Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · RAID Cards: ASUS Motherboard.

Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RAID Cards: ASUS Motherboard.

Anyone utilising a RAID card here? Anyone using one on an ASUS motherboard?

Anything insightful to mention - experiences?

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:22 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RAID Cards: ASUS Motherboard.

What features of a raid card are you looking for over moBo raid? I had a raid card at one point but it had a clunky gui and I never felt comfortable with it.
I have several asus mobos and use the on board raid. It works well for me.
For non OS drive raid, if you have win 8 or 10, I'd take advantage of storage spaces.

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:45 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RAID Cards: ASUS Motherboard.

Cheers. I am currently using the onboard RAID with 4x 2TB WD Caviar Blacks in RAID 10.

Possibly angling toward a new build - a basic build using a RAID card.

A card allows a greater numbers of drives to be used on a basic MoBo.

Just asking to see what other members are running.

Ideally a FreeNAS and +ZFS (as need for space increases) with the added benefit of checksumming.

Jan 18, 2016 at 02:12 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RAID Cards: ASUS Motherboard.

if you're going to build a NAS, you may want to check the Asrock C2250 mobo (from their asrockrack server product line) (I may not have the p/n exact, its the small brother of the C2750). Something like direct support for 12 drives.

If you do go w/ RAID card, stick w/ LSI (or whatever they've become) and I cant remember the name of the other. Firmware and experience counts so dont go cheap.

Jan 18, 2016 at 07:28 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RAID Cards: ASUS Motherboard.

I can't say more about a raid card, but for non OS drives have you considered Windows Storage Spaces? It appears more flexible, especially if your card dies. With storage spaces you can plug the raid into any win 8/10 pc and use it.

Also I forgot to mention....
Many of the newer Asus mobos will accept the inexpensive Asus Thunderbolt adapter card.
My Raid 1 for data sits in a thunderbolt jbod 4-bay housing. The rate limiting speed is the spinning disc. I like the simplicity since I don't need NAS. I can easily take the jbod array and plug it into my other computer and the whole Storage Spaces array is immediately recognized. If both my jdob housings died, I could take all the bare drives and put them each in a single drive sata enclosure and windows would still recognize the array. If I decided on a NAS device but did not need multiple user access, I'd probably buy another nic card and plug the NAS directly to my pc via an ethernet cable.

Jan 18, 2016 at 07:38 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RAID Cards: ASUS Motherboard.

Paul Mo wrote:
Cheers. I am currently using the onboard RAID with 4x 2TB WD Caviar Blacks in RAID 10.

Possibly angling toward a new build - a basic build using a RAID card.

A card allows a greater numbers of drives to be used on a basic MoBo.

Just asking to see what other members are running.

Ideally a FreeNAS and +ZFS (as need for space increases) with the added benefit of checksumming.

You should probably have a poke around the FreeNAS forums - you need a card that has good support in the OS and is rock solid stable. You don't need to buy a top of the range RAID card for ZFS as you do all the checksumming in software - the card is simply giving you more ports.

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:43 PM
aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RAID Cards: ASUS Motherboard.

If you are trying to build a file server using FreeNAS or some variant of BSD using ZFS, you need a Host Bus Adapter (HBA) card, not a raid card. The HBA is able to pass through the attached SATA drives directly to the OS without a RAID layer, which is how ZFS is designed to work. In addition to the FreeNAS community page, I would suggest you check out the ServeTheHome forum

http://www.servethehome.com/

which provides a lot of useful tutorials and walkthroughs in addition to the forums. You will find specific recommendations and reviews of hardware (motherboards, ram, HBA cards etc) that work well with FreeNAS.

Jan 18, 2016 at 01:05 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RAID Cards: ASUS Motherboard.

That's a good point actually, as some RAID cards won't function as HBA's and will only offer RAID modes. They are no use for ZFS. In the end, the card of choice appears to be an LSI 9211.

Personally i am now pretty much maxed out on SATA, with 6 HDD's (as 2 ZFS arrays), an SSD and a DVD-R loaded in my server. So my next drive expansion will need an HBA card. It will likely be a 9211 with 8 ports.

Jan 18, 2016 at 02:15 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.