New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · Fuji X-E1 vs Sony a6000 vs Olympus omd em-5

Nikonanon

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji X-E1 vs Sony a6000 vs Olympus omd em-5

Hi everyone, I am stuck between the decision of one of the cameras listed above. The camera will be a compliment to my usual nikon dslrs and will be used for street photography, so it has to be discreet, social photography so it cant be intimidating (looking at you dslr) and as a camera I can take around with me anywhere so I will purchase a pancake prime for whichever camera I decide to go with. I have spent limited time with all 3 cameras and I have placed the sony last even with it's astonishingly good AF because of how it operates and and the fuji first as I love the way it feels and operates.

Any thoughts?

PS. I have shot street for years on SLR style cameras and I am only stating mirrorless cameras are more discreet because security personnel don't stop me every time I walk past a skyscraper which is a issue I now have to deal with when shooting SLRs due to the recent onslaught of terror attacks and paranoia.

Edited on Jan 18, 2016 at 05:18 PM · View previous versions

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:47 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji X-E1 vs Sony a6000 vs Olympus omd em-5

sony a6000. small and discrete and fast.

Jan 18, 2016 at 01:53 AM
austinschutz
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji X-E1 vs Sony a6000 vs Olympus omd em-5

I don't think you can really go wrong. I would recommend the Sony last just because there is less high quality glass designated specifically for APS-C, although if you might have interest in going FF at some point in time it is the best option (I currently shoot sony with a NEX 5). I don't have experience with Fuji. MFT is excellent. Tons of great glass, tons of great cameras with brilliant AF systems. My experiences with the GH4 have been phenomenal (my work lets me use theirs) and I imagine myself adding a MFT camera in the future. The Panny 12-35mm f/2.8 is fantastic, as is the Oly 45mm f/1.8. Other Pan/Oly glass seems similarly regarded and it is easy to build a cheap, small, high quality system. I have found ISO performance acceptable up to 1600.

Jan 18, 2016 at 01:59 AM
Big Cheese
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji X-E1 vs Sony a6000 vs Olympus omd em-5

I've owned an X-E1 and an E-M5. Both are nice cameras but both also felt like beta versions. I'd encourage you to look for a second hand X-t10 or E-M10 as they are much more refined.
The E-m5 JPEGs are mostly very nice. I find Fuji a bit more hit and miss. Sometimes the x- trans sensor produces something really good and better than the Oly but it can also get a bit funky easily.

The E-M5 doesn't have an inbuilt flash and the little clip on one provided is fiddly to use. But the Oly touch screen is handy including the ability to touch a spot on the screen to get the camera to both focus on that point and to shoot. It also flips out, where the X-E1 is fixed and lower res. the Oly also has a slightly better EVF, IMO.
The Oly AF is also significantly faster than the Fuji.
If you really are sticking to those models then my choice would be the E-M5 every time but make sure you are comfortable with the ergonomics.

Jan 18, 2016 at 06:14 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji X-E1 vs Sony a6000 vs Olympus omd em-5

The E-M5 is still capable but shows it age, especially since there were 4 other camera released with improvements in them (E-M1, E-M10, E-M5II, E-M10II). See if you grab a E-M10. Even a X-E2 used can be had in the $300-400 range.

Jan 18, 2016 at 07:02 AM
twelveish
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji X-E1 vs Sony a6000 vs Olympus omd em-5

I love the way the X cameras feel and operate, so I get you. My thought is life's too short to not pick or go for what you love. Especially, and in this context, for non-critical use. X-E1.

Jan 18, 2016 at 07:45 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji X-E1 vs Sony a6000 vs Olympus omd em-5

X-E2 looks to have a major firmware update Feb 4th that gives it some new features, new AF system etc

I'd spend a little more and get that one over the X-E1

Jan 18, 2016 at 09:28 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji X-E1 vs Sony a6000 vs Olympus omd em-5

If you're not doing zone focusing, the A6000 is the no brainer between those choices if you're talking street photography.

The Sony 20mm F2.8 is also a GEM of a pancake lens. Super fast and silent AF, very nice rendering compared to the same FL and pancakes on either MFT or X-Mount. The only weakness on the Sony is the lack of touch screen.

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:00 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji X-E1 vs Sony a6000 vs Olympus omd em-5

ceder wrote:
It sure is a different feeling getting a big white EF 70-200/2.8 mounted on a Canon 1 DX shoved in your face compared to a small compact! Even when you are ready for it! So...I guess there is magic in the world

Well for one thing, given the MFD of a 70-200, it is not going to be stuck in anyone's face.

Second, you really think if someone is going to punch you for sticking a 1Dx in their face that they aren't if you stick just a Ricoh GR or an iPhone in their face ? They are just going to go "oh, that is a cute, non-threatening camera, I think I'll give a pretty smile".

I've worked as a photojournalist for 15 years, and owned pretty much every DSLR, mirrorless camera on the market (many several times over) and the camera used simply does not affect subjects perception. Its all in the mind of the photographer.

It was a way for people to help justify their $1300 Fuji X100 purchase and the concept of "oh, its just an old film camera, thus non-threatening".

Sorry but the average person on the stress doesn't base their level of comfort or aggression based upon the medium your shooting on.

Your not going to take a picture of someone's kid at the park and magically have the overprotective alpha male wanna be father who's up in your face say "oh, your shooting film with an antique camera, carry on", but someone internet forums have someone taken this as fact.

"review" after "review" of certain models always make claim to how "cute" certain camera models are. Suggesting that random people on the street are just going to flock to your "cute" retro camera and ask for photos to be taken.

Has anyone ever walked up a stranger and begged for a photo because of the camera they had ? No, its just a line to help sell cameras

I can, and have for years, been able to go to a public place with kids playing, with my big scary Nikon D3s, and comfortably stand in full view everyone take photos of children playing. I don't try to be a ninja, and I gladly smile and make eye contact with anyone there. I proudly let anyone who ask know why I'm taking photos, give business cards to the publication so they can see the shots, and if anyone request an image not to be used, delete the photo right in front of them, which hasn't ever happened.

Contrast that to someone who's trying to sit on a bench, looking out of place, awkward and uncomfortable, trying to soot from the hip using the touch screen on their new black non-threatening camera. Anyone looks his way, he looks the other way, avoiding eye contact, pretending to be busy on his phone.... That is the creepy "street" shooter that draws attention.

Its not the camera, its the way the shooter handles themselves.

Doesn't matter if your camera has 1 sq foot front surface area or 0.25 foot front surface area. Doesn't matter if its black or silver or pink. People simply don't see that, they instead see the 6 foot tall very uncomfortable person.

Jan 18, 2016 at 01:49 PM
ceder
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji X-E1 vs Sony a6000 vs Olympus omd em-5

millsart wrote:
Well for one thing, given the MFD of a 70-200, it is not going to be stuck in anyone's face.

Second, you really think if someone is going to punch you for sticking a 1Dx in their face that they aren't if you stick just a Ricoh GR or an iPhone in their face ? They are just going to go "oh, that is a cute, non-threatening camera, I think I'll give a pretty smile".

I've worked as a photojournalist for 15 years, and owned pretty much every DSLR, mirrorless camera on the market (many several times over) and the camera
...Show more

Of course it is mostly about the way the shooter handles themselves.

But we were discussing gear - and gear is important.

Big, big (pun intended) difference if it is a small black camera, or a huge white lens. I have had people ask me use smaller lenses for portraits. But go ahead, whatever pleases you. You keep keeping on

Jan 18, 2016 at 02:03 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji X-E1 vs Sony a6000 vs Olympus omd em-5

A huge part of street photography is capturing candid moments. The forgotten textures of every day life. Photo guy with a dslr and vest is a lot more conspicuous than generic guy with small camera. This is why the Ricoh GR is so popular among this crowd.

Or maybe you can ask Henri why he preferred small cameras over huge ones.

Jan 18, 2016 at 02:05 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji X-E1 vs Sony a6000 vs Olympus omd em-5

ceder wrote:
Do you think a Leica M + 35/1.4 is less intimidating than Canon EOS + 35/1.4L II USM?

But go ahead, please yourself if no one else

Nope, not intimidating at all. Not if used correctly as Millsart explained.

Jan 18, 2016 at 02:07 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fuji X-E1 vs Sony a6000 vs Olympus omd em-5

ceder wrote:
Of course it is mostly about the way the shooter handles themselves.

But we were discussing gear - and gear is important.

Big, big (pun intended) difference if it is a small black camera, or a huge white lens. I have had people ask me use smaller lenses for portraits. But go ahead, whatever pleases you. You keep keeping on

I guess Nikon is OK since they dont have white lenses.

Jan 18, 2016 at 02:08 PM
austinschutz
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fuji X-E1 vs Sony a6000 vs Olympus omd em-5

rattymouse wrote:
If a DSLR is "intimidating" then you are doing street photography all wrong.

Not only is this not constructive, it is rude.

Jan 18, 2016 at 02:09 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fuji X-E1 vs Sony a6000 vs Olympus omd em-5

austinschutz wrote:
Not only is this not constructive, it is rude.

You are incorrect.

Jan 18, 2016 at 02:10 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fuji X-E1 vs Sony a6000 vs Olympus omd em-5

There are many ways to approach street photography and to a few people's dismay...maybe their approach is NOT the end all and be all for everyone. Sometimes a small camera might make the photographer feel more comfortable in the street...is there anything wrong with that?

Personally I like carrying a small camera in the street as I carry it on my wrist and it becomes acpain to lug around a big camera with big lens for days on end...but that's just me.

Jan 18, 2016 at 02:28 PM
Nikonanon

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fuji X-E1 vs Sony a6000 vs Olympus omd em-5

Wow this got off topic quite quickly- anyway as some mentioned, camera size doesn't really matter for street photography but it really makes me feel more comfortable. But through many street shoots, I have had a higher hit rate for candids with my OM-1 than my d800 or d700. Now that that is out of the way, can we please get back on topic? Also thanks to all who shared their opinion, I greatly appreciate it

Jan 18, 2016 at 02:31 PM
Nikonanon

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fuji X-E1 vs Sony a6000 vs Olympus omd em-5

I should also clarify that this purchase will be a SUPPLEMENT to my main nikon full frame system. As such, I will likely only purchase one pancake prime and adapt the rest of the lenses from the olympus om or canon fd system as I own quite a few lenses from both. I should also mention that it will be used more for social photography than street photography where I find, it is very akward using a DSLR where everyone is staring at you with a huge sigma 50mm f1.4 art and the loud mirror slap that turns heads in resturants. Not to mention that where I live, security personnel stop me on the streets way more with a DSLR than when the OM-1 is used because they are concerned I may be doing survailence work for some weird organization.

Jan 18, 2016 at 02:37 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fuji X-E1 vs Sony a6000 vs Olympus omd em-5

millsart wrote:
Agreed, the idea of a DSLR being "intimidating", needing a "stealth" camera et al., really is less than comfortable "street" shooters of the internet photography forum age looking for something to blame their own insecurity upon.

In the real world no one ever thinks things like " oh, it looks like he's using an old film camera, I don't care if he takes my picture". Sorry to burst the photo forum bubble, but no one has ever thought that.

Subject don't magically go for being intimidated to suddenly the worlds most photogenic person because your lens diameter went from 77
...Show more

Really, take Millsarts and Rattymouse word for it and now mine too.

If you think that getting a smaller "more discreet" camera will improve, or even get you in to street photography more, you are most likely wrong. That's not saying you shouldn't get a mirror less or small camera if you want it but don't expect it get you in to street photography.

I sold my Nikon D700 in favor of the Olympus E-M5 when the Olympus was released. I was a fairly early adopter of it. I sold the D700 and got the E-M5 for the exact same reason, because I though the smaller, lighter and quieter camera would make me dare to get in to street photography much easier. I too felt that the D700, even with a small 50mm lens, scared my subjects.

The reality, and one of my favorite quotes is that "Fear exists only in your mind" couldn't be more true in this case. The E-M5 and now E-M1 with small lenses, quiet shutters (silent with electronic) hasn't done one bit for me to get in to street photography. I am still as scared about it as I was before which is odd since I am have no problem with strangers otherwise.

In the end, in some ways I regret selling my D700 even though I truly love the m43 system and the OM-D cameras.

If you wanna switch or add a smaller system, go ahead! I don't think you will be disappointed, just make sure you do it for the right reasons!

Jan 18, 2016 at 04:00 PM
barisaxer
• • •
[X]
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fuji X-E1 vs Sony a6000 vs Olympus omd em-5

I shoot both the xe1 and the omd em5 still and love both. the oly system is used for travel it is much smaller. Like the files a bit better from the Fuji and love the Fuji ergos more like the old film cameras I grew up with. Showing my age to be sure. I would look at the lenses you are most likely to end up with and make my decision based on size oly or glass would depend on your needs. I travel with a 9-18 12-40 and 40-150 and can do most everything I want with that. The Fuji 18-55 and most of their fixed lenses are outstanding. Price the glass you want in the end and go that way you can always upgrade a body later.

Jan 18, 2016 at 04:08 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.