end

Archive 2016 · What the hell...$3700 for liability and equipment insurance

m.sommers00
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · What the hell...$3700 for liability and equipment insurance

Harry.C wrote:
Whoops, sorry folks.

I went with Front Row Insurance, as linked above.

[edit]
2 million liability + 40k in gear coverage for $600

Cheers,
Harry C

May I ask why the 2 million liability?

Also looking at having my gear insured as I'm in the mountains and also travel so the risk a bad drop or theft along the way is almost inevitable.

Feb 20, 2016 at 09:15 PM
Harry.C
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · What the hell...$3700 for liability and equipment insurance

m.sommers00 wrote:
May I ask why the 2 million liability?

I'm going to be selling my work in art/craft shows and the standard requirement seems to be 2 million in liability required.

Cheers,
Harry C

Feb 22, 2016 at 09:01 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · What the hell...$3700 for liability and equipment insurance

I photography weddings and do product photography and for that my Hill & Usher policy covers my equipment and provides liability and E&O coverage. The cost of insuring the equipment is a function of its valuation so I do not include equipment that I use at home but only gear that I take on the road. I also remove equipment from coverage that has greatly depreciated as with memory cards and flash gear and power packs etc.

I do underwater photography as a hobby and that equipment I cover with my homeowners policy and a special rider as the Hill & Usher policy only covers equipment that is used to generate income for the business.

If you want coverage only for a specific trip for your gear then I would talk to your agent about a policy for that trip as it will be cheaper than buying a year's coverage when you will only be out of the country for a few weeks.

Mar 07, 2016 at 09:00 PM
Jason Ferber

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · What the hell...$3700 for liability and equipment insurance

mikejl29 wrote:
Give CG&B Group a call. They have a policy specifically for Canadian photographers.
http://www.cgbgroup.com/business_insurance/media.html

+1, these guys are great. Should be under $1000 for what you've listed I think. There is an amazing testimonial on these forums about them too.

EDIT: Found the thread with the testimonial https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1203989/0?keyword=stolen#11476368

Mar 18, 2016 at 08:47 AM
pjheller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · What the hell...$3700 for liability and equipment insurance

Sorry for coming in late here.

Another suggestion for coverage is Taylor &Taylor. See http://www.taylorinsurance.com/

Mar 19, 2016 at 06:18 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · What the hell...$3700 for liability and equipment insurance

I'm paying about $900 a year for $50k all-perils equipment coverage, plus liability and other stuff. It's through the insurance company working with PPOC (Professional Photographers of Canada).

Mar 19, 2016 at 11:42 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · What the hell...$3700 for liability and equipment insurance

Has anyone here ever have to make a claim through Front Row Insurance? Their premiums are very low - makes me wonder what the catch is...

May 04, 2016 at 09:49 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · What the hell...$3700 for liability and equipment insurance

rscheffler wrote:
That's really good. I see Front Row Insurance is new on the Canadian commercial photography insurance scene. I've dealt with CG&B for a long time, but will have to look into this. No real complaints with CG&B (never had to make a claim). But their premium is fairly high and the deductible keeps creeping higher and higher.

Just did the online steps with FRI for a basic online quote and am glad I came across this post... could potentially save me over $1000/year in insurance premiums compared to CG&B...

Just a follow up on my post from some time ago... The FRI online quote wasn't able to work with my desired equipment coverage amount, but they were quick to respond to my email inquiry for a ballpark price, indicating they would have to consult with the insurer for a final quote... But their ballpark was a fair amount less than what I have been paying CG&B recently.

I got in touch with CG&B, whom I have dealt with for a long time, mentioned I might be interested in switching insurance providers and asked about available options. In the end, they reconfigured my policy to match a couple aspects I wanted to change after seeing FRI's and reduced the policy's price to be much more competitive, too...

The policy comes up in a few months and I will have a look at it again. The only area in which CG&B wouldn't compete with FRI, citing the insurer as the reason, is their very high deductible.

Jul 04, 2016 at 08:10 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · What the hell...$3700 for liability and equipment insurance

Well, I'll be calling Front Row tomorrow, we'll see how the claim process goes. My Pentax 28-45mm 645 lens took the brunt of an impact into a rock shelf on Vancouver Island. Now the front of the lens isn't parallel to the rear of the lens

Aug 12, 2016 at 12:48 AM
ryankarr
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · What the hell...$3700 for liability and equipment insurance

Front Row solved it quickly, everything's looking good

Aug 18, 2016 at 11:50 AM
zephoto
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · What the hell...$3700 for liability and equipment insurance

I have $15k of insurance (which is all I need really) through the PPA just by being a member. It is through Lockton Affinity. $250 deduct for most but mine was $500 on a recent claim as I damaged my camera. Claim went through no problem and just got my check cut. Considering it is only $30/mo through PPA and you get other benefits as well and it really was straightforward I'm glad I decided to get this protection. It still sucks but it makes the sting a bit less at least when you have to use it.

I have more than $15k worth of equipment but I rarely have the need to have it ALL out in use in the field at once and that also covers my computer/server/etc at my office in the event of an issue which is also nice piece of mind.

EDIT: I've been a member for 3 years. Figure 36 months x 30 = $1080 already paid for itself.

Oct 18, 2016 at 07:56 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · What the hell...$3700 for liability and equipment insurance

I'm a Canadian citizen who has lived here in the US for a bit over twenty years, but one of the shocks I got early on was just how much cheaper insurance of any sort is here in the US. It just does not compare, and I hate to say it but for liability in Canada and that much gear, it seems pretty decent.

Americans don't understand, often, just how inexpensive many things are (still).

One other consideration is the reputation of the insurance company. Some are very good to deal with when things go wrong while other companies can be a nightmare. I used to sell insurance back in the 90's for a short time. Much like warranties the devil can be in the details and the outlook of the company. I'd do a lot of research on the lower end of the spectrum.

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:38 PM
anormalguy

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · What the hell...$3700 for liability and equipment insurance

If you're classified as a professional then get a professional indemnity insurance.I prefer using EasyCover,it covers professional indemnity and commercial general liability,its affordable than the other one that I have googled and has a great services and reliable advice, if you're interested I'll drop the site: Professional Liability Insurance | EasyCover Canada - https://www.easycover.ca/

May 12, 2017 at 02:24 AM
       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.