Thanks for looking, c&c welcomed.

Stefani 1 by Nick Mitchell, on Flickr

Stefani 2 by Nick Mitchell, on Flickr

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:56 AM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Stefani

I don't know enough to critique but IMO, her shirt is in desperate need of a lint roller

Jan 29, 2016 at 11:23 AM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Stefani

I much prefer the first with her hands about her face and a playful smile. The dark background frames her face nicely whereas she seems washed out in the second with a drab expression.

Jan 29, 2016 at 08:47 PM
film_4ever
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Stefani

Image 1 is definitely better than 2, although the pose looks too contrived. (Her hands on on her face, but for no apparent reason.) You did a good job separating her hair from the background, but the lighting on the left side of her face (RHS of image) is a bit hot. With her wardrobe she looks better against the black backdrop.

I think part of the reason image 1 is more appealing than 2 is that she is looking into the camera in 1. Image 2 I don't like the pose with her left arm away from her body. As mentioned above, all the lint and cat hair on her sweater is a bit distracting. The overall lighting on her face is too even, and the light on the RHS of her face is again a little hot. The bow in her hair is a bit distracting in this image. Without seeing image 1 I wouldn't know what the bow was in image 2.

Overall, nice job. She's a very photogenic model. I hope you get to work together again.

TFS!

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:52 AM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Stefani

I would like to elaborate on my hands comment. I usually do not like hands cropped about the face. But, here, the hands are not cropped. Rather, her entire arms are included except for a little bit of elbow. Often, portrait artists have the back of the hands showing. Here, we see the hands in profile. And, maybe the prettiest hands I have seen on the web. So, they may be contrived, but, for me, they enhance an adorable quality that you captured. I do agree that the light on her left side is a touch hot. On another positive note, it is nice that there are no fly ways across her face. You may not have noticed the lint, but, importantly, her hair looks great in #1: abundant, well managed, and with nice highlights.

Feb 01, 2016 at 01:35 AM
elorablue
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Stefani

Thank you film_4ever and Brev00 for your considerate replies.

I'll include 2 more because I'm ever so brave

Stefani Zoey by Nick Mitchell, on Flickr

Stefani b-w 1 by Nick Mitchell, on Flickr

Feb 01, 2016 at 05:42 PM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Stefani

I am not sure what courage it takes to post the black and white. She looks sensational not just for her inherent qualities but the lighting and conversion are very well done, too. I would normally be distracted by cropped hands but they don't seem to matter too much to me here. Well done. The first suffers from the uneven facial qualities we all have and the lopsided expression does not help, in my opinion. Again, I think I prefer her with a dark background--less stark for her light face. Maybe lower the clarity slider. I am not sure the high level of sharpness is necessary--seeing all the facial pores.

Feb 02, 2016 at 09:41 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Stefani

Tell me about your lighting. Looking at the catchlights, it looks like there are three or four lights, two soft and one or two hard. One of the hard sources looks low and almost on axis with the camera.

To me, all these lights give a confused, flat lighting pattern. I think you are overlighting.

Compare to the simple lighting used here. Numfar used just on main and a reflector fill. I find the softer lighting (the main was pretty close) more flattering. I think you can still get a high fashion look with a simpler lighting pattern.

Feb 02, 2016 at 10:30 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Stefani

I'm not entirely sure you guys appreciate the upside to lint or an exquisite woman wearing a T with some goofy writing on it.

Hiya. Do you mind if I read your shirt?

Feb 02, 2016 at 09:39 PM
calk
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Stefani

nolaguy wrote:
I'm not entirely sure you guys appreciate the upside to lint or an exquisite woman wearing a T with some goofy writing on it.

Hiya. Do you mind if I read your shirt?

Made me slap my knee!

Feb 03, 2016 at 08:47 AM
sigler
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Stefani

The light is too specular for me...I think her skin would benefit from a larger light source. Rob

Feb 04, 2016 at 11:36 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.