FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Skógafoss Lupine, Iceland

Kris Sproul
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Skógafoss Lupine, Iceland

Here's a photo I just finished processing, but I'd love to get some opinions on it before I finalize it.

This was taken at Skógafoss, one of the largest, most iconic waterfalls in Iceland. During my time in Iceland last summer, the country was blanketed in lupine in several areas, particularly in the south where this was shot. Some of this lupine was near Skógafoss, so I thought it might make a nice foreground for the waterfall, hopefully resulting in a more unique take on this icon.

I'd love input on my composition, processing, and whatever else you might care to comment on. Thank you!

Please see my new version in the comments below, which incorporates some of the suggestions given here. Thanks!

"Skógafoss Lupine"
Skógar, Iceland

Edited on Jan 24, 2016 at 08:09 PM · View previous versions

Jan 21, 2016 at 09:11 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Skógafoss Lupine, Iceland

Really like how you mixed it up with this composition. I like it.

Jan 21, 2016 at 09:15 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Skógafoss Lupine, Iceland

Hey Kris,

What a sweet waterfall. From that angle it's cool how it just seems to come out of no where and go no where. I like the flowers in the foreground also. Some of the clouds are a bit hot, if some more detail could be pulled in there, that would be great. But if not, this is still really nice shot.

Jim

Jan 22, 2016 at 12:59 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Skógafoss Lupine, Iceland

Beautiful composition and wonderful light. I agree with Jim regarding the hot clouds.

Jan 22, 2016 at 02:31 PM
ajkessler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Skógafoss Lupine, Iceland

Kris, I've never seen this view and really enjoy it. The light is beautiful.

I'd probably darken the sky just a bit, darken some of the trees in the middle on the left, and lighten up the waterfall a bit, just so the eye moves to it more easily.

Jan 22, 2016 at 04:39 PM
toddlio
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Skógafoss Lupine, Iceland

Nice original take on this location, well done.

Jan 22, 2016 at 05:01 PM
Kris Sproul
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Skógafoss Lupine, Iceland

Thanks for all comments! I'm glad you guys like this composition. This was taken from a little pullout right beside the Ring Road, rather than at the main area near the waterfall and campground. I saw the lupine there and figured I had to work it into a shot with the waterfall.

I appreciate the input on the hot clouds. I just verified that the highlights are not blown, but they're close. I'll definitely try some further adjustments there and maybe with darkening the sky in general.

Now that I'm looking at the trees again, I definitely agree with darkening the ones toward the left more. I was struggling with how to make the trees stand out from the green grass, and I was able to somewhat accomplish that by adding some contrast to them via curves, but I think some more darkening is in order.

As for lightening up the waterfall, I can play around with that too. I had actually toyed with darkening it a bit, but I didn't like how it looked, so I undid it. I haven't tried going the other way, but my initial feeling is that I'm not going to want it any brighter. Still, I'll give it a shot.

I'll repost the shot once I have time to mess around with it more either later tonight or tomorrow. On this forum in general, is it preferred that I replace the original shot or post the edited version alongside it (either in my initial post or in a new reply)?

Thanks for your help with this one! I had a feeling a few things could still be improved on it, so I really appreciate the input.

Jan 22, 2016 at 08:15 PM
pbraymond
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Skógafoss Lupine, Iceland

Beautiful view, lovely shot. Having cut my teeth on Velvia I find everything too bright, just as a matter of taste. With the direct light on some of the scene I'd expect to see more contrast overall.

Jan 22, 2016 at 09:26 PM
Kris Sproul
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Skógafoss Lupine, Iceland

Thanks for all the feedback. Here's a version with a some adjustments incorporating the suggestions given above (and a few other fixes I decided to make). Please let me know what you think.

Jan 24, 2016 at 08:07 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Skógafoss Lupine, Iceland

Nice capture and the lupines make a great clean foreground. Your 2nd rendention efforts on the sky is much better. Dave

Jan 25, 2016 at 08:28 AM
howardF
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Skógafoss Lupine, Iceland

Very nice photo!!!

Jan 25, 2016 at 11:34 AM
Kris Sproul
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Skógafoss Lupine, Iceland

dbehrens wrote:
Nice capture and the lupines make a great clean foreground. Your 2nd rendention efforts on the sky is much better. Dave

Thank you! I'm glad you like the sky better in the second version. I do too, and I'm glad it was pointed out above.

---------------------------------------------

howardF wrote:
Very nice photo!!!

Thanks!

Jan 25, 2016 at 11:19 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.