb 05, 2016 at 08:09 PM
Tom Conte
• • • •
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · Nikon Service Incorrectly saying camera is grey market

Postcript:

KEH could not repair it because they do not have access to the required parts.

Nikon Service did (finally) accept it and estimates $338 to repair it.

Once I get it back, I'll sell it.

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:40 AM
jancohen
• • •
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · Nikon Service Incorrectly saying camera is grey market

Glad to hear Nikon Service finally came to their senses, Tom. As for the guy who dropped it, the right thing to do would be to fully cover the repair, of course, minus the $200(?) he gave you for that.

Good luck with the repair and the ensuing sale.

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:09 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · Nikon Service Incorrectly saying camera is grey market

macD600 wrote:
A couple weeks ago I sent in my D600 to Nikon USA and it initially got rejected. Serial number started with 501. Canada according to the number scheme. I sent photos of side of the box containing serial number and D600(U) sticker, also copy of original receipt from Adoroma date Dec 2012. After that they took it.
Do you have any of these to provide them?

That is so bogus. The serial # didn't change on the camera through this process so Nikon USA knew it was 'legit'. They have a database of all those numbers.
But they first rejected it by default, making you provide additional information that provided no more information than what could be derived from the serial # on the body. Most people do not keep camera boxes, especially for Japanese cameras. Many people would not have kept a 4 year old receipt. Nikon seems to be banking on this in order to reject service.

This is exactly why I would buy a D750, new, for $1299, than an 'official' camera for $2000. Nikon may give you the finger anyway for that official camera if you ever need them. And if you are worried that the camera may need service, then maybe you should shop a different brand where the mfg does not behave like this?

Do Nikons really break that often? And if so, why then buy one?

(This is not directed at macD600, but the process in general)

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:17 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · Nikon Service Incorrectly saying camera is grey market

Desmolicious wrote:
This is exactly why I would buy a D750, new, for $1299, than an 'official' camera for $2000.

What is an 'official' camera?

Do Nikons really break that often? And if so, why then buy one?

Most cameras of any brand break when they are dropped.

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:35 AM
gyoung143
• • •
p.8 #20 · p.8 #20 · Nikon Service Incorrectly saying camera is grey market

Imagemaster wrote:
What is an 'official' camera?

Most cameras of any brand break when they are dropped.

And my D7000 was backfocussing on green dot and af when I bought it, so it went back to Nikon UK via the dealer and was back with me in 8 days, perfect. Where would you be witth grey market!

Gerry

Feb 25, 2016 at 12:43 PM
       9       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

9       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.