New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2016 · D3s vs. D500

macD600

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · D3s vs. D500

I have had the D500 on pre-order since day one. However, the more I think about the more likely I'll cancel it.
I ask myself, "Am I really unhappy about anything with the D3s?"
I can't really say I come up with anything significant for the kind of things I shot. I don't really find that I frame things too wide to require me to do a great deal of cropping.

Is anyone unhappy about anything else with their current D3s besides it being physically older?

Feb 05, 2016 at 07:39 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · D3s vs. D500

bobmcg wrote:
We're these run through DxO Prime?

not at all, just the standard DxO NR.

Feb 05, 2016 at 08:31 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · D3s vs. D500

macD600 wrote:
I have had the D500 on pre-order since day one. However, the more I think about the more likely I'll cancel it.
I can't really say I come up with anything significant for the kind of things I shot. I don't really find that I frame things too wide to require me to do a great deal of cropping.

Is anyone unhappy about anything else with their current D3s besides it being physically older?

you really think that?

Feb 05, 2016 at 08:33 PM
iamjoenish
• •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · D3s vs. D500

macD600 wrote:

I too rarely found myself wanting/needing to crop when shooting with the D3s.

While I don't have a problem at all with bigger and heavier bodies, I did find myself occasionally not reaching for the D3s before shooting purely because of its size. But then again, that's just nitpicking.

The D3s was a phenomenal machine that I will surely miss.

Feb 05, 2016 at 08:36 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · D3s vs. D500

I wish my D3S auto white balance was more accurate for all the indoor and mixed light shooting I do. My DF requires less WB work so I imagine the D500 will be even better

AF coverage over almost the entire frame, especially with many being cross-type, is very nice. But that's most a DX versus FX thing than a D3S versus D500 thing.

Feb 05, 2016 at 11:08 PM
macD600

p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · D3s vs. D500

chuhsi1 wrote:
I wish my D3S auto white balance was more accurate for all the indoor and mixed light shooting I do. My DF requires less WB work so I imagine the D500 will be even better

AF coverage over almost the entire frame, especially with many being cross-type, is very nice. But that's most a DX versus FX thing than a D3S versus D500 thing.

I mostly use my D3s for indoors sports. Generally, I come back with a couple thousand shots at a time. So to avoid doing a lot of modification in post, before I get started for the event, I do two things.
#1. Set WB to Pre, and then shot a white card.
#2. Lock down the exposure and turn off auto-exposure. This means pulling out my incidental light meter and figure out the required exposure for the venue based on the constant indoor lighting. If I don't have to use auto-exposure because light is consistent, then I would rather not have the camera be concerned with this and potentially make an error based on what colors is being reflected (i.e. black uniforms, white uniforms, floor color, wall color, etc)
Of course, I can't get away with this for outdoor lighting in which lighting conditions may be constantly changing, so I sadly need to turn on auto-iso. Often times leading to missing exposure and needing to correct in post for the reasons I light above.

Anyhow since its all indoor light, no need to use the built in light meter or have the camera try to determine WB automatically. If I can lock it down both of these ahead of time, then I would rather do that when I can.

However, I can see more AF points being important for different kind of shots. I haven't run into this yet for sports...but it is certainly possible based on a different kind of sports than what I normally shoot. Just not the kind that I have done with this camera. Also, If I wasn't shooting for an extended period of time under the same lighting condition and moved between different type of lighting, then I can see the Auto WB being an important factor as well when you don't have time to use white card or incidental meter.

Edited on Feb 06, 2016 at 12:50 AM · View previous versions

Feb 06, 2016 at 12:35 AM
werds
• •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · D3s vs. D500

macD600 wrote:
I mostly use my D3s for indoors sports. Generally, I come back with a couple thousand shots at a time. So before I get started for the event, I do two things.
#1. Set WB to Pre, and then shot a white card.
#2. Pull out my incidental light meter and figure out my required exposure for the venue. If I don't have to use auto-exposure because light is consistent, then I would rather not have the camera be concerned with this at all and lock everything down myself. Of course, I can't get away with this for outdoor lighting in which
...Show more

Silly question but does light cycling ever create a problem for you when you use this method? I have noticed the white balance issues and light cycling in some gyms and in dance studios. I wasn't surprised when I saw it in the photos but I use AWB most of the time so was just curious to see how that effects your setup if at all? (granted I am shooting a D750 which seems to handle indoor and mixed lighting extremely well in terms of AWB)

Feb 06, 2016 at 12:49 AM
macD600

p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · D3s vs. D500

werds wrote:
Silly question but does light cycling ever create a problem for you when you use this method? I have noticed the white balance issues and light cycling in some gyms and in dance studios. I wasn't surprised when I saw it in the photos but I use AWB most of the time so was just curious to see how that effects your setup if at all? (granted I am shooting a D750 which seems to handle indoor and mixed lighting extremely well in terms of AWB)

I haven't noticed an issue. Have others had bad experience depending on pre-WB and their incidental light meters for this?

Feb 06, 2016 at 12:53 AM
macD600

p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · D3s vs. D500

iamjoenish wrote:
I too rarely found myself wanting/needing to crop when shooting with the D3s.

While I don't have a problem at all with bigger and heavier bodies, I did find myself occasionally not reaching for the D3s before shooting purely because of its size. But then again, that's just nitpicking.

The D3s was a phenomenal machine that I will surely miss.

completely agree with your about the size aspect. My D3s is definitely not a walk around camera for me. It for a specific use for planned shooting of indoor or low light sports. Who wants to drag around that beast let alone the 70-200/f2.8 VRII that I typically use with it?
For unplanned shooting and travel, I carry a much smaller kit; an X-T1 with 18-55. No telephotos or primes.

Feb 06, 2016 at 01:32 AM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · D3s vs. D500

OK I want to resurrect this thread since more people have the D500 now and have used it for a bit. Previous posts on this thread were primarily educated guesses based on the spec sheet.

A used but nice D3s and a new D500 are approximately in the same price range and I'm personally thinking about an upgrade.

Jun 07, 2016 at 09:57 PM
SoonerCharlie
• •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · D3s vs. D500

Thanks for bringing this thread back to the top.

Jun 07, 2016 at 10:31 PM
henry albert
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · D3s vs. D500

Oscarsmadness wrote:
A used but nice D3s and a new D500 are approximately in the same price range and I'm personally thinking about an upgrade.

After using the D500 for several weeks, mostly in low light conditions, I would conclude that in the above scenario, the D3s is overpriced.

Jun 08, 2016 at 09:14 AM
j.curtis
• • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · D3s vs. D500

The D500 is incredible. I have had it for a couple weeks now.

DX wins of FX for most sports situations IMO. I loved a FX when I used to shoot weddings and portraits.
FPS D500 wins.
Buffer rate, D500 wins.
High ISO, D500 wins.
Auto Focus speed, D500 wins.

Used D3s vs New D500...Really is no question IMO.

Jun 08, 2016 at 09:58 AM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · D3s vs. D500

Oscarsmadness wrote:
OK I want to resurrect this thread since more people have the D500 now and have used it for a bit. Previous posts on this thread were primarily educated guesses based on the spec sheet.

I own a D3S and used the D500 for a shoot 1 day. With the exception of Full frame depth of field, the High ISO noise are a wash.

So basically the D500 excels in these:

1. Way better auto white balance. Nikons always tended to look yellow in mixed lighting. Not anymore.

2. Color. I think they tore down Canons and modeled the colors after Canon. The D5 and D500 are very Canon-like in terms of their color rendition.

3. Autofocus. Not even close. D500 ABSOLUTELY DESTROYS the D3S. This would be my sole reason for getting the D500 if capturing quick action is important.

Reasons to get the D3S.

1. Battery Life. Not even close. The D series last for thousands of shots

2. Better built. IMO, the D3 series are still the best built way better than the D800/D500 series. I don't know how strong the Carbon monoque on the D500 is.

If I was using 400mm 2.8 and above lenses on a regular basis, I would be "cautious" - not concerned but cautious because I'm sure Nikon did weight tests on the lens mount. I personally prefer a full metal lens mount on my cameras.

Jun 08, 2016 at 09:59 AM
mp0363
• •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · D3s vs. D500

iamjoenish wrote:
I've been considering selling my D3s to fund a D500 purchase. Obvious differences aside (FX vs. DX etc.) ...

i recently worked through this dilemma myself and it comes full circle. at first you approach it with "this is what i can afford" and it becomes muddled before you clean house with the correct logic. "this is what i need". full circle back to the obvious difference

Jun 08, 2016 at 02:31 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · D3s vs. D500

D500 has a much better autofocus system that is quite noticeable in low light situations. It is very usable up to ISO 6400 as compared to ISO 1600 with the D300s which is quite a difference. Having 50% greater resolution means you can do more cropping and still make large prints with no concerns.

With the D500 you will need to invest in a new set of batteries and either XQD or SD cards but that is about it.

A small thing to some but the sensor cleaning with vibration actually works very well on the D500 camera. With weeks of outdoor shooting in windy conditions and many lens changes the sensor is still pristine which I find to be a real time saver.

Jun 09, 2016 at 04:44 PM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · D3s vs. D500

Okay that helps put stuff in a real world perspective. thanks guys

Jun 09, 2016 at 05:59 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · D3s vs. D500

I have owned and used all the camera discussed (D3/D3s/D4/D4s/D5) except the D500. Most everything I shoot is low light Hi ISO. The D3s is a full, Hi ISO, stop better than the D3. The D3s/D4/D4s are all similar Hi ISO performance. The D5 is 1/2 stop better.

20.9 mP is a lot more than 12 mP. There is a large advantage in crop ability. The D500 has AF boxes virtually to the edge of the sensor in portrait which allows tighter framing and more pixels on the subject in many situations. So yes, except for WA and UWA lenses I would certainly buy a D500.

Jun 09, 2016 at 11:11 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · D3s vs. D500

Currently touring Himalayan countries with D800e and D500 so can't read through the whole thread on my mobile.

Sold the D3s to fund the D500 for birding. Many similarities to sport and IMHO no contest. The D500 has been superb both at high ISOs and AF acquisition. Reach and MPs on target important too.

If it was for studio / uncropped then I may reconsider but 12MP no longer cuts it for my use and probably for sports shooters too.

iamjoenish wrote:
With the introduction of the D500, I've been considering selling my D3s to fund a D500 purchase. Obvious differences aside (FX vs. DX etc.) what are your opinions on this dilemma?

I shoot mainly sports under a wide range of lighting that sometimes require high ISO use when flash cannot be used.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated. Aloha!

Jun 09, 2016 at 11:25 PM
RexGig0
• • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · D3s vs. D500

I am still loving my D3s, which I bought, pre-owned, last summer. I also have D700 cameras, also bought pre-owned, in 2014. My wife uses D7000 and Df cameras. My wife and I have handled a demonstrator D500, trying it with various lenses. She noted the similarity to the D300s, issued to her by her employer, that prompted her to become a dedicated Nikon shooter.

She has pronounced the D500 as her next camera acquisition. I am sure I would love a D500, too, but we are waiting a bit, while the beta testing is being done by others. (Actually, the D5 has my attention, but probably not financially possible until late 2017 or 2018, when I retire, so it is the D500 under consideration, for now.)

I seriously doubt my D3s will be going to a new home. I still have my Canon 40D, with which I became a truly serious photographer, my 5D, and my first 7D; by the time they became a bit dated, and superseded by my newer cameras, the amount I would receive by selling them seems too low. Moreover, in good light, these older cameras still perform well, plus, a vehicle crash, or similar event, might damage or destroy my newer gear, so I would want to keep at least one or two of my older cameras.

Jun 13, 2016 at 01:58 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.