Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Military Portrait: Dan (1 added)

Evan Baines
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Military Portrait: Dan (1 added)

I still haven't gotten back the B&W rolls which comprised the bulk of this session, but I thought that this Portra 160 shot was a fine portrait of a man I admire.

http://www.bainesphoto.com/webpost/dan-001.jpg

EDIT:
Got B&W film back. This is a much better portrait. Acros 100.
http://www.bainesphoto.com/webpost/dan-1.jpg

More details on the series at: http://www.evanbaines.com/militaryportraits/

And a setup shot for the technically inclined:
http://www.bainesphoto.com/webpost/dansetup.jpg

64" Paul Buff Soft Silver PLM camera left feathered on the BG and subject, Wescott X Drop white backdrop as my large bounce fill. Hasselblad 500C/M w/ 150c Sonnar

A bit on the reasoning: I wanted something earnest. I felt like adding a lot of different lights and getting fancy would not fit his personality at all. He's a complex guy, but not in any way artificial. So I opted for a one-light setup and put the light higher and farther to get more depth of light (see: inverse square law), but then feathered it just a hint.

Edited on Jan 31, 2016 at 10:00 PM · View previous versions

Jan 25, 2016 at 06:37 PM
plsand
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Military Portrait: Dan (1 added)

Hi -
First - Thanks for the setup shot -
Second - I think you did a great job - Very nice -
Paul

Jan 26, 2016 at 08:34 AM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Military Portrait: Dan (1 added)

For my taste the lighting is slightly hot on his skin. I think the far off lighting makes this image slightly flat and lacking the depth you usually have in your images. The fill seems to be doing fine with bringing in the details from his left side, but the nose, eyebrows and chin shadows are still too prominent. I would prefer more fill on the shadows mentioned, but less on his left side.

Jan 26, 2016 at 09:58 AM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Military Portrait: Dan (1 added)

Thank you! I appreciate the feedback.

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:11 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Military Portrait: Dan (1 added)

Hi Evan,

Nice portrait and my nits would be the key light is a bit high for someone with that pronounced of a brow. I tend to prefer softer light so take this with that in mind. I would say lower the key light down so its not coming from so high and I would really bring it in a lot closer to get a softer quality. You would also avoid the harsh shadow on his collar. The light is just a touch harsh in my opinion but keep in mind when i use studio strobe ofr ass single I usually with use a 30X40 soft box just out of camera feathered and large white reflector for fill.

The thing I really like about this and your other portraits are how straight forward and honest it is.

I really think you are doing some of more interesting portrait work on FM.

Just wanted to add this Evan.

The harder light does help define his chiseled features which do play into the military look. As I said I tend to like a softer light but thats a personal preference and that may or may not be what your intent.

Edited on Jan 26, 2016 at 12:04 PM · View previous versions

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:34 AM
film_4ever
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Military Portrait: Dan (1 added)

You got some good feedback on the lighting already. My only additional comment is the skin tones look a bit weird. Maybe just because the lighting is a bit hot. I would suggest trying to lighten the shadows under his brow in post (if possible).

I think you captured a great facial expression from a "military man".

How are you doing your scans? Nikon 8000 or 9000?

TFS.

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:52 AM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Military Portrait: Dan (1 added)

Thanks guys.

film: The scan is a noritsu scan from my lab. Most things I want printed from B&W I have darkroom prints made, or occasionally get an imacon scan if I need to retouch and then print with DSI.

Added one.

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:02 PM
PhilF
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Military Portrait: Dan (1 added)

A bit over exposed. and the the light is a bit high creating a lot of shadows in his eye sockets.

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:09 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Military Portrait: Dan (1 added)

B&W in my opinion Evan....

When you print it hold the eye sockets back (dodge) about a 1/2 stop or so and your there,

Nice portrait....

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:17 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Military Portrait: Dan (1 added)

Great compositions Evan! The Major has quite a military background, as yourself, showing on his dress blues.
Great work...Glad you missed the blizzard of 2016 in Rockville/Maryland.
Hope all is well with studies, internships and life.
Dan

Feb 02, 2016 at 09:15 AM
zalmyb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Military Portrait: Dan (1 added)

it's hard to know if it's a good portrait without knowing him... but overall they look good. I love the color in the first, but overall the pose is better in the BW. I don't know much about lighting, but for some reasons the brighter ear is bothering me

Feb 04, 2016 at 03:12 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.