FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2016 · Olympus PEN-F released and reviewed

TMaG82
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Olympus PEN-F released and reviewed

If I were to get one of these, it would be strictly a prime only camera, I can't 12-40 or 40-150 being comfortable at all. Heck even the 75 might be uncomfortable.

Jan 28, 2016 at 05:05 PM
gary0319
• •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Olympus PEN-F released and reviewed

TMaG82 wrote:
If I were to get one of these, it would be strictly a prime only camera, I can't 12-40 or 40-150 being comfortable at all. Heck even the 75 might be uncomfortable.

Yup, this would be a street/festival shooter for me. I'd most likely match it with a prime or two, and also my little Panasonic 12-32 & 35-100.

Jan 28, 2016 at 05:22 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Olympus PEN-F released and reviewed

It's a nice looking camera and Oly certainly has nailed the design.

Like the E-P5 was, it's too much money for what it is. Frankly, it's simply not enough better internals over an E-M1 or E-M5II to justify giving up the weather sealing and ergonomics of those cameras, which are also cheaper (especially the E-M5II which I see as the closest body in spec aside from the sensor).

And the GX8 delivers the same sensor with better ergonomics and weather sealing as well (but gives up the sensor-shift multishot mode).

Oly finally has nailed down the camera the high-end PEN should be. But they're pricing it at a point which makes the OM-D's a LOT more attractive. At the same intro price as the E-M5II, this would make a lot more sense.

Jan 28, 2016 at 07:30 PM
camerapapi
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Olympus PEN-F released and reviewed

I wish I know what dictates prices for camera gear. In this particular case my money would go to the OMD-EM1 instead of the Pen F. I think I am getting a better camera but that is me.
Weather sealing is nice to have but I can say that most of my cameras do not have weather sealing and I never had a problem. I do not shoot in the rain without cover and although the humidity in Miami is high in summer there are other places, like the wooden areas of Costa Rica where I have heard the humidity is very high and that it is tough on cameras.
Olympus for the first time is incorporating into the Pen F, a rangefinder camera an optical viewfinder and I am sure that is a welcome feature. A cropped sensor similar to those in dSLR or Sony cameras would be a welcome addition.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Jan 28, 2016 at 08:26 PM
savingspaces
• • • •
[X]
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Olympus PEN-F released and reviewed

TMaG82 wrote:

The camera was designed with street shooters in mind.

Jan 28, 2016 at 09:35 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Olympus PEN-F released and reviewed

I think either the Olympus 12/2 or 17/1.8 prime lens would look really handsome on the Pen-F. Sure, it's not as good as the Sony RX1R II ... but it won't cost you $3,300 and it's still a very capable camera with retro good looks!

Jan 28, 2016 at 09:49 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Olympus PEN-F released and reviewed

savingspaces wrote:
The camera was designed with street shooters in mind.

One can't be a "street" shooter with a 12-40 ? Its a sharp lens, focuses fast, has a versatile range of focal lengths.... I mean sure, maybe Eric K and his tight jeans wearing friends might ignore you if your out using it, but as far as images goes.. I think its a quality optic that delivers.

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:08 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Olympus PEN-F released and reviewed

The 12-40 is a great lens but it's on the large side. The Panasonic 12-35 is quite a bit smaller, and almost just as good.

millsart wrote:
One can't be a "street" shooter with a 12-40 ? Its a sharp lens, focuses fast, has a versatile range of focal lengths.... I mean sure, maybe Eric K and his tight jeans wearing friends might ignore you if your out using it, but as far as images goes.. I think its a quality optic that delivers.

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:19 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Olympus PEN-F released and reviewed

Semi-interesting video preview. About 7 minutes in though he compares it to the E-M1 sensor, side by side mounted on a monopod (I believe). He says the E-M1 is as sharp, or even sharper in the details thanks to no AA filter (why did they put an AA filter on the Pen-F?) even though the Pen-F has got some more resolution. He also says the Pen-F holds more details in the shadows. The test is highly un-scientific.
I hope/assume he used the same JPEG settings for the test, same sharpening etc.

Jan 29, 2016 at 01:04 AM
savingspaces
• • • •
[X]
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Olympus PEN-F released and reviewed

millsart wrote:

I never said anywhere to use this with the 12-40 - I meant that it would best used with small primes.

Jan 29, 2016 at 01:36 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Olympus PEN-F released and reviewed

mawz wrote:
It's a nice looking camera and Oly certainly has nailed the design.

Like the E-P5 was, it's too much money for what it is. Frankly, it's simply not enough better internals over an E-M1 or E-M5II to justify giving up the weather sealing and ergonomics of those cameras, which are also cheaper (especially the E-M5II which I see as the closest body in spec aside from the sensor).

And the GX8 delivers the same sensor with better ergonomics and weather sealing as well (but gives up the sensor-shift multishot mode).

Oly finally has nailed down the camera the high-end PEN should be.
...Show more

I'm thinking that possibly Olympus might've realized that this might not move in massive quantities and so they decided to price it high, get the early adopter money, then gradually lower the price or move additional bodies through their refurbished channels. Similar thing happened to the E-P5, it was released high. Sold but not in massive numbers probably. Soon became available through their refurb store for a substantial savings but still held its high price relatively slow. Heck even new on B&H, the E-P5 with EVF and lens still are $1,200 last time I checked, only $250 off of release price for a 2+ year old camera.

Or maybe they're releasing it at $1,199 so when the E-M1 Mark 2 is released they can price it at $1,499-1,699 and point to the Pen-F as a more affordable option.

Jan 29, 2016 at 06:33 AM
Big Cheese
• •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Olympus PEN-F released and reviewed

I'm guessing Olympus doesnt expect or need to have all their cameras as big sellers. Rather it's a case of having a range covering different price points. Much of the internals (sensor, processor, shutter, etc) will be largely the same as other Oly cameras. But wrap it in a different skin with a few different controls and they now have a premium Pen filling a slightly different niche. It's a bit like cars. You can use the same guts to have a budget, mid tier and premium model. The premium model may not sell much but it doesn't cost that much extra to make and you end up selling a few extra units to customers you might otherwise miss.

Jan 29, 2016 at 07:11 AM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Olympus PEN-F released and reviewed

Manual:

http://www.43rumors.com/pen-f-manual-for-download-first-full-size-image-samples/

Jan 30, 2016 at 05:40 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Olympus PEN-F released and reviewed

Interesting review by The Camera Store (also has a sneak peak at the new 300mm f/4)

https://youtu.be/WqmMrp-pVp4

Apparently the AF-C mode is not good.

Feb 11, 2016 at 09:11 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.