Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Upgrade 2013 rMBP or get new 2015 rMBP

paparazzinick
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Upgrade 2013 rMBP or get new 2015 rMBP

So I have been throwing around the idea of selling my early 2013 13" rMBP and getting a new 2015 rMBP. My machine hit 3 years old yesterday and I typically upgrade every 3 years. Doing some research, the speed gains going from gen 3 intel i7 to gen 5 i7 wasn't that much. Not enough to justify selling a machine that works perfectly fine. I am a tech junkie and having the new machine would fulfill my tech needs lol. I really wish Apple would release the Skylake processors in the rMBP's and my decision would have been a no brainer. So not really wanting to waste $2k-ish on a new laptop right now when I know the Skylake processors will be out this year and I will regret not waiting, I decided to do more research and see about getting a bigger SSD and a slightly faster one than the stock that came with my laptop. I was looking at the OWC Aura Pro, but again the speed increase wasn't that much over the stock SSD. So i figured I would just google and find the largest drive I could get, regardless of speed and just use my current rMBP until it dies or Apple releases new rMBP's. Then I found this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147467&nm_mc=BAC-GDR-PC&cm_mmc=BAC-GDR-PC-_-dyn-_-Solid+State+Disk-_-N82E16820147467&gclid=CMCk946yvsoCFYQXHwodoo8O3Q

The speed this thing claims is ridiculous. I checked the specs and it should fit in my rMBP. I asked a buddy of mine who still works at Apple and he said he just installed one in his rMBP. Said it is blazing fast and feels like a whole new machine. I shall see Monday when it is delivered. I will post back the results in speed increase.

Just figured I would share since I know some of you are nerds like me and might want something like this.

Jan 22, 2016 at 05:07 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Upgrade 2013 rMBP or get new 2015 rMBP

Good luck getting stuff delivered Monday with the storm...

Jan 22, 2016 at 05:20 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Upgrade 2013 rMBP or get new 2015 rMBP

Paulthelefty wrote:
Good luck getting stuff delivered Monday with the storm...

Where I live we are expected 3-6" I don't see it being a problem

Jan 22, 2016 at 05:23 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Upgrade 2013 rMBP or get new 2015 rMBP

True, but where is it coming from??

:-)

Don't get me wrong, I hope you get it, but you know how this tends to play...

Paul

Jan 22, 2016 at 05:27 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Upgrade 2013 rMBP or get new 2015 rMBP

Paulthelefty wrote:
True, but where is it coming from??

:-)

Don't get me wrong, I hope you get it, but you know how this tends to play...

Paul

funny enough, amazon warehouse in the middle of my state. i could drive there and get it if they would let me.

Jan 22, 2016 at 05:28 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Upgrade 2013 rMBP or get new 2015 rMBP

The latest Mac refresh will come pretty soon. From memory it's usually around March, isn't it?

Are you sure your not going to do this only to end up upgrading in a few months anyway?

Gordon

Jan 22, 2016 at 08:00 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Upgrade 2013 rMBP or get new 2015 rMBP

flash wrote:
The latest Mac refresh will come pretty soon. From memory it's usually around March, isn't it?

Are you sure your not going to do this only to end up upgrading in a few months anyway?

Gordon

Nah, even if he does upgrade he'll still own a kickass component that could be repurposed.

Jan 22, 2016 at 08:13 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Upgrade 2013 rMBP or get new 2015 rMBP

It's only $300. It beats paying $2k or more. So if I keep it until summer or end of summer then it's $300 well spent. If I'm content and can wait until end of year, then even better.

flash wrote:

Gordon

Jan 22, 2016 at 08:21 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Upgrade 2013 rMBP or get new 2015 rMBP

I thought the rMBP had a proprietary connector and that those would not fit?

Jan 22, 2016 at 08:59 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Upgrade 2013 rMBP or get new 2015 rMBP

From what I was told from multiple sources and from carefully researching this, this one should work. I'll let you know when it arrives.
SloPhoto wrote:
I thought the rMBP had a proprietary connector and that those would not fit?

Jan 22, 2016 at 09:14 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Upgrade 2013 rMBP or get new 2015 rMBP

paparazzinick wrote:
From what I was told from multiple sources and from carefully researching this, this one should work. I'll let you know when it arrives.

Ahh, I have a 2014, not a 2013. Yours are a bit easier to find upgrades for. I doubt that one will work though. If it does work at all you will not hit speeds over ~500MB/s due to the 2013 not having support for pci-e/nvme.

Jan 22, 2016 at 09:38 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Upgrade 2013 rMBP or get new 2015 rMBP

True. But if I'm getting 450-500 consistently instead of the 300-380 I'm getting now, I'll be happy.

SloPhoto wrote:
Ahh, I have a 2014, not a 2013. Yours are a bit easier to find upgrades for. I doubt that one will work though. If it does work at all you will not hit speeds over ~500MB/s due to the 2013 not having support for pci-e/nvme.

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:51 PM
wenkanzhu
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Upgrade 2013 rMBP or get new 2015 rMBP

I'm using an original rMBP 15 mid 2012. Also waiting for the new generation with skylake CPU. Maybe a 13 inch one for higher core frequency...

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:42 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Upgrade 2013 rMBP or get new 2015 rMBP

OP , I think your 2013 is the last of the upgradable ones . I'd keep it . even the skylake update isn't likely to be that impressive going by the reviews I've seen of just about every windows laptop thats had a skylake refresh .
now thats not to say the next MBP update won't have something more compelling on it . we'll just have to wait and see for that

there are reasons to update from a 2013 to a current one. for example the force touch track pad . its a really good update to the already brilliant apple trackpad . but if I was sitting with a 2013 i don't think id be looking to update anytime soon .

Jan 23, 2016 at 02:33 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Upgrade 2013 rMBP or get new 2015 rMBP

paparazzinick wrote:
True. But if I'm getting 450-500 consistently instead of the 300-380 I'm getting now, I'll be happy.

Then perhaps a higher spec sata SSD that will allow you to get nearer the 500? What SSD are you using now?

Jan 23, 2016 at 07:19 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Upgrade 2013 rMBP or get new 2015 rMBP

3 years doesn't sound very old to me. If it ain't broken, don't fix it, or throw money at it. I would use it until it dies or becomes impractical / doesn't perform well enough.

To qualify: I am someone who shoots with cameras from 2008.

Jan 23, 2016 at 07:45 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Upgrade 2013 rMBP or get new 2015 rMBP

The stock that came with it. The 380 I hit with it is very rare. It's usually closer to 300-330. So using a fast drive should get me to hit the peak it can handle such should be in the 500's. Would be great if it went faster but that's not possible with this model.

Paul Mo wrote:
Then perhaps a higher spec sata SSD that will allow you to get nearer the 500? What SSD are you using now?

Jan 23, 2016 at 08:47 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Upgrade 2013 rMBP or get new 2015 rMBP

3 years isn't that old but in technology years, it's retirement age. Lol I do need a larger drive since the cameras I'm using are larger files. I will be shooting more than normal this year so I'll have more on the drive daily working. So throwing some money at it to get extra space and faster drive speeds is worth it. It's not like I'm throwing $2k at a new machine to only gain marginal speed increases. Now when the skylake processors come out in the rMBP then we will see enough increase to justify upgrading.
ricardovaste wrote:
3 years doesn't sound very old to me. If it ain't broken, don't fix it, or throw money at it. I would use it until it dies or becomes impractical / doesn't perform well enough.

To qualify: I am someone who shoots with cameras from 2008.

Jan 23, 2016 at 08:50 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Upgrade 2013 rMBP or get new 2015 rMBP

paparazzinick wrote:
3 years isn't that old but in technology years, it's retirement age. Lol I do need a larger drive since the cameras I'm using are larger files. I will be shooting more than normal this year so I'll have more on the drive daily working. So throwing some money at it to get extra space and faster drive speeds is worth it. It's not like I'm throwing $2k at a new machine to only gain marginal speed increases. Now when the skylake processors come out in the rMBP then we will see enough increase to justify upgrading.

Are you saying you use your MBP as your main storage device? I use external devices and clouds for archive and current work, and if I absolutely need something on the device I drag it over short term(for example a meeting).

I don't know, I'd have to disagree that 3 years is retirement age. If you buy a high spec machine and maintain it, it can certainly last longer than that. But to each their own of course.

Jan 23, 2016 at 11:22 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Upgrade 2013 rMBP or get new 2015 rMBP

Ricardo- hell no would I ever use my internal drive as main storage. I use it as my working drive and once the project is edited, I remove it. I have 3 drobos and cloud storage that I use to store everything. I only use my internal drive for working. It only ever has 1-3 jobs on it at a time while I edit them. This year though, I'm going to be busier than ever, so I'll have 5-10 jobs on it at a time. I'm never at my desk to edit since I have 2 kids and they are always involved in something. I take my laptop with me and edit when I can and where I can. So bringing a drobo with me isn't always an option. So I need a fast internal that can hold a decent amount of work for me to do. Each wedding I shoot is between 40-60 gigs. That will quickly fill up a drive that only 250 or 500.

As for retirement for my computers. Every 3 years or so I replace one of my main machines with something new. The machine that is replaced then goes to my wife. She's a teacher and just needs email, web and apps to do her lesson plans. So she is good with it for another 3-4 years for her basic needs. The computer she is using now is 6 almost 7 years old. When she gets my old computer then her old computer gets moved to our office and is used as an in house server where we have 2 drobos and 2 printers attached. It serves it purpose there to push files around and print stuff. That machine in our office now is almost 10 years old and runs like a champ. But it would never handle editing anymore. Heck, the Mac my wife uses that's almost 7 years old couldn't handle editing with the new LR and the big raw files I have.

So, that's why I upgrade my main machine every 3 years. I get new cameras often so the newer and bigger files need a better machin to handle them. In the past 3-4 years, technology has advanced so much that there really isn't much difference between generation to generation of Intel chips. Now I have gen 3 and going to gen 5 isn't enough increase. Maybe 25-30% increase. Getting a faster drive will give me about 10-15% increase. So that's enough for a small amount of money invested. Now when gen 6 is available in macs, then the increase should be 50% or more. That's when it is worth it to upgrade.

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:05 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.