New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Digital lenses on film

edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Digital lenses on film

Hi guys,

Do you think that lenses designed with a certain thickness of sensor filter stack/cover glass would still work equally well on film?

Jan 18, 2016 at 04:53 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Digital lenses on film

I think the only way to truly know would be to try given the huge number of variables at play.

Jan 18, 2016 at 07:03 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Digital lenses on film

I know, but my question is only theoretical.

Jan 18, 2016 at 07:15 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Digital lenses on film

Practical answer: from my experience yes - at least by comparing lenses made for DSLRs with their performance on SLR cameras. I did this test a 1-2 years ago by using some of my Canon EF lenses (which were mostly my 24/3.5 TSE II, the 17-40/4 L, and the 50/1.2 L) on my old Rebel film SLR camera with excellent results.

If your question is more targeted towards rangefinder lenses and their latest designs - for example the brand new Leica 35/2 ASPH lens which might accommodate for thicker sensor glass on Sony A7 series cameras (maybe?) - I don't know.

Jan 18, 2016 at 07:32 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Digital lenses on film

Equally well in practice or theory?

I'd guess there's no all-encompassing answer, except that it depends (on the lens design, filter stack/cover glass, etc).

It seems we have some evidence that might support the idea that lenses optimized for digital won't perform as well on film: Kolari modded A7x have at least some degradation (though not much, and not so serious) with some native Sony FE lenses.

Obviously film adds a new ingredient. But the example again gives us some possible insight.

Jan 18, 2016 at 07:32 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Digital lenses on film

I am personally convinced that image degradation on film is inevitable, but maybe it won't be as dramatic as on digital since film is very forgiving for little imperfections.

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:50 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Digital lenses on film

edwardkaraa wrote:
I am personally convinced that image degradation on film is inevitable, but maybe it won't be as dramatic as on digital since film is very forgiving for little imperfections.

This is sort of a cross-post from the other current discussion in the "New Leica M lenses announced" thread. I believe you think that the latest M versions might be corrected for thicker sensor glass (related to SL camera and maybe even - I speculate - directly or indirectly for the A7 series). I agree, those new M lenses might be not working so well on film anymore - will be interesting to see!

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:56 AM
carlitos
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Digital lenses on film

edwardkaraa wrote:

It is amazing to me that Sony and the other sensor manufacturers can put more transistors and circuits into a given square millimeter than Kodak or Fuji can put light sensitive molecules into the same space. The result being that digital requires more accuracy, less tolerance, than film. And film isn't as flat.

Maybe one day there will be a standard developed on the thickness of the sensor filter glass.

Jan 18, 2016 at 01:13 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Digital lenses on film

carlitos wrote:
It is amazing to me that Sony and the other sensor manufacturers can put more transistors and circuits into a given square millimeter than Kodak or Fuji can put light sensitive molecules into the same space. The result being that digital requires more accuracy, less tolerance, than film. And film isn't as flat.

Maybe one day there will be a standard developed on the thickness of the sensor filter glass.

That's because film R&D practically stopped in the early 2000s. Who knows what could have been achieved if film technology kept on advancing.

Jan 18, 2016 at 01:33 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Digital lenses on film

edwardkaraa wrote:
That's because film R&D practically stopped in the early 2000s. Who knows what could have been achieved if film technology kept on advancing.

Sigh..............yes, who knows?

Oh well, at least we have Portra and Ektar films, that scan absolutely beautifully.

Jan 18, 2016 at 02:09 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.