New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Mono-Portrait

Lee Wiren
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mono-Portrait

As I prepare for a photo shoot of an author,I figured I would try out my new beauty dish and honeycombs in a self portrait.... I figured the beauty dish being a harsher light on a self portrait would help show me the effects on a craggly scarred face so that I can see how it may appear on subjects....

Beauty Dish Camera 45* left and high, 10* 7" honeycomb on my other AB800 for hair light, reflector on a boom camera right sitting right next to me.....

I realize now it would have been better to have the light on my other side as my nose has a slight bend/crook.... probably would have had the same eye shadow/pocket area....I don't know about the rest of you, but I hate looking at myself almost as much as I hate hearing my own recorded voice....

Things to learn if you want to teach... i'm all ears.

Jan 22, 2016 at 03:06 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mono-Portrait

Lee - what is the main thing you want people to see in this shot? Your hands or your face?

The usual properties of light (objects closer to the light source show as brighter) are at work here, making your hands brighter and therefore more prominent than your face.

In this shot that difference is slight but you can make a small improvement in your photo by darkening the hands a bit.

Overall I like the lighting in this one - good catchlights and hair light too.

Jan 22, 2016 at 09:13 AM
Lee Wiren
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mono-Portrait

Thanks Jim.... I wanted to use a shot without hands....but all of those made me look like I was trying to bore a whole through the lens with my intense, angry look (even though when the timer when off I felt I was giving a relaxed guy look.....) My other non-hand portraits were as bad as Shatners acting.... a stretch for sure . So, while I wan't trying to import anything by this image, I was just basically working on the lighting, which sounds like I did ok on.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it.

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:12 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mono-Portrait

Give us your settings on this. How far away was the main light? Looking at the catchligh, it's too small, which tells me the beauty dish (22 inch?) was too far away. It should be within a couple feet of your subject, at least the way I use it. Those closer the light, the softer it will be. It looks like I'm seeing a lot of noise, which is really unusual for a studio portrait.

Totally agree with Jim on the hands.

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:18 AM
Lee Wiren
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mono-Portrait

friscoron wrote:
Give us your settings on this. How far away was the main light? Looking at the catchligh, it's too small, which tells me the beauty dish (22 inch?) was too far away. It should be within a couple feet of your subject, at least the way I use it. Those closer the light, the softer it will be. It looks like I'm seeing a lot of noise, which is really unusual for a studio portrait.

Totally agree with Jim on the hands.

f10, ISO 100 1/200, the dish (yes, 22") was about just about a meter away (call it 3'). I can see from the original that I had the settings wrong... I should probably dial down to f8, 1/160.....and maybe bump ISO up to 200....

With as bad as all these came out, I did it up in b/w... noise coming from the excessive EV added as well as the b/w treatment with some simulated film grain....

Thanks

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:10 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.