New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Zion Gold

cruscher
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Zion Gold

Thanks Greg, now that you point that out I totally see it.

Thanks newhaven I did go a little far with the magenta.

Hmmmm Antipode I had not thought of stretching only a part of the photo. Interesting idea I find myself bouncing the idea back and forth between the "artist/painter" and the more "strict side/photographer". I own, love and converse with both of these aspects of myself.

The painter says if you were to paint this, the wider steam has a good feeling to it. The photo is only approximates reality as the fact that it is stitched with a quite wide view and then distortion corrected.

And of course the photographer says you have never done such a thing to a photo only stretching one quarter of a photo. Correction for lens distortion and stitching issues is OK because your trying to get back to "reality".

I don't know if my emotion comes thru with either of the statements above, but thanks Antipode for posing this quandary within myself.

I would love to hear others thoughts regarding the painter verses the photographer. Either about this photo or in general.

Thanks everyone,

Feb 04, 2016 at 02:59 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Zion Gold

It's all about the photographer's intent and what message he/she wants to impress upon the viewer!

As long as you aren't shooting photojournalism then you pretty much have creative license to do whatever you damn well please IMO. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but PJ is mostly crop, WB, +/- contrast and MAYBE a little sharpening.

With that being said, personally I'm not a fan of adding to an image such as swapping skies or adding clouds/rainbows/unicorns etc. But I'm all for removing distractions by cloning.

With THAT being said, I am admittedly no good at landscapes so grain of salt and all that.

Jeff

Feb 04, 2016 at 04:24 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Zion Gold

beavens wrote:
As long as you aren't shooting photojournalism then you pretty much have creative license to do whatever you damn well please IMO. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but PJ is mostly crop, WB, +/- contrast and MAYBE a little sharpening.

Reasonable dodging and burning, I believe, are also permissible, perhaps because of historical reasons.

Feb 04, 2016 at 04:32 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Zion Gold

cruscher wrote:
Hmmmm Antipode I had not thought of stretching only a part of the photo. Interesting idea I find myself bouncing the idea back and forth between the "artist/painter" and the more "strict side/photographer". I own, love and converse with both of these aspects of myself.

Once you consider stretching the whole frame to change the aspect ratio, it raise the question, which is taking more artistic license, stretching all the frame or stretching just part of the frame?

Feb 04, 2016 at 04:35 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Zion Gold

i like the composition quite a bit. if it were mine, i would lower the brightness down a tad (everyone is all about shadow details now a days, but i like some "mystery") and tune down the cyan/blue in the water.

Feb 09, 2016 at 01:40 PM
       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.