Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Death Valley Wildflowers Getting An Early Start!

matthewsaville
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Death Valley Wildflowers Getting An Early Start!

Visited Death Valley ~5 days ago and this is what I found, based on tips from the official DV Facebook pages.

The Desert Gold and Sand Verbena, among others, are getting ready for a decent bloom this year, although possibly an early year. (Look at Photo #5, however, for confirmation that the "peak" is certainly not yet here.)

I really, STRONGLY beg folks to be courteous to mother nature and other photographers of course, when "romping" through these beautiful beds. Tread carefully, try and leave as little trace (footprints / tripod prints) as possible. This phenomenon is fleeting and delicate, yet abundant and spread out over a huge area spanning the whole South of the park, and will probably soon include the entire park if you know where to look.

Good luck out there!

Jan 26, 2016 at 06:27 PM
aFeinberg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Death Valley Wildflowers Getting An Early Start!

Wow that's wicked early! Nice 1 and 2 are lovely.

aF

Jan 26, 2016 at 07:03 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Death Valley Wildflowers Getting An Early Start!

Might be from the huge storm they had in October. They're even still cleaning up some of the roads that washed away.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/opinion/columns-blogs/trip-the-week/death-valley-recovering-flooding

Jan 26, 2016 at 07:13 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Death Valley Wildflowers Getting An Early Start!

Sweet! Hope it stays for a few more weeks as I'm headed there.

Thanks for posting

Dan

Jan 26, 2016 at 07:40 PM
kurt765
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Death Valley Wildflowers Getting An Early Start!

snapsy wrote:
Might be from the huge storm they had in October. They're even still cleaning up some of the roads that washed away.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/opinion/columns-blogs/trip-the-week/death-valley-recovering-flooding

What the Rangers will tell you is that the key to wildflowers in Death Valley is a steady rate of rain once a month. That's what brings out the most spectacular displays, and that's exactly what DV has been getting. The October storm was massive and started things off but without additional water once a month the flowers dry out and fizzle before they can get to be really spectacular. DV has received roughly one bit of rainfall each month since then and seems like it may continue through the winter.

Great shots Matt. Things really look like they are already starting to kick into high gear there indeed!

Jan 26, 2016 at 07:46 PM
dalongfellow
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Death Valley Wildflowers Getting An Early Start!

Thanks for posting. Good to see the expanses of wildflowers in bloom.

Dave

Jan 26, 2016 at 08:03 PM
matthewsaville
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Death Valley Wildflowers Getting An Early Start!

kurt765 wrote:
What the Rangers will tell you is that the key to wildflowers in Death Valley is a steady rate of rain once a month. That's what brings out the most spectacular displays, and that's exactly what DV has been getting. The October storm was massive and started things off but without additional water once a month the flowers dry out and fizzle before they can get to be really spectacular. DV has received roughly one bit of rainfall each month since then and seems like it may continue through the winter.

Great shots Matt. Things really look like they are already
...Show more

Oh by the way, I forgot to mention, when I was there, it had clearly rained recently, there were puddles everywhere on the sides of the roads, from Barstow to Baker and up into the park.

And again, based on the buds I saw, (photo #5 here) I'd say the blooms are only getting started. Anyone planning to go in a few weeks is in for a real treat.

Jan 26, 2016 at 08:41 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Death Valley Wildflowers Getting An Early Start!

very nice set! makes me think about heading out there soon

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:07 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Death Valley Wildflowers Getting An Early Start!

That's wonderful. I gotta get there soon!

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:22 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Death Valley Wildflowers Getting An Early Start!

Nice report and images. Heading there next week.

Jan 27, 2016 at 11:35 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Death Valley Wildflowers Getting An Early Start!

Hey Matt,

That is a lot of wild flowers here. #2 is my favorite and really stands out.

Jim

Jan 27, 2016 at 01:36 PM
FullHousePhoto
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Death Valley Wildflowers Getting An Early Start!

Wow! That is early! I've been there for a few good blooms in past years... the best for blooms was back in '05, but it was also the worst for tourists. Along Henderson Rd one could hardly find parking, and there seemed to be more people than flowers traipsing in the field... very sad to see most people just walking carelessly wherever they wanted. Nice shots, they make we want to make the time to go back... Do you think they will hold out until Pres. Day?

Jan 28, 2016 at 11:54 PM
matthewsaville
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Death Valley Wildflowers Getting An Early Start!

FullHousePhoto wrote:
Wow! That is early! I've been there for a few good blooms in past years... the best for blooms was back in '05, but it was also the worst for tourists. Along Henderson Rd one could hardly find parking, and there seemed to be more people than flowers traipsing in the field... very sad to see most people just walking carelessly wherever they wanted. Nice shots, they make we want to make the time to go back... Do you think they will hold out until Pres. Day?

Probably will hold out quite a while, however then again there is a rather long cold period coming up, with temps in the 20's and teens for at least a week. Dunno what that could do to the current crop of flowers.

The "good" thing about this year is that Jubilee pass is closed, and will probably be for quite a while, so the whole stretch of Badwater Road south of Badwater itself is a bit less trafficked. We'll see how crazy it gets.

Jan 29, 2016 at 01:17 AM
FullHousePhoto
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Death Valley Wildflowers Getting An Early Start!

Good point about the cold spell coming up. I'm actually looking forward to it, and hoping we get some more local snow. And, I must apologize, I was mistaken. I didn't read your post carefully enough, mainly looked at the pics, and I thought you were out at Anza Borrego... I've actually never been to DV for flower season, although I would really love to do that someday.

Jan 29, 2016 at 01:28 AM
matthewsaville
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Death Valley Wildflowers Getting An Early Start!

Here are a couple more; enjoy!

UPDATE: Unfortunately the rains yesterday have caused Badwater Road to be closed south of Badwater Basin, just in case you were hoping to visit this particular stretch of flowers. I hope they clear the road in the next week or so!

Feb 01, 2016 at 02:06 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Death Valley Wildflowers Getting An Early Start!

Matt,

Thanks for the images. Nos. 1 and 2 of the first set and No. 1 of the second set are my favs.

Maji

Feb 01, 2016 at 04:55 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.