Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Customizable & Printable Hyperfocal Chart?

Jim Bau
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Customizable & Printable Hyperfocal Chart?

I am looking for a website that lets you build and print a custom hyperfocal chart for your lenses. I had used the one at www.johnhendry.com in the past. Now when you go to that website and use the chart generator it flashes the screen and resets the chart. It seems to be down, and has been for a few months.

Anyone know of a site where this can be done and printed?

Jan 23, 2016 at 08:48 PM
Jim Bau
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Customizable & Printable Hyperfocal Chart?

Nevermind. I found the mathematical formulas online and made my own in Excel.

Jan 24, 2016 at 12:43 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Customizable & Printable Hyperfocal Chart?

OR... (assuming you have an iPhone) go into the app store and search for Field Tools

Jan 24, 2016 at 07:48 AM
Jim Bau
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Customizable & Printable Hyperfocal Chart?

Many applications only work where you get cell service. That's why I wanted something old school.

Jan 24, 2016 at 11:24 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Customizable & Printable Hyperfocal Chart?

no service required, is just a program.....

Jan 24, 2016 at 04:56 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Customizable & Printable Hyperfocal Chart?

There are also a number of Excel spreadsheets freely available for download, though you might have to watch out for gigo in their case.

Jan 24, 2016 at 05:43 PM
Jim Bau
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Customizable & Printable Hyperfocal Chart?

jancohen wrote:
There are also a number of Excel spreadsheets freely available for download, though you might have to watch out for gigo in their case.

This is exactly why I made my own. I am pretty sure the formulas I used are correct, and it is easy to customize for different CoC, lens focal lengths and apertures.

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:24 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Customizable & Printable Hyperfocal Chart?

rangefinder + hyperfocal card.

https://tomchuk.com/misc/rf/

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:58 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Customizable & Printable Hyperfocal Chart?

I like tabs.

© jcolwell 2016

Mar 11, 2016 at 07:58 PM
D.Hussey
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Customizable & Printable Hyperfocal Chart?

jcolwell wrote:
I like tabs.

So for a 100mm lens @f8 the theoretical ideal focal point is 42m away for depth of field
......Am I understanding this correctly?

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:14 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Customizable & Printable Hyperfocal Chart?

D.Hussey wrote:
So for a 100mm lens @f8 the theoretical ideal focal point is 42m away for depth of field
......Am I understanding this correctly?

The "hyperfocal distance" is 42m away. That's not necessarily the same as the "ideal focal point".

The hyperfocal distance represents the distance at which everything from half that distance to infinity will be in acceptable focus. In this case, from 21m to infinity. This concept is based on the "circle of confusion" which represents how much out-of-focus (OOF) you can tolerate while the result still looks acceptable. The diameter of the circle of confusion (Dcc) is related to the photo's original format size (i.e. FF DSLR, m43, medium format...), the size of the image that is being viewed (e.g. 8" x 12" print, 27" monitor, 20" x 30" poster...), and the distance from which you're viewing the image. IOW, it's based on magnification. The value of Dcc = 0.03mm represents an original image of 36mm x 24mm (i.e. full frame DSLR), printed at 8" x 12", and viewed from three or four feet away. If you get a lot closer, you'll notice that some areas that appeared to be in focus from "normal viewing distance" now appear slightly OOF. Many people, including Harold Merklinger (see below) say that if you want infinity to be in focus, then you should focus at infinity.

Merklinger, "The INs and OUTs of Focus" http://www.trenholm.org/hmmerk/TIAOOFe.pdf

BTW, many older "Alt" lenses (and some newer ones, too) have hyperfocal distance markings on them. For example, the Leica Summicron-R 50mm f/2 lens shown below is set at f/8 (aperture values on bottom ring with white dot "index" just above), and the ring of aperture values just above the index shows the range of focus distances (next ring up) that are "in focus". In this example, the lens is focused to 10m (or just about), and the left and right values of 8 on the hyperfocal scale show acceptable focus from about 5 m to infinity.

Mar 12, 2016 at 06:13 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Customizable & Printable Hyperfocal Chart?

While maybe a pipe dream, it sure would be nice to see the big two provide this on some of their more popular lenses. Leica had it right some time ago

Mar 12, 2016 at 07:24 AM
D.Hussey
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Customizable & Printable Hyperfocal Chart?

jcolwell wrote:
The "hyperfocal distance" is 42m away. That's not necessarily the same as the "ideal focal point".

The hyperfocal distance represents the distance at which everything from half that distance to infinity will be in acceptable focus. In this case, from 21m to infinity. This concept is based on the "circle of confusion" which represents how much out-of-focus (OOF) you can tolerate while the result still looks acceptable. The diameter of the circle of confusion (Dcc) is related to the photo's original format size (i.e. FF DSLR, m43, medium format...), the size of the image that is being viewed (e.g. 8"
...Show more

Okay, I get it now
Thanks for the explicit and easy to grasp clarification

Mar 12, 2016 at 01:02 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.