FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Golden Light at Rialto

JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Golden Light at Rialto

This is from last October at Rialto Beach in the Olympic National Park. The actual sunset didn't get much color but just before the sun dipped below the horizon there was a nice spray of gold.

All comments are welcome.

Jim

Jan 26, 2016 at 06:20 PM
matthewsaville
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Golden Light at Rialto

Gorgeously done, Jim, and IMO more natural and less HDR-y in the "crunch-factor" than some of your other images; I really like it this way. Looks like it was a beautiful golden sunset to witness, even if it wasn't off-the-hook with purples and whatnot!

Jan 26, 2016 at 07:12 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Golden Light at Rialto

matthewsaville wrote:
Gorgeously done, Jim, and IMO more natural and less HDR-y in the "crunch-factor" than some of your other images; I really like it this way. Looks like it was a beautiful golden sunset to witness, even if it wasn't off-the-hook with purples and whatnot!

Hey Matt,

I am glad you like this one better. I have never used HDR ever in processing, so I don't know how this one can look less of something I have never done. But, I am glad that you like the look of this better.

Jim

Jan 26, 2016 at 08:24 PM
JtJt
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Golden Light at Rialto

Well captured light Jim, really like the gold on the large rock and on the sand.

Regards, Tom

Jan 26, 2016 at 08:27 PM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Golden Light at Rialto

Absolutely beautiful photo Jim! You were treated to some amazing light there. Nice work.

JimFox wrote:
I am glad you like this one better. I have never used HDR ever in processing, so I don't know how this one can look less of something I have never done. But, I am glad that you like the look of this better.

That's funny, I was doing an art fair last summer and someone said to me "I hove all your HDR photography". Lol, there was literally only one photo that I had hanging in my tent that was HDR. It's one that nobody suspects because all I did was blend in a tree that was blooming down in the shadows.

Not as bad as the kid that walked in to the gallery last weekend and told me "photography isn't an art because anyone with an iphone can do this". I didn't even know what to say to that...

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:55 AM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Golden Light at Rialto

Fantastic Jim. Like it a lot.

I think that a lot of folks assume it is HDR if the shadows are lifted any at all. They are used to "old fashioned" photographs that would ordinarily send those shadows to the black regions. They just don't know how good those Nikon sensors are.....

I really like how the shadow areas are dark, but you can still see the detail. To me that is much more realistic of what we would see with our eyes at that time of day. And the golden light is really nice. You worked the light well to keep it from getting totally blown out.

Jan 27, 2016 at 11:07 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Golden Light at Rialto

Gorgeous image Jim. I like the darkness in the photo as it gives a sense of that time of day.

Maji

Jan 27, 2016 at 02:00 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Golden Light at Rialto

Brad Williams wrote:
Absolutely beautiful photo Jim! You were treated to some amazing light there. Nice work.

That's funny, I was doing an art fair last summer and someone said to me "I hove all your HDR photography". Lol, there was literally only one photo that I had hanging in my tent that was HDR. It's one that nobody suspects because all I did was blend in a tree that was blooming down in the shadows.

Not as bad as the kid that walked in to the gallery last weekend and told me "photography isn't an art because anyone with an iphone can do
...Show more

Thanks Brad! I am glad you like this one.

Now that is funny about those comments made to you, but also sad. The idea that a photo can be taken by simply the push of a button without any skill, ability or giftedness in the art of photography is sure seeming to take away from the uniqueness of our art. So yeah, I am not sure how I would answer that either.

Well, I guess we better just enjoy the ability we currently have to actually control the capture of a scene, before our DSLR's are dumbed down to a single button and both Photoshop and Lightroom become obsolete!

Jim

Jan 27, 2016 at 02:02 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Golden Light at Rialto

Jim,
Great capture. It's well-balanced with a great sunset feel. Post-processing looks very natural and would make a very nice print.
Best,
Fred

Jan 27, 2016 at 02:12 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Golden Light at Rialto

I like this one. Beautiful golden light in a beautiful location.

I think saying something looks HDR is now just about a certain look and no longer about the actual treatment of HDR. I see a lot of images that were likely a single exp edited with photoshop and layer masks etc. that have a certain look to them. People might call it HDR but its just a look from certain processing methods. Since HDR became popular it seems all editing has changed a bit along with the better DR of the cameras. The cameras are getting much better and people are getting better at editing with that combo there is purists who like to complain. I am just wondering how these purists will feel when in 10 years the cameras improve another 3-5 stops.

Jan 27, 2016 at 02:39 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Golden Light at Rialto

Beautifully done and I concur on the light handed post work.

Jan 27, 2016 at 02:53 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Golden Light at Rialto

JimKied wrote:
Fantastic Jim. Like it a lot.

I think that a lot of folks assume it is HDR if the shadows are lifted any at all. They are used to "old fashioned" photographs that would ordinarily send those shadows to the black regions. They just don't know how good those Nikon sensors are.....

I really like how the shadow areas are dark, but you can still see the detail. To me that is much more realistic of what we would see with our eyes at that time of day. And the golden light is really nice. You worked the light well
...Show more

Thanks Jim! I am glad you liked it.

You could be right on that. I am typically trying to portray what I am actually seeing, not trying to emulate the limited DR of film. Hopefully people will enjoy my art regardless, as each piece is a work of art, and has it's own vision when I process it.

Jim

Jan 28, 2016 at 01:53 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Golden Light at Rialto

Brad Williams wrote:

Not as bad as the kid that walked in to the gallery last weekend and told me "photography isn't an art because anyone with an iphone can do
...Show more

Jim,

Love the golden look. No HDR perceived here!

Brad, but I would have said "you go guy, show me what you got!"

Dan

Jan 28, 2016 at 04:48 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Golden Light at Rialto

Wonderful shot from one of my favorite WA locations! Nice job. Looks exactly the same on my iPhone and all my monitors... It looks good.

Jan 28, 2016 at 05:04 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Golden Light at Rialto

Great shot Jim. Great composition, light and clouds.
Harsha

Jan 28, 2016 at 07:41 PM
DougDolde
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Golden Light at Rialto

Sweet !

Jan 28, 2016 at 09:06 PM
ScaryFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Golden Light at Rialto

Yes, that is one hell of a nice image!

Jan 29, 2016 at 03:36 PM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Golden Light at Rialto

Great image Jim!

Jan 29, 2016 at 03:39 PM
Cheryle Sytsma
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Golden Light at Rialto

Very nice...
Large pic seems to show a "moody" look...
(Hope this is a correct term?)

Jan 29, 2016 at 06:02 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.