Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2016 · Ice light - Chinese version

Littleguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ice light - Chinese version

No info on pricing but has peaked my interest.

http://www.yongnuo-store.com/yongnuo-yn360-led-light-wand-announcement/

Jan 27, 2016 at 05:34 PM
LivLif
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ice light - Chinese version

Very cool. A friend of mine used the ice light regularly. I think it's cool but I couldn't justify the price. This "Chinese" version might be a bit more affordable.

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:45 PM
Blake.Kinder
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ice light - Chinese version

Wholesale is going to be 62$ according to a Yongnuo rep that I know, what retail goes for will probably be 75$-95$.

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:48 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ice light - Chinese version

I hear mid $60s retail on ebay.

I bought a video light last winter with the intention on using it for dusk/night portraits and details.....never came out of the bag.

Jan 28, 2016 at 06:43 PM
thethinkcouch
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ice light - Chinese version

I helped a couple of photographers from Chicago that shot a wedding in Vegas. They used the ICE LIGHT in evening portraits. It came out better than I thought... but I wasn't a fan with the PRICE.

I instead used LED strip lights powered by 18650 cells. Worked well but wasn't a fan of the DIY look.

If this is around $60... i would consider purchasing 2 for cool looking portraits.

//ed

Jan 28, 2016 at 09:58 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ice light - Chinese version

Wonder what the CRI of a $90.00 light will be? Don't imagine it'll be that hot.

Gordon

Jan 29, 2016 at 01:57 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ice light - Chinese version

thethinkcouch wrote:
I helped a couple of photographers from Chicago that shot a wedding in Vegas. They used the ICE LIGHT in evening portraits. It came out better than I thought... but I wasn't a fan with the PRICE.

Typical 'photo tax'. By current standrads these things aren't even very bright/balanced.

Jan 29, 2016 at 09:59 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ice light - Chinese version

flash wrote:

Gordon

yeah.. these are supposed to have built-in bluetooth as well. Can't imagine the quality is good with all the advertised features for that price though they do seem to save some money by not including the battery and the cost of batteries would need to be figured in with your total cost.

brad

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:10 PM
Littleguy
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ice light - Chinese version

If you believe their site - CRI is 95 in a specific mode...

"In Natural 3200K-5500K Color Temp Mode the YN360’s 320 LED lamp beads can be adjusted from 3200K to 5500K as required .

In this mode YongNuo claim a Color Rendering Index of 95 or higher."

But will the price really be $90 ?!?

flash wrote:

Gordon

Jan 29, 2016 at 01:53 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ice light - Chinese version

Littleguy wrote:
If you believe their site - CRI is 95 in a specific mode...

"In Natural 3200K-5500K Color Temp Mode the YN360’s 320 LED lamp beads can be adjusted from 3200K to 5500K as required .

In this mode YongNuo claim a Color Rendering Index of 95 or higher."

But will the price really be $90 ?!?

Ummm. No I really don't (believe their site). But maybe I'll get a pleasant surprise.

I'm not getting one anyway. I already have a knockoff Icelight (the same as the Polaroid Pro+ one but branded differently). It's useful as works as I want it to. I haven't dragged it to a wedding yet but I can see a few spots it would be nice to use. The last few months have all been bright summer weddings and a LED stick hasn't been on the packing list. Next month I have one with a specific request for a couple of sunset shots so I might take it and see what it can do.

If you have a lighting assistant I'm sure it would be more useful but I would have to set up a stand or shoot very close. I'm not sure that'll work for me.

Gordon

Jan 29, 2016 at 04:45 PM
MladenD

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ice light - Chinese version

YN360 is now available for sale at the link in 1st post. I just ordered mine to give it a try.Will post updates when it arrives

Mar 25, 2016 at 05:52 AM
chrisfphotog
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ice light - Chinese version

Thanks for the heads up. Just picked one up, because...GAS

Mar 25, 2016 at 07:38 AM
APANDYA
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ice light - Chinese version

Cool! Would love to hear your thoughts on the it when you have it on hand. Looks like it is currently around $120 retail.

Mar 25, 2016 at 08:21 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ice light - Chinese version

I remember reading about the ice light here a while back and thought it was laughably over priced for what it was and did.

I have used LED floodlights before to great effect. When I was doing underwater work I totally gave up on the ridiculously priced underwater flash guns and went to making up a bar with a couple of LED work lights.
I could not have been happier with the way the thing performed or the advantages over flashes. Cost me under $100 Vs thousands for flash heads, NONE of which was ever anything more than barely tolerable with a lot of big drawbacks.

Recently I bought a 52" LED lightbar for my 4WD. I tested it inside and nearly blinded myself!! The thing is effing bright as! Rated at 240W, in led that's a shipload of lighting power.

I did some test shots with my daughter in the studio and outside and even in bright midday sunshine, the thing could over power the natural light from 6Ft away. Being as long as it was, the lighting was very even.

It certainly didn't have a colour temp dial but it was, when run at the prescribed voltage and the 17A draw, as close to daylight as I could imagine. With a current limiting PWM it may be able to go a bit warmer.

Thing cost me under $100 delivered. It lights up the road VERY effectively for 500+ well and truly and If I ever have need for location hot lighting, I would certainly buy a few of these things rather than something declared a photographic product with the inevitable over the top markup.

You can get these lightbars smaller in size and output which would make them very practical for photo use. Add a LiPo car jumper pack for about $60 like the one I have and there is compact lighting for an hour or 3 for under $120 or less

I know some people won't touch anything not name brand and will find an excuse to rubbish anything other than that, but I enjoy making other things work and I could certainly make one or a few of these things work damn well!

Mar 26, 2016 at 10:16 AM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Ice light - Chinese version

Curious how this Youngnuo ICE light would compare with other Chinese ICE lights that have been selling for ~$100 under different name brands for a long time now and have actually been getting some good reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_0_3?k=mtl-900+ii&sprefix=mtl

Mar 26, 2016 at 11:42 AM
MladenD

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Ice light - Chinese version

I believe Yongnuo model has the best CRI.
https://www.photo-store.net/photography/led-lights/yongnuo-yn360-led-wand/
Yongnuo claims 95% color rendering index which should be great

Mar 26, 2016 at 12:07 PM
RKTodd
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Ice light - Chinese version

cambyses wrote:
Curious how this Youngnuo ICE light would compare with other Chinese ICE lights that have been selling for ~$100 under different name brands for a long time now and have actually been getting some good reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_0_3?k=mtl-900+ii&sprefix=mtl

I have two of the Camera Plus lights, and I'm very impressed with the brightness, the quality of build, and both the daylight and tungsten color. I did some tests last year and found the daylight to be close to 5500, and the tungsten to be very near 3200 (sorry I didn't save those files and test results). I took shots of the Photovision target, brought them into LR, and didn't see any appreciable color bias.

You do have to remove the tungsten sleeve in order to get daylight but for the price, I can handle that.

Mar 26, 2016 at 03:37 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Ice light - Chinese version

would love to hear how well this performs

Mar 26, 2016 at 05:45 PM
LivLif
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Ice light - Chinese version

sherijohnson wrote:
would love to hear how well this performs

Me too! Anxiously waiting...

Mar 26, 2016 at 10:57 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Ice light - Chinese version

I have one of these, under a different name.

http://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-BrightSaber-Professional-Photographers-Videographers/dp/B00WN48QUW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_421_15?ie=UTF8&dpID=21OJS9GF7%2BL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=16C8V29KRR1CYNH93GCV

I also have a genuine IceLight2.

The knock off is a bit bigger. The colour temp is definitely warmer, probably due to the fact the half tungsten sleeve is always on. The brightness is 1/3 of a stop to the knockoff (tested ISO200 @ 1.4 and got 160 for the IceLight2 and 200 for the knockoff at 1.5 meters). the IceLight batteries and charger are better designed and it feels like a better made product.

Generally I prefer the IceLight2 though. the light has a nicer falloff and the diffuser seems to make a nicer quality of light and the cheap one can be a bit inconsistent although not by a huge amount. It's not huge though and I can get pretty good results with either. Generally I reach for the IceLight2 but because the colour is so different I can sometimes get a nicer skin tone with the warmer one, which feels like it has an 1/4 CTO on it.

Gordon

Mar 27, 2016 at 05:33 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.