Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Anyone built a super better beamer?

jancohen
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone built a super better beamer?

I use a Metz 52 AF-1, which isn't compatible with any of the Better Beamer models. Looking for recommendations as far as the fresnel is concerned, rather than just guessing at it on Amazon.

TIA!

Jan 23, 2016 at 09:46 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone built a super better beamer?

Did you measure the height of the flash head and then contact Visual Echoes?
The flash head width doesn't matter much as the arms are somewhat flexible.

EBH

Jan 24, 2016 at 12:13 AM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone built a super better beamer?

Thanks, E, already thought of that.

I haven't contacted them yet, but I did come across a comment that they don't make a version compatible with the AF-1. I'll firm that up tomorrow, as I now have their contact info:

Visual Echoes
749 South Old Rand Road
Lake Zurich, IL 60047
Phone: (847) 438-3587

They don't appear to currently maintain much of an online presence for the company itself, but I could be mistaken.

In any event, I'm still very much interested in the DIY approach. I've found plenty of sites that detail it, but no recommendations for the fresnel other than cutting up one of the generic versions used to read printed matter with. I might just do that anyway as the fresnels are inexpensive (under than $10).

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:31 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone built a super better beamer?

The fresnel lens would be the same. Only the arms would be a bit different where they are bent. I'd just buy the largest VE model and work with that.

EBH

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:56 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone built a super better beamer?

Does this thing actually produce light that looks anything like an actual fresnel (ie. razor sharp point-source shadows not mushy speedlight-type shadows)?

Jan 25, 2016 at 08:47 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone built a super better beamer?

Mark_L wrote:
Does this thing actually produce light that looks anything like an actual fresnel (ie. razor sharp point-source shadows not mushy speedlight-type shadows)?

It produces the same harsh lighting as direct flash, if that is what you mean by mushy. The size of the flash head appears to the subject about twice as large in each direction as the bare flash. Since the flash extender/beamer is usually used on tele lenses at a distance the effect is about the same as the bare shoe-mount flash. Typically the device is used for fill flash outdoors, but of course it can be used on a main flash.

EBH

Jan 25, 2016 at 09:41 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone built a super better beamer?

EB-1 wrote:
It produces the same harsh lighting as direct flash, if that is what you mean by mushy. The size of the flash head appears to the subject about twice as large in each direction as the bare flash. Since the flash extender/beamer is usually used on tele lenses at a distance the effect is about the same as the bare shoe-mount flash. Typically the device is used for fill flash outdoors, but of course it can be used on a main flash.

EBH

Ah OK. Not like a true fresel then. A bare speedlight can't produce true sharp edged shadows like a fresel which can be made to look like sunlight (point source):

An example: http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100916/14/4c9287288bf79.jpg

Note the perfect detailed shadows from the hair, no blurry edges.

Jan 26, 2016 at 08:38 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone built a super better beamer?

No, it's not like a studio Fresnel light. The extender was popular primarily for portable fill flash on wildlife in the film era. The light weight and compact folded size have kept it a favorite over such clunky designs as the Lepp.

To use the extender successfully on a main light requires mounting or holding the flash a good distance away from the camera given the 300mm or greater focal length needed for angular coverage. Of course one can be creative and find other uses.

EBH

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:42 AM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone built a super better beamer?

Just an update: I did call Visual Echoes and left a message, but did not receive a call back. It's possible their current business model with respect to the Better Beamer doesn't provide for support outside of that called for by their resellers, but I'm not sure about that of course.

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:55 PM
Kisutch
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone built a super better beamer?

I tried to build better beamers several years back when I was trying to take lit shots of the habituated birds in the city. I bought some fresnels sheets they make for reading books, those page-sized magnifiers... I found that it was tricky to get them to aim properly and my cardboard structural support was too flimsy. My attempt to save money and build my own was a failure, but I know others have had better luck.

Feb 03, 2016 at 05:47 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.