New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Olympus 35mm f/1.4 full frame mirrorless lens patent

kewlcanon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Olympus 35mm f/1.4 full frame mirrorless lens patent

http://photorumors.com/2016/01/21/olympus-zuiko-digital-35mm-f1-4-full-frame-mirrorless-lens-patent/

"Few days ago I reported on a new Olympus 28mm f/2 full frame mirrorless lens patent. Today Egami spotted another Olympus patent filed in Japan for a 35mm f/1.4 full frame mirrorless lens. Just like the previous 28mm f/2, this 35mm f/1.4 lens is calculated for a sensor slightly smaller than a "real" full frame."

Jan 21, 2016 at 09:06 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Olympus 35mm f/1.4 full frame mirrorless lens patent

How much is slightly smaller? If it's like 1mm or so, it's not a big deal, but if it starts getting into a 1.1x crop or so, it'll be mildly annoying if they are designing to 'standard' full frame focal lengths. (A 28mm would be a 31mm...not enough to make an image quality issue, but annoying from an AOV perspective.)

Jan 21, 2016 at 09:23 PM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Olympus 35mm f/1.4 full frame mirrorless lens patent

The image height (IH) given in the 35/1.4 patent is 21.633mm, which is an image circle of 43.266mm. I think that is indeed full frame and no crop, if memory serves.

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:03 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Olympus 35mm f/1.4 full frame mirrorless lens patent

That would cover a full frame. Is that how IH is calculated? Half of the diameter of the IC?

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:12 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Olympus 35mm f/1.4 full frame mirrorless lens patent

Image Height isn't the short end of the sensor (if it's s it would be 2.4mm short.)? If it were, it would equate to a 38.9mm diagonal, or a 1.1x crop. I hope your definition is the correct one.

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:19 PM
Big Cheese
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Olympus 35mm f/1.4 full frame mirrorless lens patent

So what is Olympus up to? If they are going to build lenses for the Sony E-Mount that would be great as it seems Sony is hopeless when it comes to delivering lenses.

If they are going to introduce their own FF system then I think it would struggle.
Now that I think about it, it can't be for Sony because those are two lenses Sony already has.

Jan 22, 2016 at 01:39 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Olympus 35mm f/1.4 full frame mirrorless lens patent

Hmm good question Big Cheese. Second FF compatible lens patent in a short time. Why would they patent something like that if they don't intend to either create a FF system or create lenses for a FF system?

And does it cover full frame? Or like Jman said, if it's a 1.1 crop that would be quite annoying. Either go FF no crop at all or stay with 1.5 or 2.0 please.

If they would struggle with a FF system, I'm not sure. I would love an Olympus FF camera but then again there are other cameras and makes that would have an easier time. If they do want to introduce a FF mirrorless system, not is the time. Before the two big boys join the game.

Jan 22, 2016 at 06:57 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Olympus 35mm f/1.4 full frame mirrorless lens patent

Image height refers to the distance from the center of the image to the periphery of the image circle. That is how the term is used e.g. in Zeiss MTF data sheets. So the Olympus patents are for full frame lenses.

See the text on the bottom of page four in the pdf for the Loxia 21: http://www.zeiss.de/content/dam/Photography/new/pdf/en/downloadcenter/datasheets_loxia/loxia_2821.pdf

Olympus could join the Sony E/FE mount, just like they created the 43 and m43 mounts together with Panasonic.

Jan 22, 2016 at 07:51 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Olympus 35mm f/1.4 full frame mirrorless lens patent

Thanks Bjorn

Jan 22, 2016 at 08:10 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Olympus 35mm f/1.4 full frame mirrorless lens patent

Indeed, thanks!

Jan 22, 2016 at 08:24 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Olympus 35mm f/1.4 full frame mirrorless lens patent

3 prime lenses now:

http://www.43rumors.com/and-here-is-the-next-olympus-full-frame-lens-patent-20mm-24mm-and-35mm-f1-4-lenses/

Jan 22, 2016 at 08:32 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Olympus 35mm f/1.4 full frame mirrorless lens patent

Can't say like that "all three lenses have huge distortion and chromatic aberration." I expect a bit of a balancing act in that regard, but basically ignoring them and letting software correct them leads to softer corners. We'll have to see if these lenses ever come to light and how they perform.

Jan 22, 2016 at 08:36 AM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Olympus 35mm f/1.4 full frame mirrorless lens patent

Actually 4 when you count the 28.

-Tim

Jan 22, 2016 at 08:37 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Olympus 35mm f/1.4 full frame mirrorless lens patent

Will there also be a Zuiko Digital 90/2 macro?

Jan 22, 2016 at 08:43 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Olympus 35mm f/1.4 full frame mirrorless lens patent

How can they tell that all lenses have huge CA and distortion from a few patents only? But of course, I doubt they would release the lenses with terrible performance and trust software only. Their current PRO lenses have very nice optical performance as it is.

Another question... would there be any idea at all to patent all these lenses if they weren't indeed planning SOMETHING?

Unless they are just having fun with 43rumors and m43 users

Jan 22, 2016 at 09:17 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Olympus 35mm f/1.4 full frame mirrorless lens patent

Wilbus wrote:
How can they tell that all lenses have huge CA and distortion from a few patents only? But of course, I doubt they would release the lenses with terrible performance and trust software only. Their current PRO lenses have very nice optical performance as it is.

Another question... would there be any idea at all to patent all these lenses if they weren't indeed planning SOMETHING?

You bet! Olympus, of all companies, cannot afford to waste their limited R&D resources on trivial pursuits!

Jan 22, 2016 at 09:47 AM
Atlasman2
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Olympus 35mm f/1.4 full frame mirrorless lens patent

kewlcanon wrote:
http://photorumors.com/2016/01/21/olympus-zuiko-digital-35mm-f1-4-full-frame-mirrorless-lens-patent/

"Few days ago I reported on a new Olympus 28mm f/2 full frame mirrorless lens patent. Today Egami spotted another Olympus patent filed in Japan for a 35mm f/1.4 full frame mirrorless lens. Just like the previous 28mm f/2, this 35mm f/1.4 lens is calculated for a sensor slightly smaller than a "real" full frame."

It's good to see Olympus looking outside of the m4/3 format. I would like to see a full-frame that allows me to use my current m4/3 lenses—even if crop mode yielded a 12MP image.

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:06 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Olympus 35mm f/1.4 full frame mirrorless lens patent

Wilbus wrote:

The patents don't necessarily represent final products. My guess is that lenses selected for production will undergo further optimizations, if imdeed Olympus is going to make full frame lenses.

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:08 AM
Atlasman2
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Olympus 35mm f/1.4 full frame mirrorless lens patent

bobbytan wrote:
You bet! Olympus, of all companies, cannot afford to waste their limited R&D resources on trivial pursuits!

I think that Olympus cannot afford to keep all their eggs in one basket.

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:08 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Olympus 35mm f/1.4 full frame mirrorless lens patent

bjornthun wrote:
The patents don't necessarily represent final products. My guess is that lenses selected for production will undergo further optimizations, if imdeed Olympus is going to make full frame lenses.

Thank you, that's what I meant as well. Saying "full och CA and distortion" based on early patents seems a little bit silly.

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:41 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.