New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · In-camera color fine, computer raw not fine

Bartlett Pair
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · In-camera color fine, computer raw not fine

99% of my colors are fine, but sometimes a few select colors become completely desaturated. In this case, pink is turning gray. I've seen this happen sporadically, but this is the most extreme example. It's appearing in both Photoshop CS6 & Lightroom CS6. Any ideas?

http://s22.postimg.org/r14no44n5/1_Back_Of_Camera.png

http://s17.postimg.org/une5hsm9r/2_Raw.png

http://s30.postimg.org/3sg0f13u9/3_extreme_warm_WB.png

Jan 24, 2016 at 05:02 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · In-camera color fine, computer raw not fine

Looks like they are maybe out of gamut. I see an AbobeRGB profile at the bottom? What are you using for raw processing, Canon DPP? Have you tried raw processing with another app?

Brian A

Jan 24, 2016 at 05:08 PM
Bartlett Pair
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · In-camera color fine, computer raw not fine

Thanks for the quick reply! We always just load directly into Lightroom CS6, and this is showing on the Develop module. How can I figure out what's being used for raw processing?

Jan 24, 2016 at 05:17 PM
AnnJS
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · In-camera color fine, computer raw not fine

The problem stems from the colour temperature of your light source and the way that you set the WB in your camera. If you were using Flash, that would account for the distinctly Blue cast in your results.

Your first task is to choose an appropriate Camera Profile (in Lr or ACR); and then adjust the White Balance sliders to give you the colour balance that you want.

This assumes that your monitor has been correctly calibrated and profiled.

Jan 24, 2016 at 06:38 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · In-camera color fine, computer raw not fine

Do you have anywhere you can post the raw? It is going to be a lot easier than anything else. I have PM'd with an email address, if that works better for you.

Brian A

Jan 24, 2016 at 08:01 PM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · In-camera color fine, computer raw not fine

I could be wrong, but here goes. The image on the camera LCD is an in-camera jpeg so it has been processed. Your rRAW imported onto your computer has no processing at all. Fiddle around with the sliders a bit and see what happens. For example increase saturation slightly.
I have a 6D and I find most of my raw images require some increase in saturation. This is not a camera fault, it is inherent in the use of RAW.

Jan 26, 2016 at 07:59 AM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · In-camera color fine, computer raw not fine

I looked at the raw image in Lightroom 4.4, Lightroom 5.7 and in Photoshop CS6 via the latest version of ACR. I never got the desaturation problem. I tried lots sliders and settings that could have been used to create a preset, still no desaturation problem.

Difficult to say what could be causing it.

Brian A

Jan 26, 2016 at 06:38 PM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · In-camera color fine, computer raw not fine

When Adobe messes up the colours I go to DPP or Capture One or DXO Optics Pro. You can probably fix it in Adobe Camera Raw as well, but I cannot be bothered. The other raw converters works much better, right out of the box, in these scenarios.

Jan 27, 2016 at 04:38 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · In-camera color fine, computer raw not fine

Try using the sRGB profile instead of AdobeRGB

I thin this is because your monitor isn't calibrated to show AdobeRGB and the embedded jpeg looks fine on the back of the camera.

Easily corrected

Jan 27, 2016 at 04:55 AM
Mike Veltri
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · In-camera color fine, computer raw not fine

Under the camera tab, are lightroom and adobe camera raw set to the same calibration as the camera? Like Camera standard?

Also, I personally would be changing that profile to 16 bit from 8 bit in Adobe Camera Raw.

Jan 27, 2016 at 06:11 AM
Abuttolph
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · In-camera color fine, computer raw not fine

I believe that Ferrophot hit the nail on the head. When you look at the image on the back of the camera, it will look more saturated because your camera makes adjustments to the jpg image that it uses for displaying images. The RAW file has no adjustments when it comes out of the camera, so it will look more bland than what you saw on the back of the camera body. And, as Mike Veltri above said, make sure that you are using the same camera calibration in LR and/or ACR as the camera.

It takes a little more work to get the image to look good from the unmodified RAW file, but you have a lot more latitude for adjustments. If it is just saturation, that is an easy fix.

Good luck.

Jan 27, 2016 at 06:19 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.