Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Need Help for Trip to Klamath for Eagles and other Wildlife...

cohenfive
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need Help for Trip to Klamath for Eagles and other Wildlife...

I am hoping to get up to Klamath in the next month or so for a couple of days of shooting of eagles and whatever else there is of interest...if we ever get some good weather that is.

Anyway, I could use some help in planning the trip. We won't be going during the weekend of the big festival as it is mostly sold out now, so the trip will be on our own. Places we should go to see birds, raptors, etc, lodging recommendations, etc. would be very helpful.

We have thought about going up the past couple of winters, but since we didn't really get a winter, have delayed until this year. Looking forward to the trip. Thanks!

Jan 17, 2016 at 10:22 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need Help for Trip to Klamath for Eagles and other Wildlife...

Still looking for some advice, thanks!

Jan 19, 2016 at 07:43 PM
JimLittle
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need Help for Trip to Klamath for Eagles and other Wildlife...

I was going today and coming back tomorrow, but the weather seems too iffy.
Hoping for better the next 2-3 weeks...

Jan 20, 2016 at 09:09 AM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need Help for Trip to Klamath for Eagles and other Wildlife...

Where do people go up there? Lower Klamath, Tule Lake and the fly out? Anywhere else?

Jan 20, 2016 at 07:56 PM
JimLittle
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need Help for Trip to Klamath for Eagles and other Wildlife...

Call the office during the day....

Mailing Address:

4009 Hill Rd

Tulelake, California 96134

E-mail [email protected]

Phone (530) 667-2231

Fax (530) 667-833

I start with the auto routes then meander the local roads......pretty easy to find birds.

Jan 20, 2016 at 08:23 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need Help for Trip to Klamath for Eagles and other Wildlife...

Thanks, any other advice much appreciated. Any fun places to stay or eat up there?

Jan 23, 2016 at 03:29 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need Help for Trip to Klamath for Eagles and other Wildlife...

Best places would be the autoroute along Lower Klamath Lake. At the end of the autoroute, near the main highway, there are a bunch of large trees where one should be able to see several eagles perched in those trees. But along the autoroute you may chance upon some others. Snow and Greater White fronted geese will be in the thousands along the outer autoroute

Tule Lake is also OK, in addition to possibly seeing Prairie Falcons along Hill Road (which is where the Visitor's Center is located). The "drain flats" as some locals call the place would be the areas along the north side of the main Stateline highway where there are ditches and probably some frozen fields. You may see raptors and perhaps eagles there feeding on a catch.

There is a tree snag about 100 yards south of Veterans Memorial Park in Klamath Falls which is known for an eagle perch. You can walk to get closer to the tree snag (which is also visible from the main highway approaching Klamath Falls). In general, if the Lake is mostly frozen over with less or smaller open water, you are less likely to see ducks and coots with eagles watching over for opportunities.

I would not recommend the flyout because the eagles leave their perches very early in the morning in poor light and anyway it is out of even long telephoto range. OK for bin and spotting scope viewing though. Parking for the flyout could be a hassle because you park alongside a private road near the railroad tracks.

Butte Valley, nearby, is also recommended for raptor viewing.

Best Western Inn is the recommended place in Klamath Falls, although I would also recommend Shiloh Inn which is near the Oregon Technical Institute campus and which has a nice complimentary breakfast.

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:55 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need Help for Trip to Klamath for Eagles and other Wildlife...

I bet there is also a local Audubon Society you could contact

Jan 29, 2016 at 01:01 AM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need Help for Trip to Klamath for Eagles and other Wildlife...

Thanks guys. Weather permitting might go next weekend.

Jan 29, 2016 at 05:37 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need Help for Trip to Klamath for Eagles and other Wildlife...

If you're not looking for cheap, I would suggest the Olympic Inn in Klamath Falls. They do cater to the hunting crowd, if you don't mind that it's a great place to stay. It's my first pick in that area.

Tim

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:28 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need Help for Trip to Klamath for Eagles and other Wildlife...

Thanks Tim. I am going with my wife so nice is better. These sound like the refuges I go to in the central Valley North of Sacramento, just on steroids.

Jan 29, 2016 at 02:21 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need Help for Trip to Klamath for Eagles and other Wildlife...

We are heading up this weekend, sounds like it isn't going to be busy up there since it is a week before the big eagle weekend, and also I've heard there is some sort of football game Sunday.

Since we are coming up from the bay area we are not likely to make it all the up to Klamath falls, which looks about an hour further north than the main refuges in Tulelake area. Is that a big mistake or is there plenty to see if we stay near the Cali/Oregon border refuges? Decided to stay at this quaint lodge in Tulelake right in between the refuges. Sounds like it is going to be fantastic weather, hope we see some good action.

Feb 02, 2016 at 02:34 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.