New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Old and (re)new

Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Old and (re)new

Recently we had the opportunity to visit friends in a small, rural town in southern Germany where we lived 1977-80. I was taken by the mix of old (no discernible change) and new, or renewed. The first image reflects as I recall from our original stay, the others more recent improvements there and in Schwäbisch-Gmünd, the largest nearby town/city.

In general the two most noticeable changes are (1) roundabouts everywhere, and (2) prolific wind turbine farms, especially west of the Rhine. Roundabouts facilitate traffic and greatly reduce opportunities to have fun on rural roads; turbine farms pop-up and I was told local citizens have no effective recourse to prevent them, only to endure the accompanying noise. But I ramble...

Thanks for looking,

Bob

Think I finally mastered editing this page

Exterior shell constructed for national flower festival, held in 2015.

Installation art

Installation Art

Jan 25, 2016 at 01:05 PM
Dougo
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Old and (re)new

Terrific set Bob, I agree about the wind farms, on a scale of 1 to 100 for cost effectiveness, I think they are running at about minus 300, as well as being noisy they are just plain ugly, rant over

Cheers Ray

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:57 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Old and (re)new

Bob,

Interesting combination/interaction of architecture! I could do without the pegboard structure

Dan

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:44 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Old and (re)new

Dougo wrote:
Terrific set Bob, I agree about the wind farms, on a scale of 1 to 100 for cost effectiveness, I think they are running at about minus 300, as well as being noisy they are just plain ugly, rant over

Cheers Ray

Thanks Ray,

Apparently the tax incentives are very high. During my earlier stay, when flying in a helicopter we were always on the lookout for 'fast movers - low leveling jets' and 'wires' - power lines, which are everywhere. The turbine farms exponentially add opportunities for helicopter collisions. I was told the tip of the blade is 140m above ground, the mast itself 60m in height. Transporting the blades is difficult given the tight turns on many rural roads so if I understood correctly, they are positioned vertically on the transport in some situations..

Seems the eternal battle of old versus new. A house I photographed back then, with livestock kept in an immediately adjoining building, remains exactly as I remember, except the house roof is covered with solar panels!

Best,

Bob

---------------------------------------------

dswiger wrote:
Bob,

Interesting combination/interaction of architecture! I could do without the pegboard structure

Dan

Thanks Dan,

My thoughts also, certainly incongruous for the surroundings, but they seem to enjoy it, as a conversation item at the least.

Best,

Bob

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:20 AM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.