Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Shanny vs Yongnuo 600 for starter flash....

bostonmacos
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shanny vs Yongnuo 600 for starter flash....

Hi there.

I generall don't need flash photography for the sport that I shoot however I need one now.

I'm out of the price range for a 600 Speedlight Canon so I've been looking at the Chinese copies. Both the Yongnuo and the Shanny are more in my price range but am not sure about the quality and overall use with the Canon 60D.

If someone could comment on these flash brands.

I'm also new to this modern world of radio flashes....so I'm looking at the YN560 , 600 and the 622 and the 685 and scratching my head at the difference.

If anyone could give me a link to a good site would be appreciated.

Rob

Jan 21, 2016 at 08:48 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shanny vs Yongnuo 600 for starter flash....

Yongnuo has been around a while and has a pretty good reputation. Never heard of that other one.

Paul

Jan 21, 2016 at 11:53 AM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shanny vs Yongnuo 600 for starter flash....

Either is fine (but you won't be able to use the radio trigger without a transmitter of some sort).

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:12 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shanny vs Yongnuo 600 for starter flash....

For casual use the Yongnuo should be fine, I have no feedback about the Shanny, it seems to be a lower end unit. However, if you are planning on critical usage, where you depend on them working, I'd go for Canon, and even then have multiple ones.

As always with third party flashes, be careful to make sure they work with your camera. When Canon comes out with a new model camera body, its almost certain that the third party flashes will not interface properly, and you will have to wait months at best for a firmware update for the flash.

Treat them as throw-away devices.

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:23 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shanny vs Yongnuo 600 for starter flash....

Just before Christmas I got a Canon 600 and a Yongnuo 600 and already the rubber thing around the mount has popped off of the Yongnuo. I am using them to shoot real estate right now so sometimes putting the stand on and off up to 4 times a day for 2 weeks. That is not alot of use so far in my opinion so I am not thrilled with the Yongnuo. Also, on one occasion when I was shooting a very large 3 level log cabin interior, it heated up but hard to say if it was the batteries or the flash but the same type are in the Canon and no issue with it heating up and they are flashing together.

So depending on frequency and your tolerances. For me, I'm adding a 3rd Canon one and the off brand will become the one to use for when I need 3 only.

Also, from reviews on the Yongnuo, the rubber coming off the mount is not a rarity. It is common but they say from mounting and unmounting on a body. I thought to avoid this by using it on a stand. Now, I'm using a bag with a slot in it to slide it down and leave the stand mounted on it each time instead of taking it off and using it's own bag between locations. It just required using a different bag and setting it up for the lights to be inverted.

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:32 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shanny vs Yongnuo 600 for starter flash....

I've been looking at the YN600 and a trigger for my current YN568 III (and transmitter), and hadn't yet seen the YN685; and on their site I can't really make heads or tails as to what the difference is.

I will say that they work, well; I'll also echo what scalesusa mentioned- for professional work, get the Canon kit. You can treat the YN stuff as a backup of a backup, at best, when pay is on the line.

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:35 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shanny vs Yongnuo 600 for starter flash....

johnctharp wrote:
I've been looking at the YN600 and a trigger for my current YN568 III (and transmitter), and hadn't yet seen the YN685; and on their site I can't really make heads or tails as to what the difference is.

I will say that they work, well; I'll also echo what scalesusa mentioned- for professional work, get the Canon kit. You can treat the YN stuff as a backup of a backup, at best, when pay is on the line.

John, I'm not positive, but I think the YN685 will only work as a slave. The 600 works as both slave and master. This was my take on it anyway.

Jan 21, 2016 at 01:06 PM
Mike Sowsun
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shanny vs Yongnuo 600 for starter flash....

The Shanny SN600C-RT and the Yongnuo YN600EX-RT are both copies of the Canon 600EX-RT. All 3 are NOT compatible with the YN685. The YN685 will not work with the optical or radio master/slave systems of the 600EX-RT flash system.

The YN685 is just a regular ETTL flash with a built in YN-622C receiver.

I find "Flash Havoc" is a good source for information on the various flash systems. http://flashhavoc.com/yongnuo-yn685-speedlite-now-available/

I would recommend a YN-685 for a low-cost full featured first time flash. When you are ready just add a YN-622C-TX transmitter for complete off camera control.

Jan 21, 2016 at 01:45 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shanny vs Yongnuo 600 for starter flash....

So, here's where I'm getting caught up- I was assuming that if it were a Yongnuo RF flash, that it was also compatible with Canon's RF tech.

Are we talking about two different RF systems here?

Jan 21, 2016 at 04:41 PM
Mike Sowsun
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shanny vs Yongnuo 600 for starter flash....

Yes, they are 2 different systems and not compatible or interchangeable. The YN600EX-RT uses Canon's system and it is not compatible with other Yongnuo RF systems like 622C or RF-603

You could use a Canon 600EX-RT or YN600EX-RT with a Yongnuo 622C tranceiver but it is then using the YN622C system and not the Canon system.

Edited on Jan 21, 2016 at 04:48 PM · View previous versions

Jan 21, 2016 at 04:44 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Shanny vs Yongnuo 600 for starter flash....

Mike Sowsun wrote:
Yes, they are 2 different systems and not compatible or interchangeable.

Thanks, that makes life easy then. Buy the YN 600-RT, and nothing else .

Jan 21, 2016 at 04:46 PM
elluDe
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Shanny vs Yongnuo 600 for starter flash....

If you're not planning on using it off camera, yes.

Although if you're using the flash for outdoor sports events, such as players after a game or whatever, in situations where it might be raining etc, I'd be tempted to go for the Canon flash which would likely stand up better to this type of use. Another cheaper option might be a used 580ex which is still an excellent flash and is also built to withstand outdoor conditions.

Jan 21, 2016 at 08:24 PM
bostonmacos
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Shanny vs Yongnuo 600 for starter flash....

Ok So I'm narrowed down to the

YN-685
YN-568 ex ii
YN-600EX-RT

I'm new to this game so I'm wondering which will work as an off camera flash for my 60D. I know you can get radio transmitters for the flashes and the 568 doesn't work as a master but the camera itself should be able to be the master for these flashes.

Thanks stil learning...

Jan 22, 2016 at 09:31 AM
Mike Sowsun
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Shanny vs Yongnuo 600 for starter flash....

The YN685 only has a radio receiver and will not work as a slave to the 60D master flash.

The other 2 will.

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:41 AM
bostonmacos
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Shanny vs Yongnuo 600 for starter flash....

So the 60D doesn't have radio then...It's "wireless" for slave flashes is just optical...I get confused by when they say that the 60D can have "wireless" slave flashes.

So if I want to shoot the 568 off camera I read:

"The 568EX II can be used as a master to trigger other slave units on your 60D.

The 60D can trigger the 568EX II in optical mode, but you’d need another trigger to trigger it in ETTL mode sine the 60D can’t act as a wireless trigger for ETTL using it’s popup flash."

Again just a lot of information to learn.

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:01 AM
Mike Sowsun
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Shanny vs Yongnuo 600 for starter flash....

Incorrect. The 60D pop up flash can act as an ETTL master, but only for flash using the Canon optical slave/master system.

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:22 AM
bostonmacos
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Shanny vs Yongnuo 600 for starter flash....

ok now I'm just confused since I just watched a video saying I need radio transmitters for the 568Ex II

Jan 22, 2016 at 01:05 PM
Mike Sowsun
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Shanny vs Yongnuo 600 for starter flash....

bostonmacos wrote:
ok now I'm just confused since I just watched a video saying I need radio transmitters for the 568Ex II

The Yongnuo 568EX II has lots of different optical wireless slave modes.

You only need radio transmitters if you want to use radio wireless slave mode.

http://www.davidpartington.com/m43/2014/12/16/yn568ex-ii-remote-slave-mode/

Jan 22, 2016 at 01:13 PM
Kisutch
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Shanny vs Yongnuo 600 for starter flash....

I'd look into the Lumopro 180, which they are now making a radio version of. Lumopro has a 2-y warranty that they are really good about -- I messed up some of their flashes through my own fault and they did no question returns, didn't pay shipping or nothing, way better than Canon in that sense.

The Lumopro is a manual flash, which I think you will find makes it much easier to work with and to learn from. If you are doing run and gun, fast paced stuff with changing distance to subject than ttl is great, but otherwise it can be a headache. Every time I use my Canon ttl flashes I'm blown away by the complexity of the menus, slave settings, etc. The LP flashes give you many easy ways to trigger (2 wired synch options, optical, radio, etc) and are just really easy to use.

Jan 22, 2016 at 03:25 PM
maxx9photo
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Shanny vs Yongnuo 600 for starter flash....

Quality over quantity (Canon vs 3rd party), you can have more units with YN but no quality even close to Canon. But if you have to save the money now, well Yong Nuo is good option. Like the old saying Cheap sh*t no good, good sh*t no cheap

Jan 22, 2016 at 04:09 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.