Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · It looks like 5DsR is humiliating Nikon D810 !

gabimaster
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · It looks like 5DsR is humiliating Nikon D810 !

you should go directly to minute 5.45 , it starts the demonstration from there !

Jan 27, 2016 at 03:40 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · It looks like 5DsR is humiliating Nikon D810 !

Where's the popcorn?

Jan 27, 2016 at 03:42 PM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · It looks like 5DsR is humiliating Nikon D810 !

Oh, oh

JC, you beat me to it.

Jan 27, 2016 at 03:42 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · It looks like 5DsR is humiliating Nikon D810 !

Okay, okay, but isn't leapfrogging the D810 the raison d'être of the NEWER camera?

And then the D900 is released and buyers of the 5Dsr wring their anxious hands.

Again, in the hands of a skilled photographer and post processor...

Jan 27, 2016 at 09:05 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · It looks like 5DsR is humiliating Nikon D810 !

Jan 27, 2016 at 09:07 PM
Thorsten
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · It looks like 5DsR is humiliating Nikon D810 !

Looks like there is some kind of flare in the Nikon shot. That's definitely not a typical image from that camera. The lenses were the same, but the angle was slightly different between them, perhaps that brought a change in the flare.

Jan 27, 2016 at 09:55 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · It looks like 5DsR is humiliating Nikon D810 !

Did not look at the video. I'm pretty certain that presented with otherwise identical 30" x 45" prints from a D810 and a 5Dsr no one could tell which came from which camera.

Edited on Jan 27, 2016 at 10:35 PM · View previous versions

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:10 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · It looks like 5DsR is humiliating Nikon D810 !

gdanmitchell wrote:
Did not look at the video. I'm pretty certain that presents with otherwise identical 30" x 45" prints from a D810 and a 5Dsr no one could tell which came from which camera.

Exactly. I would add in the A7Rii as well. From all the file samples I have seen they all look very close in IQ.

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:22 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · It looks like 5DsR is humiliating Nikon D810 !

D810 is probably the best all-around camera there is, even after a few years.

EBH

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:55 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · It looks like 5DsR is humiliating Nikon D810 !

EB-1 wrote:
D810 is probably the best all-around camera there is, even after a few years.

EBH

Let's hope the 5D IV can get that title even in the face of a potential D900 down the track. To do so it'll need to be a sizeable upgrade in a lot of areas, not that the 5D III is is any way not an excellent camera already, but it can be greatly improved upon.

Jan 27, 2016 at 11:14 PM
verbiage
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · It looks like 5DsR is humiliating Nikon D810 !

What about picture styles? The Nikon images look suspiciously like "Faithful" (probably known under a different moniker in Nikon-land), while Canon's are more like Standard or even something more contrasty.

Jan 27, 2016 at 11:33 PM
Thorsten
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · It looks like 5DsR is humiliating Nikon D810 !

verbiage wrote:
What about picture styles? The Nikon images look suspiciously like "Faithful" (probably known under a different moniker in Nikon-land), while Canon's are more like Standard or even something more contrasty.

I don't think LR reads and applies those for images shot in RAW.

Jan 27, 2016 at 11:55 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · It looks like 5DsR is humiliating Nikon D810 !

Looking at the images I'm pretty sure the difference is very noticeable and would be easily visible on a decent size print.
I was quite surprised how much more detail the 5Dsr was resolving.

Jan 28, 2016 at 12:00 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · It looks like 5DsR is humiliating Nikon D810 !

We'd have to play with the raws to be sure but some of the difference in perceived sharpness appears attributable to the contrastier tone curve that Adobe applies to 5DS/R raws vs previous Canon bodies and Nikon bodies.

Jan 28, 2016 at 12:33 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · It looks like 5DsR is humiliating Nikon D810 !

What Snapsy said.

It may be, I'm not saying it isn't resolving more BUT it would be good to compare them in different RAW converters as well such as C1. Or just let others compare and play with them.

The tone curve of the Canon apparently has got much more contrast.

All in all and in the end of all things it may very well be better with higher resolving power. But isn't that the purpose and higher mp sensors and newer cameras like Paul said? There is a year and a half age difference between these two cameras. That's pretty much even in todays digital world even though it has all slowed down a bit.

Never the less it's always a good thing for us consumers to have options and better options at that

Jan 28, 2016 at 01:11 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · It looks like 5DsR is humiliating Nikon D810 !

Breaking news: Higher resolution sensor results in higher resolution output! And our weather man puts on a chicken costume. More at 11!

It's exactly these sorts of threads and use of language ("Humliating! hahaha!") that helps seed the Brand A vs Brand B silly arguments- instead of letting us engage in real discussions about strengths and weaknesses and what is going to work for each photographer and his or her needs, wants, desires.

Indeed the 5DsR is a 50MP, killer camera. And the D810 is a 36MP, killer camera. And the 5D3 is a 23MP, killer camera...

Jan 28, 2016 at 04:00 AM
eyal.ma
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · It looks like 5DsR is humiliating Nikon D810 !

There are two things I prefer in the D810 that the 5DsR doesn't have.
1. Higher dynamic range
2. Spot metering at focus point.

So each camera has its pros over the other. So I'm not really sure about it humiliating or demolishing anything.

Jan 28, 2016 at 04:12 AM
SoftImage
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · It looks like 5DsR is humiliating Nikon D810 !

snapsy wrote:
We'd have to play with the raws to be sure but some of the difference in perceived sharpness appears attributable to the contrastier tone curve that Adobe applies to 5DS/R raws vs previous Canon bodies and Nikon bodies.

Tone curve doesn't explain how mushy some foliage are in some parts of the image in Nikon compared to Canon.

Jan 28, 2016 at 04:17 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · It looks like 5DsR is humiliating Nikon D810 !

justruss wrote:
Breaking news: Higher resolution sensor results in higher resolution output! And our weather man puts on a chicken costume. More at 11!

It's exactly these sorts of threads and use of language ("Humliating! hahaha!") that helps seed the Brand A vs Brand B silly arguments- instead of letting us engage in real discussions about strengths and weaknesses and what is going to work for each photographer and his or her needs, wants, desires.

Indeed the 5DsR is a 50MP, killer camera. And the D810 is a 36MP, killer camera. And the 5D3 is a 23MP, killer camera...

I'll add that most of the people chiming in will never own either camera...so I just don't see their points.

Jan 28, 2016 at 07:59 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · It looks like 5DsR is humiliating Nikon D810 !

dehowie wrote:
Looking at the images I'm pretty sure the difference is very noticeable and would be easily visible on a decent size print.
I was quite surprised how much more detail the 5Dsr was resolving.

In fact, comparing original files doesn't tell us much at all, since in the real world the Nikon and Canon (and other) photographer will work the image in post to get to roughly the same point – different color balancing, different curves/contrast, different sharpening... but all with a similar target.

As a person who regularly sees and discusses prints made by very good photographers using all of these systems (including the two compared here and many more) I have seen this to be the case over and over. I have had the opportunity not only to discuss the performance of these two (and other) cameras with many who use them, but I have had the opportunity many times to directly compare all sorts of prints of a variety of subjects from all of them, as well.

justruss wrote:

Indeed. And the linear resolution difference between a 36MP, a 42MP, and a 51MP file is much smaller than most folks imagine, and perhaps even less visible until you get to outlier boundary situations – and even there it is miniscule. Any of these cameras will produce excellent resolution and image quality.

Of all the fine reasons to choose one of them over the others — and any of them could be a fine choice — image resolution or "colors" are way, way, down the list.

Dan

Edited on Jan 28, 2016 at 11:36 AM · View previous versions

Jan 28, 2016 at 08:46 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.